Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

John H. Plumb World War I scrapbook John H. Plumb World War I scrapbook

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,314
Bookbag items: 35,868
Registered users: 10,931

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 28

Category Filters

Places - Cities and towns - Richland

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 28 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Atlas of Marshall County, Kansas

Atlas of Marshall County, Kansas
Creator: Anderson Publishing Company
Date: c1922
This atlas shows maps of each township with the names of landowners. It has a patrons' directory, and plats of towns as of the year of publication, a map of the state, United States, and world. The Farmers' Directory is by township and lists the wife and children.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows the storefronts in Richland, Kansas. The businesses are identified from left to right as the following: the barbershop, the grocery and meat market and a unidentified business. Founded in 1854, the town was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1889
This black and white photograph shows the storefronts on the north side of Board Street in Richland, Kansas. The only sign on the businesses designates the Post Office. Founded in 1854, the town was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1890
This black and white photograph shows a group of people standing in front of businesses in Richland, Kansas. Founded in 1854, the town was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows the storefronts in Richland, Kansas. The businesses are identified from left to right as the following: the barbershop and the groceries and meat market. The town of Richland was founded in 1854 and was located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows storefronts in Richland, Kansas. The businesses are identified from left to right as the following: the barbershop, the groceries and meat market and a unidentified business. The town of Richland was founded in 1854 and was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town was abandon when the Corps of Engineers acquired land for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Broken pavement is the only remnant of Richland that remains.


Drug store and hotel, Richland, Kansas

Drug store and hotel, Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1940
This photograph shows an exterior view of a drug store and a hotel and short order business in Richland Kansas. There are five people visible standing in front of the hotel. The drug store sign is visible to the right of the tree trunk.


Float

Float
Date: between 1879 and 1882
Nels Ferguson, a Swedish immigrant, used this float in his work as a stonemason. He was involved in the construction of the Kansas Statehouse and the Topeka State Hospital. Ferguson later settled with his family in Richland Township in Jewell County, Kansas. He used his stonemason tools in the construction of his stone farmstead, Rock Hill Farm.


Georgia Neese Clark Gray

Georgia Neese Clark Gray
Date: Between 1935 and 1940
A formal portrait of Georgia Neese Clark Gray, 1900-1995, of Richland, Kansas. Gray was National Committeewoman for the Democratic Party, 1936-1964, and was appointed by President Harry S. Truman on June 9, 1949 as the first woman to serve as the U. S. Treasurer, 1949-1953.


Georgia Neese Clark Gray

Georgia Neese Clark Gray
Date: 1949
This is a signed studio portrait of Georgia Neese Clark Gray, 1900-1995. Gray was National Committeewoman for the Democratic Party, 1936-1964. On June 9, 1949, President Harry S. Truman appointed her as the first woman to serve as the U. S. Treasurer. She served from 1949-1953. She was born in 1898 in Richland, Kansas, to Albert and Ellen Neese, Gray attended school in Topeka and graduated from Washburn College in 1921. During college, she developed an interest in acting and after graduation attended the Franklin Sargent School of Dramatic Art and spent nearly ten years acting with various stock companies. She married her manager, George M. Clark in 1929. They divorced in the mid-1940s. She started working at her father's Richland State Bank as an assistant cashier in 1935 and became president in 1937 following his death. She became active in the state Democratic Party and was elected National Committee Woman in Kansas in 1936, a position she held until 1964. She was an articulate and well-liked representative of the party and an early supporter of Harry Truman. It was this support that brought about her nomination as the first woman to be Treasurer of the United States. She served in that office from June 1949 until January 1953 when Truman left office.


Mason's level

Mason's level
Creator: Stanley Rule & Level Company
Date: between 1879 and 1882
Nels Ferguson, a Swedish immigrant, used this level in his work as a stonemason. He was involved in the construction of the Kansas Statehouse and the Topeka State Hospital. Ferguson later settled with his family in Richland Township in Jewell County, Kansas. He used his stonemason tools in the construction of his stone farmstead, Rock Hill Farm.


Methodist Church, Richland, Kansas

Methodist Church, Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1895 and 1919
This black and white photograph shows the Methodist Church in Richland, Kansas. Built in 1884, the single frame structure was only the second Methodist Church in the state. Rev. Riggle served as the congregation's first minister. In 1894, a sidewalk was built around the church. The town of Richland was abandoned in the late 1960s and early 1970s when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the only remnants of the town are broken pieces of pavement that once covered the streets.


Missouri Pacific Railroad depot, Richland, Kansas

Missouri Pacific Railroad depot, Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1889 and 1900
This photograph shows a group of people gathered in front of the Missouri Pacific Railroad depot in Richland, Kansas. The town, founded in 1854, was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town was razed when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County.


Missouri Pacific Railroad depot, Richland, Kansas

Missouri Pacific Railroad depot, Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1960
This photograph shows the Missouri Pacific Railroad depot in Richland, Kansas. The town of Richland founded in 1854 and located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town was razed when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the only reminders of Richland is the broken pavement which once covered the streets.


Neese General Store, Richland, Kansas

Neese General Store, Richland, Kansas
Date: 1890s
This black and white photograph shows the Neese General Store in Richland, Kansas. The proprietor of the business, Mr. Neese, wearing a light colored sweater, is standing with a group of people in front of the store. The town of Richland was founded in 1854 and was located in the Monmouth Township in the southwest corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County.


Plumb bob

Plumb bob
Date: between 1879 and 1882
Nels Ferguson, a Swedish immigrant, used this plumb bob in his work as a stonemason. He was involved in the construction of the Kansas Statehouse and the Topeka State Hospital. Ferguson later settled with his family in Richland Township in Jewell County, Kansas. He used his stonemason tools in the construction of his stone farmstead, Rock Hill Farm.


Post Office, Richland, Kansas

Post Office, Richland, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows the post office in Richland, Kansas. The two-story wooden structure closed for business on October 31, 1969, when the town, located along the Wakarusa River in the Monmouth Township in Shawnee County, became a part of the flood plain for Clinton Lake. Today, the only reminder of Richland is the broken pavement that once covered the streets.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1950s and 1960s
This aerial view shows Richland, Kansas. The town was founded, 1854, in the Monmouth Township along the Wakarusa River in Shawnee County. In the late 1960's and early 1970's, Richland was abandoned when the Army Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the only visible reminders of the town is broken pavement which once covered the town's streets.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: 1880s and 1890s
This black and white photograph shows a birds-eye view of Richland, Kansas. Founded in 1854, the town was located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1880s and 1890s
This black and white photograph shows a street scene in Richland, Kansas. The town was founded in 1854 and located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1899
This black and white photograph shows various buildings and carriages on Main Street in Richland, Kansas. Founded in 1854, the town was located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Richland was abandon when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the only remnants of the town are broken pieces of pavement that once covered the streets.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This black and white photograph shows a street scene in Richland, Kansas. The town was founded in 1854 and was located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1900s and 1919s
This black and white photograph shows storefronts on the south side of Broad Street in Richland, Kansas. The town founded ,in 1854, was located in Monmouth Township along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960's and early 1970's, Richland was abandoned when the Army Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the only remainders of the town is the broken pavement which once covered the streets.


Standard atlas of Shawnee County, Kansas

Standard atlas of Shawnee County, Kansas
Creator: Geo. A. Ogle & Co.
Date: 1898
This atlas shows maps of each township with the names of landowners. It has a patrons' directory, and plats of towns as of the year of publication.


Stephen Marshall Crockett

Stephen Marshall Crockett
Creator: Crockett, Stephen Marshall, 1836-1920
Date: January 08, 1906
Stephen Marshall Crockett, Richland, Kansas, wrote this letter to George W. Martin, secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society. Crockett's daughter, Gertrude Wells, gave a membership in the historical society to her father. Crockett writes that his father supervised the farming department of the Shawnee Indian Mission from 1848 until 1854. He writes that his family took a claim west of Lawrence in 1854 and moved to one west of Lecompton in 1856. He remembers Martin working for one of the Lecompton newspapers as a boy.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.