Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Basketball teams at Boswell Junior High School in Topeka, Kansas Basketball teams at Boswell Junior High School in Topeka, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 730,632
Bookbag items: 37,731
Registered users: 11,556

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 34

Category Filters

Places - Historic sites - Grinter Place

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 34 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1956
This is an aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Bernice Hanson at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Bernice Hanson at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1950
This is a photograph of Bernice Hanson cooking in the kitchen at Grinter Place. She and her husband Harry Hanson purchased Grinter Place, located in Wyandotte County, Kansas, from Reverend Henry C. and Martha V. Grinter Kirby's daughter in 1950. The Hansons owned and operated a chicken dinner restaurant on the site until the mid-1960s. Built in 1857, Grinter Place is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. It is a two-story brick house built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Brass Lamp Burner from Grinter Place, 14WY316

Brass Lamp Burner from Grinter Place, 14WY316
Date: 1857-1920
This artifact was used as part of the burner for an oil lamp. The wick extended through the slot on the top. It was recovered from excavations at Grinter Place is a two-story brick home overlooking the Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River, and is now in the National Register of Historic Places. Moses and Annie Grinter (she was a Lenape Delaware) owned and operated a ferry and trading post there. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Butter Pats from Grinter Place, 14WY316

Butter Pats from Grinter Place, 14WY316
Date: 1855-1950
These five butter pats were recovered from the Grinter House in Wyandotte County. Butter pats are often mistaken for children's toy dishes, but they are meant to hold individual servings of butter. These were made by Haviland and Co., of Limoges, France. The Grinter House is a two-story brick home overlooking the Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River, and is in the National Register of Historic Places. Moses and Annie Grinter (she was a Lenape Delaware) owned and operated a ferry and trading post there. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Christmas at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Christmas at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1950
This photograph of the first floor center hall at Grinter Place shows children with Santa Claus. Harry and Bernice Hanson purchased Grinter Place, located in Wyandotte County, Kansas, from Reverend Henry C. and Martha V. Grinter Kirby's daughter in 1950. The Hansons owned and operated a chicken-dinner restaurant on the site until the mid-1960s. Built in 1857, Grinter Place is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. It is a two-story brick house built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Dining Room and Parlor Chapel, Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas.

Dining Room and Parlor Chapel, Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas.
Date: June 02, 1971
These two photographs represent the Dining Room and Parlor Chapel at Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Dining room at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Dining room at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1950
This is a photograph of the dining room at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Harry and Bernice Hanson purchased the house and property from Reverend Henry C. and Martha V. Grinter Kirby's daughter in 1950. The Hansons owned and operated a chicken dinner restaurant on the site until the mid-1960s. Built in 1857, Grinter Place is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. It is a two-story brick house built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Fire Irons from Grinter Place, 14WY316

Fire Irons from Grinter Place, 14WY316
Date: 1855-1950
These two types of fire irons or fire place pokers were used to tend a fire at Grinter Place in Wyandotte County. Grinter Place is a two-story brick home overlooking the Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River, and is now in the National Register of Historic Places, 1971. Moses and Annie Grinter (she was a Lenape Delaware) owned and operated a ferry and trading post there. Now it is an historic site overseen by the Kansas Historical Society.


Grinter family reunions

Grinter family reunions
Date: 1931-1941
These six photographs show Grinter family reunions at Henry C. and Martha Kirby's residence, which is now Grinter Place in Muncie, Kansas. Reverend Henry C. and Martha V. Grinter Kirby (Moses and Annie Grinter's daughter and son-in-law) acquired the house after Annie Grinter's death. Built in 1857, Grinter Place is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. It is a two-story brick house built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors and other items to the Delaware tribe members in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Grinter House Museum, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter House Museum, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: June 02, 1971
This photograph represents the Historic Old Grinter House Museum in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1999
This is a photograph of Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. Grinter Place was the home to Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Hansen, Henry, 1828-1915
Date: Undated
This photograph made from a slide in 1956 represents the exterior of Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: Undated
This postcard represents Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Bilger, Grace Olive
Date: 1959
This is a painting of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society. Library and Archives Division
Date: 1968
This is an interior view of the dining room at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Hansen, Henry, 1828-1915
Date: 1903
These three photographs reproduced from negatives represent different views of the exterior of Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: November 11, 1937
This photograph represents the exterior of Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Grinter Place State Historic Site
Date: Undated
This photograph represents an exterior view of Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. Imaged in the photograph is Annie Grinter; Cam Grinter, the youngest son of Annie and Moses; Elizabeth Grinter, wife of Cam Grinter; and Ann and Kate Grinter, daughers of Elizabeth and Cam Grinter. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society. Library and Archives Division
Date: 1968
This is an interior view of the kitchen at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
This is a drawing of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Interior views of Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas

Interior views of Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1968
Several interior views of Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Kansas Film Commission site photographs, subject military academies - nursing homes

Kansas Film Commission site photographs, subject military academies - nursing homes
Creator: Kansas Film Commission
Date: 1980s-2000s
These are panoramic photographs of locations in Kansas created by the Kansas Film Commission to promote scenes to film companies. The panoramics were created by taking individual photos and taping them together. The photographs are arranged alphabetically by subject and then location. The subjects included in this part of the collection are military academies, mining areas, museums, and nursing homes.


South porch rehabilitation, Grinter House, Wyandotte County, Kansas

South porch rehabilitation, Grinter House, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1965
This series of photographs are of the rehabilitation of the south porch at the Grinter House in Wyandotte County, Kansas by Kansas Historical Society staff. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape.


South porch rehabilitation, Grinter House, Wyandotte County, Kansas

South porch rehabilitation, Grinter House, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1965
These photographs represent the rehabilitation by the Kansas Historical Society on the south porch at the Grinter House in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape.


South porch rehabilitation, Grinter House, Wyandotte County, Kansas

South porch rehabilitation, Grinter House, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1965
The photographs in this series represent the rehablitation of the south porch at the Grinter House in Wyandotte County, Kansas during the mid-1960s by Kansas Historical Society staff. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.