Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

11,500 BCE - 1 CE (1)
1854-1860 (1)
1861-1869 (1)
1870s (1)
1880s (2)
1890s (1)
1900s (6)
1910s (5)
1920s (8)
1930s (5)
1940s (3)
1950s (1)
1960s (1)
1970s (1)
1980s (1)
2000s (3)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Walker Winslow correspondence Walker Winslow correspondence

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,240
Bookbag items: 35,874
Registered users: 10,890

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 32

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Structures

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 32 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


An Agrarian Site in Phillips County, 14PH315

An Agrarian Site in Phillips County, 14PH315
Date: 1979
Shown are the remains of a limestone foundation and wall as they stood when the slide was shot in 1979 by a Kansas Historical Society archeologist. Each stone had tool dressing marks on from hand quarrying. The highest portion of the wall was 3 feet and it is estimated that the structure, purpose unknown, measured 16 feet by 10 feet.


Architectural sample

Architectural sample
Creator: Quarra Stone Company
Date: between 1999 and 2005
Limestone block with one face finished with sample of a "pitch-crandle" surface. Prepared by the Quarra Stone Company of Madison, Wisconsin as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Architectural sample

Architectural sample
Creator: Quarra Stone Company
Date: between 1999 and 2005
Limestone block with one face finished with sample of a "pitch-drove" surface. Prepared by the Quarra Stone Company of Madison, Wisconsin as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Architectural sample

Architectural sample
Creator: Quarra Stone Company
Date: between 1999 and 2005
Limestone block with one face finished with sample of a "pitch-faced" surface. Prepared by the Quarra Stone Company of Madison, Wisconsin as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Barbwire section

Barbwire section
Date: 1881
Harbaugh's Torn Ribbon, patented June 7, 1881 by Joseph W. Harbaugh of Lawrence, Kansas.


Board

Board
Date: between 1940 and 1945
Square wooden panel used to line the base of the inner dome of the Kansas State Capitol. Made of two 1x12 boards nailed onto two 1x2 rails. Removed from the Capitol as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Board

Board
Date: between 1940 and 1945
Square wooden panel used to line the base of the inner dome of the Kansas State Capitol. Made of two 1x12 boards nailed onto two 1x2 rails. Removed from the Capitol as part of the 1999 to 2014 Capitol preservation and restoration project.


Board

Board
Date: 1945
Round wooden panel used to support the Foucuault pendulum suspended from the inner dome of the Kansas State Capitol. The Foucault pendulum was installed at the Capitol on November 15, 1945 by Dr. George W. Davis of Ottowa. The orginal pendulum weighed 105 pounds, although its weight was eventually increased to 205 pounds. It was suspended by a 163 foot long piece of number 14 wire. The pendulum's motion was started each morning by custodian L.D. Robinson, and it swung in a 14 foot arc.


Boureilles - From Bridge, France

Boureilles - From Bridge, France
Creator: Hughes, James Clark, 1888-1964
Date: 1919
As part of the Army of Occupation, Captain Hughes had an opportunity to take photos of the war torn area of France. This photo taken from a bridge near Boureilles, France shows ruins of nearby structures. James C. Hughes, as part of the 35th Division, left Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and traveled to Hoboken, New Jersey, where he boarded the troop ship "Ceramic" on May 18, 1918. Hughes arrived in Liverpool, England, on June 1, 1918 and then landed at Le Havre, France, on June 9, 1918. Hughes fought in the battles of St. Michael and the Meuse-Argonne. He was at Verdun on Armistice Day, November 11, 1918. He took no photos of the actual fighting. He did take many photographs after the war as part of the Army of Occupation until he left France on July 18, 1919. A full biography of James Clark Hughes is available at the link below to Kansapedia.


Charles Taylor farm in Hoxie, Kansas

Charles Taylor farm in Hoxie, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1920
This is a photograph of the Charles Taylor farm located south of Hoxie, Kansas. Seven adults and one child are in the photograph, but the only ones identified are Sarah Lister Pratt, Anne Pratt Taylor, and Charles Taylor. Also in the photo are a two-story barn with cupola, wooden windmill, haystack, three horses and wagons in the farmyard.


Court house, Sheridan County, Kansas

Court house, Sheridan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1905 and 1915
These are four photographs of the Sheridan County, Kansas, courthouse in Hoxie, Kansas. Three are postcards. The 1910 photograph shows six people standing in front of the court house: the county clerk, probate judge, county treasurer, registrar, and two men who were working on the roof.


Courthouse in St. Francis, Cheyenne County, Kansas

Courthouse in St. Francis, Cheyenne County, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 to 1930
This is a postcard image of the Cheyenne County, Kansas court house in St. Francis, showing newly planted trees on the courthouse square.


Daub from 14LT324

Daub from 14LT324
Date: 6000 BCE-1000 CE
Daub, like these pieces, is the hardened remains of a clay or soil plastered structure. The clay has stick or grass impressions from when it was plastered onto the framework of the structure. Hardened by fire, this type of artifact preserves well and can sometimes be the only archeological clue that a structure was once present. These examples came from an archeological site in Labette County occupied multiple times from the Late Archaic through the Early Ceramic periods.


Gallows crossbeam fragment

Gallows crossbeam fragment
Date: between 1860 and 1865
Fragment of the crossbeam from gallows scaffold. Long rectangular pine block. The beam was part of the scaffold used to execute the conspirators of Abraham Lincoln's assassination. The following individuals were hanged from this scaffold on 7 July 1865: David E. Herold, George A. Atzerodt, Lewis Payne, and Mary Surratt. After the execution, the scaffold was disassembled and housed in the Washington (D.C.) Barracks. While pieces of lumber from the gallows were reused in other projects, the crossbeam was hidden to discourage souvenir hunters. In 1885, the secretary of the Kansas Historical Society wrote to the Quartermaster's Office at the Washington Barracks and requested a piece of the gallows for the Society's collections. Lieutenant Sebree Smith sent this fragment, along with a letter of authentication from a man who worked there when the pieces of the gallows were brought to the barracks.


Grain elevator in Hoxie, Kansas

Grain elevator in Hoxie, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1935
This photograph is of the Hoxie, Kansas, grain elevator where truckloads of wheat are waiting to be unloaded and sold. Rail cars are visible in the background.


Kansas State Historical Society staff

Kansas State Historical Society staff
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society. Library and Archives Division
Date: 1988
A photograph of the Kansas State Historical Society staff members on the steps of the Memorial Building in Topeka, Kansas.


Keys from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Keys from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1857-1971
These keys are just two of the many that were recovered from excavations at the Last Chance Store in Council Grove during the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program. The larger skeleton key would have unlocked a door. The small brass key would have unlocked a trunk and was recovered from between the two floors within the store. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Log cabin, Sheridan County, Kansas

Log cabin, Sheridan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1878 and 1890
This photograph is of the log house built by Laurel and Katie Tyrrell in 1878.


Monterey, California

Monterey, California
Creator: Hughes, James Clark, 1888-1964
Date: [Date unknown]
Captain Hughes labeled this photo, "Monterey, Town vistas". The photo shows Monterey Bay, in California. Many boats are visible in the bay including some large sailing ships to the right. The long pier in also visible. The numerous horses appear to be in a large stable facility probably at the Presidio Monterey. There are also large oil tanks on the land in the distance. This photo is not dated but may have been taken when Captain Hughes was at the Battery Commander Headquarters with D Battery, 76th Field Artillery, Presidio of Monterey. James Clark Hughes was born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, and served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. He used an autographic camera to take pictures of friends, family, and places in the United States and Europe during World War I. After the Armistice was signed November 11, 1918, Captain Hughes became part of the Army of Occupation. He finally returned to the U. S. arriving July 31, 1919 as part of the 13th Field Artillery, 4th Division. He was assigned to Camp Dodge, Iowa until August, 1920. Then Captain Hughes was assigned to the Motor Transport School, Camp Holabird, Maryland for training in Army vehicles for six months. From there Hughes and the 13th F.A. went to Fort Lewis, Washington. Hughes was the Battery Commander of the 13th F.A. During this time he had applied for enlistment in the Regular Army. On September 7, 1920 he was discharged from the National Guard and appoint to the Regular Army. It was then that Captain Hughes and his family moved to Schofield Barracks, Hawaiian Territory where they stayed until September, 1923. His next appointment was as Battery Commander of the 15th Field Artillery at Fort Sam Houston. In September 1924, Hughes attended the Battery Officers Course in the School of Artillery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma for nine months. From 1924 until 1933 the Hughes family continued to be moved frequently from Ft. Sill to Houston, to Waco, back to Hawaii and eventually to Long Beach. It was here in 1935 that Hughes was promoted to Major. By August of 1940 he had been promoted to Lt. Colonel. In 1941, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. He was assigned permanent limited duty status and April 1, 1946 was promoted to Colonel. He retired from the Army March 20, 1948. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Monterey, Town vistas

Monterey, Town vistas
Creator: Hughes, James Clark, 1888-1964
Date: [Date unknown]
This photo by Captain Hughes is also labeled, "Monterey, Town vistas". The photo shows Monterey Bay, in California. Many boats are visible in the bay on both sides of the long pier. The photo appears to have been taken from behind a large stable facility. Large oil tanks are visible on the right of the photo. Buildings can be seen next to the bay and the town across the bay is probably Monterey. This photo is not dated but may have been taken when Captain Hughes was at the Battery Commander Headquarters with D Battery, 76th Field Artillery, Presidio of Monterey. James Clark Hughes was born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, and served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. He used an autographic camera to take pictures of friends, family, and places in the United States and Europe during World War I. After the Armistice was signed November 11, 1918, Captain Hughes became part of the Army of Occupation. He finally returned to the U. S. arriving July 31, 1919 as part of the 13th Field Artillery, 4th Division. He was assigned to Camp Dodge, Iowa until August, 1920. Then Captain Hughes was assigned to the Motor Transport School, Camp Holabird, Maryland for training in Army vehicles for six months. From there Hughes and the 13th F.A. went to Fort Lewis, Washington. Hughes was the Battery Commander of the 13th F.A. During this time he had applied for enlistment in the Regular Army. On September 7, 1920 he was discharged from the National Guard and appoint to the Regular Army. It was then that Captain Hughes and his family moved to Schofield Barracks, Hawaiian Territory where they stayed until September, 1923. His next appointment was as Battery Commander of the 15th Field Artillery at Fort Sam Houston. In September 1924, Hughes attended the Battery Officers Course in the School of Artillery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma for nine months. From 1924 until 1933 the Hughes family continued to be moved frequently from Ft. Sill to Houston, to Waco, back to Hawaii and eventually to Long Beach. It was here in 1935 that Hughes was promoted to Major. By August of 1940 he had been promoted to Lt. Colonel. In 1941, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. He was assigned permanent limited duty status and April 1, 1946 was promoted to Colonel. He retired from the Army March 20, 1948. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Parrot on a Branch from 14GE328

Parrot on a Branch from 14GE328
Date: Unknown
This ceramic figurine was a surface find at Historic Building Site (HBS) 23 within the Fort Riley Military Reservation in 1977 by Kansas Historical Society Archeologists. HBS 23 was built between 1858 and 1906, but has since been demolished. The blue and yellow parrot, perhaps a Macaw, is perched on a remnant of a branch.


Paving brick

Paving brick
Creator: Coffeyville Vitrified Brick and Tile Company
Date: between 1904 and 1924
Clay brick with imprint, "Don't Spit on Sidewalk." These bricks were the brainchild of Dr. Samuel Crumbine of Dodge City, Kansas, who served as Secretary of the Kansas State Board of Health from 1904 to 1924. Crumbine was concerned with the spread of disease and fought for sanitary conditions. The Capital City Vitrified Brick and Paving Company of Topeka was apparently the first company to create the "Don't Spit" bricks. The Coffeyville Vitrified Brick and Paving Company and others followed.


Paving brick

Paving brick
Creator: Coffeyville Vitrified Brick and Tile Company
Date: between 1904 and 1924
Clay brick with imprint, "Don't Spit on Sidewalk." These bricks were the brainchild of Dr. Samuel Crumbine of Dodge City, Kansas, who served as Secretary of the Kansas State Board of Health from 1904 to 1924. Crumbine was concerned with the spread of disease and fought for sanitary conditions. The Capital City Vitrified Brick and Paving Company of Topeka was apparently the first company to create the "Don't Spit" bricks. The Coffeyville Vitrified Brick and Paving Company and others followed.


Port de Hal Armour, Bruxelles, Belgium

Port de Hal Armour, Bruxelles, Belgium
Creator: Hughes, James Clark, 1888-1964
Date: 1919
While in Brussels, Captain Hughes visited the Porte de Hal and photographed examples of medieval armor from the Middle Ages. Porte de Hal was a fort dating back to the 14th century which was built to protect the city. The walls have since been removed but the fort itself still stands. During his time in Brussels with the Army of Occupation he had opportunities to visit many sites. James C. Hughes, as part of the 35th Division, left Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and traveled to Hoboken, New Jersey, where he boarded the troop ship "Ceramic" on May 18, 1918. Hughes arrived in Liverpool, England, on June 1, 1918 and then landed at Le Havre, France, on June 9, 1918. Hughes fought in the battles of St. Michael and the Meuse-Argonne. He was at Verdun on Armistice Day, November 11, 1918. He took no photos of the actual fighting. He did take many photographs after the war as part of the Army of Occupation until he left France on July 18, 1919. A full biography of James Clark Hughes is available at the link below to Kansapedia.


Powers School, Saline County, Kansas

Powers School, Saline County, Kansas
Date: February 21, 1902
This photograph shows a group of students and adults in front of the Powers School House, District No. 39, in Saline County, Kansas.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.