Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union memory book Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union memory book

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 636,155
Bookbag items: 37,352
Registered users: 11,348

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 11

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Structures - Building Component

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 11 of 11 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Architectural sample

Architectural sample
Creator: Quarra Stone Company
Date: between 1999 and 2005
Limestone block with one face finished with sample of a "pitch-drove" surface. Prepared by the Quarra Stone Company of Madison, Wisconsin as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Architectural sample

Architectural sample
Creator: Quarra Stone Company
Date: between 1999 and 2005
Limestone block with one face finished with sample of a "pitch-faced" surface. Prepared by the Quarra Stone Company of Madison, Wisconsin as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Architectural sample

Architectural sample
Creator: Quarra Stone Company
Date: between 1999 and 2005
Limestone block with one face finished with sample of a "pitch-crandle" surface. Prepared by the Quarra Stone Company of Madison, Wisconsin as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Board

Board
Date: between 1940 and 1945
Square wooden panel used to line the base of the inner dome of the Kansas State Capitol. Made of two 1x12 boards nailed onto two 1x2 rails. Removed from the Capitol as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Board

Board
Date: 1945
Round wooden panel used to support the Foucuault pendulum suspended from the inner dome of the Kansas State Capitol. The Foucault pendulum was installed at the Capitol on November 15, 1945 by Dr. George W. Davis of Ottowa. The orginal pendulum weighed 105 pounds, although its weight was eventually increased to 205 pounds. It was suspended by a 163 foot long piece of number 14 wire. The pendulum's motion was started each morning by custodian L.D. Robinson, and it swung in a 14 foot arc.


Board

Board
Date: between 1940 and 1945
Square wooden panel used to line the base of the inner dome of the Kansas State Capitol. Made of two 1x12 boards nailed onto two 1x2 rails. Removed from the Capitol as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Gallows crossbeam fragment

Gallows crossbeam fragment
Date: between 1860 and 1865
Fragment of the crossbeam from gallows scaffold. Long rectangular pine block. The beam was part of the scaffold used to execute the conspirators of Abraham Lincoln's assassination. The following individuals were hanged from this scaffold on 7 July 1865: David E. Herold, George A. Atzerodt, Lewis Payne, and Mary Surratt. After the execution, the scaffold was disassembled and housed in the Washington (D.C.) Barracks. While pieces of lumber from the gallows were reused in other projects, the crossbeam was hidden to discourage souvenir hunters. In 1885, the secretary of the Kansas Historical Society wrote to the Quartermaster's Office at the Washington Barracks and requested a piece of the gallows for the Society's collections. Lieutenant Sebree Smith sent this fragment, along with a letter of authentication from a man who worked there when the pieces of the gallows were brought to the barracks.


Keys from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Keys from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1857-1971
These keys are just two of the many that were recovered from excavations at the Last Chance Store in Council Grove during the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program. The larger skeleton key would have unlocked a door. The small brass key would have unlocked a trunk and was recovered from between the two floors within the store. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Roof tile

Roof tile
Date: between 1879 and 1880
This ceramic roof tile came from the Hetherington House in Atchison, Kansas. Webster Wirt Hetherington was a prominent businessman in Atchison. He worked at the Exchange National Bank his family established in 1859. Designed by architect Alfred Meier, the Hetherington house was built between 1879 and 1880 by contractor John Peterson. This tile was donated to the museum when the Kansas Historical Society was considering making the Hetherington House one of its historic sites.


Stained glass window

Stained glass window
Date: 1924
This wheat-themed stained glass window came from the second floor of the West Side Christian Church in Topeka, Kansas. Formed in 1909, the congregation was originally named the Auburndale Christian Church. Under the leadership of Reverend Clara Hazelrigg, the congregation constructed its first church at 6th Street and Lindenwood Avenue in 1924. Designed by Topeka architect Walter E. Glover, the building was decorated with art glass windows. The church was demolished in 1959 and replaced with a larger structure.


Stained glass window pane

Stained glass window pane
Date: 1933
Leaded glass windowpane with stained glass depicting a man spreading seed on a farmstead. One of a set of three windows depicting farming seasons. The window originally decorated the 1933 home of Senator Arthur Capper, located on Topeka Boulevard in Topeka, Kansas. Following Capper's death, the home was used as the studio of WIBW radio. The windows later moved with the studio to a building on Menninger Hill in western Topeka.


Showing 1 - 11

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.