Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1880s (1)
1900s (2)
1910s (4)
1930s (1)
1960s (1)
1970s (1)
1990s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

E. Vincent Drug Store, Marysville, Kansas E. Vincent Drug Store, Marysville, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 626,655
Bookbag items: 37,099
Registered users: 11,221

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 17

Category Filters

Home and Family - Daily life - Food and Cooking - Drinking

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 17 of 17 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Coffee Cups from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102

Coffee Cups from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102
Date: 1877-1910
These coffee cups fragments were recovered during the 2007 Kansas Archeology Training Program at 14GH102. The Thomas Johnson/ Henry Williams Dugout site was a domestic site related to the settlement of Nicodemus, an all black community in western Kansas. Interns at the Kansas Historical Society spent many hours reconstructing the broken cups. Each cup has a molded dot and curvilinear pattern above the base.


Coffee Mill Hopper from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403

Coffee Mill Hopper from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403
Date: 1867
This coffee mill hopper fragment was recovered from the Village on the Pawnee Fork (also called Hancock's Village) in Ness County during excavations in 1977. Coffee mills are used to grind roasted coffee beans prior to brewing. This hopper fragment is made of cast iron and was part of a manual coffee grinder. The hopper fragment was cleaned by electrolysis, which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. The Village on Pawnee Fork, home to several hundred Southern Cheyenne and Southern Teton Oglala was destroyed by order of Major General Winifred S. Hancock in 1867. The site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Cup from a Johnson County Dump, 14JO492

Cup from a Johnson County Dump, 14JO492
Date: 1920-1950
This cup, among other artifacts, was collected from a historic dump in Johnson County that was being undercut by the Kaw River. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2005. Once an attractive cup, after years of placement next to metal items the cup now has rusty stains marring its floral design and gold trimmed rim.


Drinking glass

Drinking glass
Date: between 1968 and 1972
A drinking glass depicting outer space items such as the earth and moon, space stations, satellites, astronauts, a rock and space shuttle. From the artistry and design of the space objects these likely date between 1968 and 1972. During this period NASA was designing a space shuttle (like that depicted) capable of being reused after returning from space unlike the rocket style craft previously used. Throughout the 1960's there was huge public interest in outer space climaxing with the 1969 moon landing.


Enamelware Pitcher from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102

Enamelware Pitcher from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102
Date: 1877-1910
This enamelware pitcher was recovered during the 2007 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Thomas Johnson/ Henry Williams Dugout site. The pitcher is decorated with marbled cobalt blue and white enamelware, a process first invented in Germany in the 1760s as a way to coat iron so as to prevent rust and a metallic taste in food and drink. In America enamelware production began in the 1870s and continued until the 1930s. For this piece, after its life as a pitcher had passed, it served as a target, being hit at least seven times. The Thomas Johnson/ Henry Williams Dugout site was a domestic site related to the settlement of Nicodemus, an all black community in western Kansas.


Enamelware Pitcher from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102

Enamelware Pitcher from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102
Date: 1877-1910
This enamelware pitcher was recovered during the 2007 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Thomas Johnson/ Henry Williams Dugout site. The pitcher is decorated with marbled cobalt blue and white enamelware, a process first invented in Germany in the 1760s as a way to coat iron so as to prevent rust and a metallic taste in food and drink. In America enamelware production began in the 1870s and continued until the 1930s. For this piece, after its life as a pitcher had passed, it served as a target, being hit at least seven times. The Thomas Johnson/ Henry Williams Dugout site was a domestic site related to the settlement of Nicodemus, an all black community in western Kansas.


Governor Walter Stubbs to President William H. Taft

Governor Walter Stubbs to President William H. Taft
Creator: Kansas. Governor (1909-1913 : Stubbs)
Date: January 13, 1910
Kansas Governor Walter Stubbs drafts a letter to U. S. President William H. Taft regarding the collection of federal tax revenues from purveyors of illegal liquor in Kansas. This draft was in response to a letter by R. L. Cabell, Commissioner of Internal Revenue, U. S. Treasury Department, dated January 6, 1910. Kansas first adopted a constitutional amendment on prohibition in 1881 and by 1909 had outlawed the sale of liquor for medicinal purposes. At this time, Governor Stubbs was particularly frustrated by the federal government's refusal to prosecute Kansas bootleggers from whom it was collecting taxes on liquor sales.


Hand Painted Coffee Cup from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372

Hand Painted Coffee Cup from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372
Date: 1900-1950
This whimsical hand painted coffee cup was from the Plowboy site in Shawnee County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2017. The cup had been refit by the donor. It depicts a cat in a fedora or derby hat on one side and a liquor jug on the other side. Could this be a whimsical reference to cat nip? The Plowboy site was home to the Kansa, the Potawatomi, and Euro-Americans. At various times, the site contained a farm, a trading post, and a post office with nearby military trails, Mormon routes, a railroad and the California-Oregon trail.


He doesn't like female mayors

He doesn't like female mayors
Date: January 28, 1888
In this newspaper article, the former city marshal of Argonia, Sumner County, Kansas, laments the election of Susanna Salter as mayor, saying that "female mayors are no good." In particular, he was frustrated that she asked him to close his poker room, and she also prevented the local druggist (pharmacist) from keeping alcoholic beverages in stock. He claims that "Mrs. Salter has just killed Argonia." Originally published in the Indianapolis Journal, Indianapolis, Indiana, the article was republished in the Meade County Globe, Meade, Kansas, on January 28, 1888.


Horlick's Malted Milk Jar from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372

Horlick's Malted Milk Jar from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372
Date: 1920-1950
This malted milk jar was collected from the Plowboy site in Shawnee County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2017. Horlick's Malted Milk was meant to be served hot. It was manufactured by James and William Horlick at Racine, Wisconsin. The jar was manufactured by the Hazel-Atlas Glass Co., of Wheeling, West Virginia. The Plowboy site was home to the Kansa, the Potawatomi, and Euro-Americans. At various times, the site contained a farm, a trading post, and a post office with nearby military trails, Mormon routes, a railroad and the California-Oregon trail.


Hunter

Hunter
Date: Between 1900 and 1920
Portrait of a hunter posed with his gun, dog, and game, which appear to be ducks. He is holding a cigar and drinking from a bottle, possibly beer.


J. Friedrich Stoneware Bottles from Fort Hays, 14EL301

J. Friedrich Stoneware Bottles from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1882
These stoneware bottles are three of many that were excavated in 1966 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at historic Fort Hays, in Ellis County. The bottles may have held German mineral water at one time. Each bottle was impressed with the advertisement "Taunus Brunnen by Appointment" around a crown and a seal. Just below is the manufacturer's information: "J. Friedrich, Grosskarben, B/Frankfurt A/M." Additionally, all three bottle have "N. 11." impressed under the handle. The advertising on the bottle in the center is well done, but the other two bottles have been stamped askew. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


L. W. Halbe collection

L. W. Halbe collection
Creator: Halbe, L. W. (Leslie Winfield), 1893-1981
Date: 1908-1912
The L. W. (Leslie Winfield) Halbe photo collection consists of 1500 glass plate negatives produced by Halbe during his teenage years. Halbe lived in Dorrance, Russell County, Kansas, and began taking photographs of the region with an inexpensive Sears and Roebuck camera when he was fifteen years old.


Members of the Kansas Photographers' Club

Members of the Kansas Photographers' Club
Creator: Loomis, F. A.
Date: 1932
A photograph of the Kansas Photographers' Club. Members are seated at a dining table. Brar Gustaf Grondal, who owned a photography studio in Lindsborg, Kansas, is seated on the far right and Fred A. Loomis, who owned a studio in Emporia, Kansas, is seated fifth from the left. The Club met annually with each photographer taking a turn hosting the event.


R. L. Cabell to Governor Walter Stubbs

R. L. Cabell to Governor Walter Stubbs
Creator: United States. Treasury Dept. Office of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue
Date: January 6, 1910
A commissioner from the office of internal revenue, R. L. Cabell, United States Treasury Department, writes Kansas Governor Walter Stubbs to clarify his concern over the issuing of federal revenue stamps to purveyors of illegal liquor in Kansas. Kansas first adopted a constitutional amendment on prohibition in 1881 and by 1909 had outlawed the sale of liquor for medicinal purposes. At this time, Governor Stubbs was particularly frustrated by the federal government's refusal to prosecute Kansas bootleggers from whom it was collecting taxes on liquor sales.


The law and lawyers in Kansas history

The law and lawyers in Kansas history
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1991
A collection of papers presented at the116th Annual Meeting of the Kansas State Historical Society on October 4 and 5, 1991. The essays cover four general themes: the law and the settlement process, the law as it relates to the liquor question, the history of the courts which have administered the law in Kansas, and women as attorneys and lawmakers.


Wine Decanter from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Wine Decanter from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This wine decanter was recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. Decanters were used to aerate wine, helping to open aromas and flavors. This decanter is decorated in a stippled pattern separated by smooth vertical bands. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Showing 1 - 17

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.