Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Omar Hawkins photograph collection Omar Hawkins photograph collection

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 733,954
Bookbag items: 39,116
Registered users: 11,981

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 15

Category Filters

Places - Historic sites - Pottawatamie Mission

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 15 of 15 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Annie Simerwell to Sallie Simerwell

Annie Simerwell to Sallie Simerwell
Creator: Simerwell, Ann
Date: June 18, 1854
In this letter to her sister Sallie, Annie Simerwell explains that she has received news from their parents regarding the passage of the "Nebraska Kansas bill."


Crucifix from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Crucifix from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1850-1861
This crucifix was recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. The crucifix, a cross with the figure of Jesus Christ on it, was discovered in a room on the ground floor of the mission. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Dish Fragments from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Dish Fragments from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1848-1861
These dish fragments were recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. Shown are two examples of blue shell-edge decoration, a maroon and black spongeware plate fragment, a brown and yellow Benningtonware sherd, and a blue, brown, black and white banded ware bowl rim. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Door Latch from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Door Latch from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1848-1950
This heavy-duty door latch was recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. The latch was cleaned by electrolysis, which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes and this door latch may have been added during the time the building was a horse barn. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Eyeglasses

Eyeglasses
Creator: Maysenhoelder, Charles
Date: between 1810 and 1825
Silver, sliding-temple eyeglasses with a small metal storage case. The glasses belonged to Robert Simerwell, a Baptist minister, educator, and blacksmith. Simerwell and his wife, Fannie, began working as missionaries to the Pottawatomie in Michigan in the 1820s. They continued their work with the tribe after they moved to the area that would become Kansas in 1834, eventually retiring from the Pottawatomie Baptist Mission located near Topeka in 1854. The eyeglasses were made by Charles Maysenhoelder, a silversmith in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.


Infantry Button from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Infantry Button from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1850-1861
This Infantry button was recovered during a 2021 survey of the grounds surrounding the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County. Though eroded, the "I" within a shield upon a left facing eagle, which identifies this as an infantry button, is yet visible. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Marbles from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Marbles from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1848-1861
These ceramic and stone marbles were recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. Two of the marbles are decorated with colored lines encircling the marbles. All of the marbles are the size called "commies" or common and represent hours of fun. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Mixing Bowl Rim from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Mixing Bowl Rim from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1848-1861
This mixing bowl rim was recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. The bowl is redware, an early and common American pottery ware. Minerals were added to the clay to produce different colors and redwares were made watertight with a lead glaze. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Modified Mussel Shell from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Modified Mussel Shell from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1848-1861
This mussel shell half was recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. The hole was cut or drilled into the shell, but it isn't known whether desired result was the shell with a hole in it, or the cut-out portion, which could have been made into a bead or more likely a button. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Oversized Maps of the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Oversized Maps of the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: Unknown
Shown are ten oversized maps of the Pottawatomi Mission's interior and surrounding area. The maps were drawn or collected during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. The Mission was built in Shawnee County in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Rebecca Simerwell to Annie and Elizabeth Simerwell

Rebecca Simerwell to Annie and Elizabeth Simerwell
Creator: Simerwell, Rebecca
Date: August 31, 1856
In this letter to her cousins Annie and Elizabeth Simerwell at the Potawatomi Board Manual Labor School in the Kansas Territory, Rebecca Simerwell states that she is pleased to hear that her cousins are safe "in these troubled times and your particularly dangerous situation." Rebecca is concerned for her cousins and their parents because "the accounts we hear from Kansas are prefectly horrifying too bad, almost to believe."


Shawnee County

Shawnee County
Creator: Root, George A. (George Allen), 1867-1949
Date: 1936
This is a map of Shawnee County, Kansas showing roads and trails, ferries, Indian villages, missions, towns, townships, cemeteries, Indian reservations, railroads, rivers and creeks, and other points of interest.


Shell Buttons from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Shell Buttons from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1848-1861
These shell buttons were recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. The buttons are stained from their years in the soil prior to excavation. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Slate Pencils from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Slate Pencils from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1848-1861
These slate pencils were recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. Slate pencils were used on slate boards and were meant to be erasable. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills and these pencils would have been a necessity in their classes. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Thimble from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325

Thimble from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325
Date: 1848-1861
This thimble was recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. Thimbles are worn to protect the finger while pushing a needle through fabric or leather during sewing. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.


Showing 1 - 15

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.