Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Walker Winslow correspondence Walker Winslow correspondence

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 731,303
Bookbag items: 37,841
Registered users: 11,613

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 24

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Tools & Equipment for Science & Technology - Medical & Psychological

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 24 of 24 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Army first aid kit

Army first aid kit
Date: between 1943 and 1946
United States Army first aid pouch. Used by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Bleeding cup

Bleeding cup
Date: between 1840 and 1900
This bloodletting cup was owned by Dr. James Haller (1824-1908). Haller practiced medicine in Middletown, Ohio, in the 1840s and 1850s, and was a surgeon during the Civil War with the 38th Ohio Infantry from July 24, 1861 to Jan 4, 1865. He was promoted to Assistant Surgeon July 13, 1863. After the war, Dr. Haller and his family moved to Burlingame, Kansas where he continued to practice medicine. Cups were used to perform the medical treatment of bleeding. The glass cup was heated and placed on the skin. Its cooling created a vacuum, causing the skin to become red and swollen and signaling to the physician that the blood had risen to the surface of the skin. Then a lancet was used to release the "bad" blood from the body.


Blood lancet

Blood lancet
Creator: Wiegand and Snowden
Date: between 1820 and 1880
This brass lancet with wooden case was made by Wiegand and Snowden of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania sometime between 1820 and 1880. The brass lever on its side releases the blade. The donor claimed the lancet was used by Dr. James Haller, who practiced in Middletown, Ohio, in the 1840s and 1850s. He later was a surgeon with General William T. Sherman's army during the Civil War.


Dental case

Dental case
Date: between 1871 and 1907
Rosewood case with metal hardware. Hinged lid plus three drawers, one on the front and one on each side. Side drawers include one secondary drawer each. The case contains a set of ivory-handled dental instruments (1951.19.2 to 95). Belonged to Dr. Eben Palmer (1846-1916). Palmer began praciticing dentistry in his native Ohio in 1871, and relocated with his family to Jackson County, Kansas in 1881. He remained in practice in Jackson County until his retirement in 1907.


Dr Haines' Golden Treatment

Dr Haines' Golden Treatment
Creator: Golden Specific Company
Date: between 1890 and 1900
Yellow cardboard package labeled "Dr. Haines Golden Treatment for the Liquor Habit." James Wilkins Haines was a Quaker minister, homeopathic physician, and alleged practitioner of quack medicine. Operating in Cincinnati, Ohio, in the late 19th century, Haines promoted a popular false theory that ingesting bichloride of gold cured alcoholism. Advertised as the Golden Treatment, the tablets contained benign substances and trace amounts of ipecac. Medicinal cures for alcoholism were popular during the Temperance movement.


Dr. Williams Pink Pills for Pale People

Dr. Williams Pink Pills for Pale People
Creator: Dr. Williams Medicine Company
Date: 1915
Round wooden pill container marketing (and originally containing) Dr. Williams Pink Pills for Pale People. Containing a combination of iron oxide and Epsom salts, Dr. Williams' Pink Pills were marketed to Civil War veterans with digestive problems, malaria, wounds, and emotional disturbances. Later advertisements claimed the pills were a remedy for many female ailments and could restore the blood and nerves. They were marketed through Dr. Williams' Medicine Company (the trading arm of G. T. Fulford & Company) of Schenectady, N.Y.


Forceps

Forceps
Creator: Caswell, Hazard & Co.
Date: between 1880 and 1891
Obstetrical forceps. Black wooden handles. From the medical office of Dr. Floyd E. Richmond (1872-1955) of Stockton, Kansas. Dr. Richmond practiced medicine in Stockton for thirty years, and his office was upstairs in the Dye Building. He also served as the Postmaster of Logan. W.F. Ford first joined with Caswell, Hazard and Company in 1874. They dissolved the partnership in 1891, although both firms remained in operation through at least 1900.


Forceps

Forceps
Date: between 1917 and 1940
Hemostatic forceps. Made by Kny-Scheerer, Germany. Belonged to John R. Brinkley (1885-1942). Brinkley first established his medical practice in Milford, Kansas in 1917. He gained national fame as a "goat gland" doctor, and further promoted himself and his procedure on his own radio station, KFKB. Brinkley shifted his operations to Del Rio, Texas in the early 1930s, and relocated again to Little Rock, Arkansas in 1938.


IQ test

IQ test
Creator: Judge Baker Foundation
Date: between 1917 and 1918
This kit is an intelligence-measuring test developed by William Healy in 1917 and manufactured by the Stoelting Company in Chicago. It is designed to test cognitive abilities through non-verbal means. I.Q. tests became especially popular during World War I (1914-1918) when they were used to rapidly assess and classify large numbers of men.


Iron lung

Iron lung
Creator: J.H. Emerson Co.
Date: 1957
Cylindrical metal electrical respirator, or iron lung, manufactured by the J. H. Emerson Company of Cambridge, Massachusetts. The machine forces a patient's lungs to inhale and exhale through changes in air pressure. Iron lungs were commonly used to help polio sufferers breath. This iron lung was used at the Veteran's Administration hospital in Topeka, Kansas, in the 1950s and 1960s.


Medical hammer

Medical hammer
Date: between 1917 and 1940
Medical hammer. Nickel-plated with red rubber head. Belonged to John R. Brinkley (1885-1942). Brinkley first established his medical practice in Milford, Kansas in 1917. He gained national fame as a "goat gland" doctor, and further promoted himself and his procedure on his own radio station, KFKB. Brinkley shifted his operations to Del Rio, Texas in the early 1930s, and relocated again to Little Rock, Arkansas in 1938.


Medicine bottle

Medicine bottle
Creator: The A.B. Seelye Company
Date: between 1919 and 1926
Empty clear glass bottle for Seelye's Wasa-Tusa, "For Man and Beast, Internal and External." The A.B. Seelye Company of Abilene was established in 1890 and incorporated in 1897. It became one of the few large patent medicine concerns in the central prairie states. Wasa-Tusa was first released around 1890. The Obear-Nester Glass Company of East St. Louis used the Square-N mark from 1915 until 1978. This bottle came from a drug store and soda fountain in Delia, Kansas.


Medicine bottle

Medicine bottle
Date: between 1941 and 1945
Small brown glass medicine bottle containing vitamin C (ascorbic acid) pills. The bottle has an aluminum screw-on lid and a paper label around the exterior. Col. James C. Hughes may have acquired the pills while being held as a Japanese Prisoner of War during World War II. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. During the latter conflict, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Medicine bottle

Medicine bottle
Creator: Kurtz Medicine Company
Date: between 1906 and 1925
Bottle of Kurtz's Electric Oil, a patent medicine liniment made by the Kurtz Medicine Company of Fort Scott, Kansas. Glass bottle with paper label is stopped with a cork and still contains 4 mm of brown liquid. Also includes the orginal paper box. David Haynes Kurtz (1856-1923) came to Fort Scott from Pennsylvania in 1886. His drug store was located at 6 North Main Street, and he eventually expanded the business to include wholesale patent medicine.


Medicine bottle

Medicine bottle
Creator: The Abilena Company
Date: between 1913 and 1919
AbilenA Water. Brown bottle with tin cap and yellow, red, and blue paper label. Bottle is about half full of clear liquid with white sediments at bottom. AbilenA Water was drawn from a well in northern Willowdale Township, Dickinson County. It was first bottled by P.H. Halleck and H.E. Ellison in 1900. Their original company, the Abilene Drug Company, was reorganized as the AbilenA Company in 1901 with a capital stock of $10,000. At that time the water sold for $0.25 per bottle. The company headquarters moved to Chicago in 1919. Advertisments for the water disappear from newspapers in the mid 1940s. This bottle came from the drug store of long-time Hutchinson druggist Terry L. Foltz.


Medicine box

Medicine box
Creator: Stocks, Chester L.
Date: between 1896 and 1934
Counter display for Dr. C.L. Stocks' Kansas Headache Cure containing twelve individual boxes of medicine. The display and boxes are cardboard faced with pale blue paper. The individual boxes each have a white label printed in dark blue. Chester L. Stocks was Bushong's only druggist and medical doctor from 1896 to 1934.


Medicine box

Medicine box
Date: between 1923 and 1938
Jar of Vaporizing Mentho-Goose-Grease Compound distributed by Foltz Pharmacy of Hutchinson. Includes opaque white octagonal jar with lid, orginal box, and blue paper envelope with a free sample of Foltz's Cold Capsules. Terry L. Foltz (1885-1970), who was born in Cimarron, came to Hutchinson in 1904. He opened his first drug store in Hutchinson in 1913 at 325 North Main Street. By 1919 he had expanded to three stores, all along Main Street. In 1938 he reduced his number of stores, although he continued to work as a pharmacist in Hutchinson until the time of his death.


Medicine jar

Medicine jar
Creator: A.B. Seelye Company
Date: between 1923 and 1940
Jar of Seelye's Fro-Zona ointment. Opaque white glass jar with black metal lid and paper label. The A.B. Seelye Company of Abilene was established in 1890 and incorporated in 1897. It became one of the few large patent medicine concerns in the central prairie states.


Medicine tin

Medicine tin
Creator: Mentholatum Company
Date: between 1906 and 1935
Small round tin of Mentholatum. Cover illustration of a young girl dressed as a nurse. Manufactured by the Mentholatum Company of Wichita. The company was originally founded as the Yucca Company in 1889 by Albert Alexander Hyde (1848-1935) and two partners as a manufacturer of soaps, shaving creams, and perfumes. In 1894 Hyde developed Mentholatum ointment, which was an immediate success and quickly became the company's top selling product. In 1903 Hyde organized a second office in Buffalo, New York to handle sales and distribution east of the Mississippi River. In 1906 the business was renamed The Mentholatum Company and it stopped producing any other products. In 1909-10 they built a large factory in Wichita at 1300 E. Douglas, the City's first steel-reinforced, poured-concrete structure. They built a second factory in Buffalo in 1919. After Hyde's death in 1935 the company headquarters were relocated to Buffalo.


Pill machine

Pill machine
Date: between 1850 and 1930
Pill roller consisting of an inclined base and a two-handled paddle. Wooden with brass hardware, including a brass plate with semi-circular channels both towards the bottom of the base and on one face of the paddle. The medicine, while still a putty-like consistency, is rolled between the flat side of the paddle and the upper part of the base into a rope of uniform diameter. The paddle is flipped over and the rope is forced perpendicularly between the channels of the two brass plates, creating identically-sized pills that are then air dried. This roller has a capacity of twenty-five pills and bears a Diamond-M or Diamond-W maker's mark on the back of the paddle.


Pyrex Glass Bottle Stopper from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327

Pyrex Glass Bottle Stopper from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327
Date: 1915-1998
This bottle stopper was recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. While Osawatomie was much involved with the abolitionist movement during the "Bleeding Kansas" years, this glass bottle stopper was deposited much later. The Pyrex brand bottle stopper was likely used for laboratory glassware.


Scarificator

Scarificator
Date: between 1820 and 1900
Scarificators appeared in the early 1700s and were used for blood letting. The lever on top of the brass box releases a set of blades that snap out of the slits on the base providing a standardized depth and length of cut. This model has twelve blades- the most common number. It was owned by Dr. James Haller who practiced in Middletown, Ohio, in the 1840s and 1850s, and was a surgeon with General Sherman's Army in the U.S. Civil War.


Stethoscope

Stethoscope
Date: between 1860 and 1890
Laennec-style monaural stethoscope. Wooden tube, flared at both ends. Used by James Haller (1824-1907). Haller, a doctor from Middleton, Ohio, was commissioned as an Assistant Surgeon of the 38th Regiment Ohio Volunteers on June 10, 1861. On July 13, 1963 he was promoted to surgeon. Following the Battle of Chickamauga he was trasnferred to the hospital of the Third Division of the 14th Army Corps, where he remained until mustering out on January 9, 1865. Haller and his wife, Annie B. Schenck, settled in Burlingame, Kansas in 1868, where he continued to practice medicine. Haller served at least two terms as Mayor of Burlingame. He was also appointed by Governor Glick as a regent of the State Normal School at Emporia.


Tonsillotome

Tonsillotome
Creator: Chas. Truax & Co.
Date: between 1887 and 1920
Tonillotome for performing tonsillectomies. Steel rod with a ring at the end. Pulling back on the handle draws a guillotine-style blade across the ring to excise the tonsil. A skewer can also be extended across the ring to hold the tonsil in place during the procedure and extract it with the instrument. Charles Truax and Company was founded in Chicago in 1887 as a partnership between Charles Truax, Frank C. Greene, and Charles W. Bassett. Sometime after 1893 the name was changed to Truax, Greene & Company, and the business was dissolved in 1920.


Showing 1 - 24

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.