Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Starr and Young School District No. 19, Lecompton township, Douglas County, Kansas Starr and Young School District No. 19, Lecompton township, Douglas County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 731,901
Bookbag items: 38,003
Registered users: 11,663

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 65

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Clothing - Clothing, Accessory - Button

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 65 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Bone Buttons from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Bone Buttons from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1878-1920
These three bone buttons were recovered during the 1990 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. Shown are two 2-hole pants buttons and a recessed 4-hole sew through button. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.


Bone Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Bone Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1882
These five buttons were recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. All six buttons are bone four hole sew through buttons, likely made with a lathe. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1834-1843
This brass 4-hole sew through button was recovered at the Kaw Mission during the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. It was made by the Benedict & Burnham Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. The company produced brass buttons from 1834-1843. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Brass Buttons from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Brass Buttons from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1878-1978
These three buttons were recovered during the 1990 and 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field schools at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The brass buttons are 4-hole sew through style. One has cotton thread present within the sew through holes. One button has the advertising "BEST SOLID EYELET" and another advertises "IMPROVED FOUR HOLES." These two buttons are generally associated with work wear. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.


Button and Buttonhook from the Woods Site, 14CY30

Button and Buttonhook from the Woods Site, 14CY30
Date: Between 1850 and 1920
This button and buttonhook were recovered from a Clay County Middle Ceramic period village with a historic component near the surface. The black and brown china button is decorated in a bullseye pattern. Buttonhooks were used to aid in fastening tight buttons, often on boots or gloves.


Button from a Kansa Site, 14SH302

Button from a Kansa Site, 14SH302
Date: 1820-1848 CE
This navy blue glass button was recovered from 14SH302. The button was a surface find during a 2014 survey by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and volunteers. 14SH302 is the possible location of American Chief's Village, the smallest of three Kansa Indian Villages in Shawnee County. It is a cone shaped button with a loop attachment.


Buttons from 14CT380

Buttons from 14CT380
Date: 1900-1965
These buttons were recovered in 1995 during an archeological salvage project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at a Chautauqua County farmstead. One metal button front advertises the "LAKIN MCKEY" company, manufacturers of work wear from 1908 to 1938. Another metal button front has the words "THE TOOTLE," though the reference is unknown. Also shown is a Bakelite (early synthetic plastic) two-hole sew through button and a plastic molded cut out shank button with a blue and gold geometric pattern. Another plastic blue speckled two-hole sew through button was recovered from the cistern at the farmstead.


Buttons from 14LV334

Buttons from 14LV334
Date: 1830-1900
These four buttons were collected from a multicomponent site overlooking the Missouri River in Leavenworth County. The site, with occupations in the Middle Ceramic and Historic periods, may have once been a Kickapoo habitation site in addition to later habitations. The buttons include a ladies dress button made of jet with a linear design and a loop or shank back; a metal four-hole sew through button, likely for pants; a white china four-hole dish button; and a wooden recessed four-hole sew through button.


Buttons from 14MY349

Buttons from 14MY349
Date: 1853-1920
These three buttons were collected from a multicomponent site in Montgomery County with both Historic and Early Ceramic period artifacts. They were donated in 1972 and 1973 to the Kansas Historical Society. The site has been much impacted by pot hunters and a reservoir. From left to right they are a black Novelty Rubber Company Goodyear button with a loop attachment that dates to 1853-1886; a plain wooden button painted black with a flat top and a loop attachment; and an iridescent button, possibly glass, depicting a mill and water wheel with a loop attachment.


Buttons from a Chautauqua County Farmstead, 14CT374

Buttons from a Chautauqua County Farmstead, 14CT374
Date: 1878-1935
These buttons were recovered from a farmstead in Chautauqua County during a 1995 salvage excavation by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. Shown are a bone 4-hole sew-through button, a glass 4-hole dish button, and a black cut-out shank button with a floral and geometric art deco decorative style, popular in the 1920s and 1930s.


Buttons from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Buttons from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1856-1986
These four white buttons were recovered from Constitution Hall in Lecompton during excavations in 1988 by Kansas Historical archeologists and crew members. The buttons shown here are a child's four-hole shell button, a china four-hole Prosser button, a four-hole dish button, and a single hole button with concentric rings. Constitution Hall served as the seat of the Kansas Territorial government in 1857 and 1858. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
These three buttons are just a few examples of the many buttons collected during excavation in 1966 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at historic Fort Hays. On the far left is a gilt button front. In the center is a fast deteriorating composite button made of glass, brass and ferrous materials with a red enamel flower under the glass. On the right is a brass button with a fragment of enamel decoration still present. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Buttons from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Buttons from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
Shown are two buttons recovered from Fort Zarah during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. Both buttons have alpha shank backs. One was made of black painted metal and is decorated with rosettes. The other is a white dome style button with a brown swirl pattern. Fort Zarah, located along the Santa Fe trail in Barton County, was active from 1864 to 1869.


Buttons from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Buttons from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These five buttons were recovered from Fort Zarah. Shown are two china 4-hole dish buttons, a bone 4-hole button with a recessed center, a metal 4-hole pants button, and a shell 2-hole sew through button with a raised center. The buttons were excavated during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. Fort Zarah was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County manned between 1864 to 1869.


Buttons from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327

Buttons from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327
Date: 1855-1912
These five buttons were just a few of those recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. Osawatomie and the Adairs were much involved with the abolitionist movement during the "Bleeding Kansas" years. The buttons include two bone 4-hole recessed buttons, half of a dark blue china 4-hole button, a metal loop or shank button that may have once had a pattern, and a small metal 2-hole button.


Buttons from the Baker House and Store, 14MO701

Buttons from the Baker House and Store, 14MO701
Date: 1862
These five buttons were among the many collected during excavations in 1972-1973 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University). Shown are two white four-hole piecrusts china buttons, a black and gold fancy button, a white two-hole prosser button and a four-hole dish button. The collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Buttons from the Baker Store, 14MO701

Buttons from the Baker Store, 14MO701
Date: 1862
These glass buttons were recovered from the Baker store in Morris County by the Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school in 1973. From left to right: a blue 4-hole dish button, a calico button, a 2-hole button with blue around the edge, and a gold and white 4-hole piecrust button. The Baker store and nearby house were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Buttons from the Billy Dixon Trading Post, 14EL311

Buttons from the Billy Dixon Trading Post, 14EL311
Date: 1870-1871
These metal buttons were recovered from the possible location of the Billy Dixon Trading Post in Ellis County during the 2013 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. The button on the left is a 4-hole pants button. The two General Service buttons on the right were made by the Scoville Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. Two dugouts were discovered at the site, which may have been a supply stop of early settlers and hunters.


Buttons from the Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Buttons from the Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1856-1986
These five buttons were collected during an excavation in 1988 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew members at Constitution Hall in Lecompton. Shown are a wooden four-hole sew through button, a green and white china calico button in a dot pattern, and a two-hole sew through green glass button. Also shown are a black glass or jet shank button with gold trim and brown and pink two-hole button, possibly of celluloid. The site served as the seat of the Kansas Territorial government in 1857 and 1858. The constitutional convention that drafted the Lecompton Constitution also met here. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace the building's construction history prior to renovation.


Buttons from the Hog Pen Site, 14JO401

Buttons from the Hog Pen Site, 14JO401
Date: 1850-1900
These four buttons were collected from the Hog Pen site, in Johnson County, a multicomponent site with occupations in the Middle Ceramic period and again in the Historic period. Shown are four china buttons: a black four-hole sew through button, a white four-hole piecrust button, a white dome shaped button with a broken loop back, and a black self shank button with a gold and floral pattern.


Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These eight buttons were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Shown are a broken shell button, a 4-hole button with a purple cast, a clear glass button with an eight-pointed star pattern, a white china dish button with maroon trim, three white china dish buttons, and a black china 2-hole button with traces of gold around the sew-through holes. The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These five buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are three four-hole sew through buttons, one each of wood, china, and shell. Also shown is a brown china two-hole sew through button and a shell and brass loop or shank style button.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These seven buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are a brass button front with a Greek Key pattern and two shell buttons, one with an inset center and the other a three-hole button in a floral shape. Additionally, there are four china buttons: two four-hole dish buttons (one with traces of purple coloring), a three-hole dish button and a two-hole Prosser button in two shades of brown.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1886
Shown are three of many buttons that were recovered from excavation at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, in Doniphan County. The Mission was built as a boarding school for Iowa and Sac and Fox children and later changed its purpose to an Orphan Indian Institute. Shown are a four hole sew through wooden or bone button with a fifth hole partially drilled in the center. The small shell button is also a four hole sew through, and likely was used for a child's or infant's clothing. The final button shown is a four hole dish china button with a brown asterisk calico pattern.


Buttons from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop14JO356

Buttons from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop14JO356
Date: 1858-1886
These four buttons were recovered at excavations in 1988 during a joint venture between Kansas Historical Society archeologists, Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers, and the City of Olathe. The buttons include a bone 2-hole trouser button, a white glass 4-hole dish button, a fragment of a black 2-hole button with a series of molded decorations around the edge and sew-through holes, and a black glass faceted button front. The site, 14JO356, consisted of the residence and out buildings built by James and Lucinda Mahaffie in 1858. The farmstead later served as a stagecoach stop on the Santa Fe trail.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.