Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1870s (1)
1880s (3)
1890s (4)
1900s (3)
1910s (2)
1920s (5)
1930s (2)
1940s (4)
1950s (4)
1960s (4)
1970s (3)
1980s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Westbound passenger train In Cajon Pass, California Westbound passenger train In Cajon Pass, California

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 599,792
Bookbag items: 36,025
Registered users: 10,980

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 44

Category Filters

Places - Historic sites - Kaw Mission

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 44 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1876
The 1876 penny was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The penny, sometimes called an Indian Head cent or Indian Head penny shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.


Bark and Quillwork Container

Bark and Quillwork Container
Date: Unknown
This container was made by sewing layered strips of bark together. Porcupine quills were dyed and used to decorate the container. The bottom portion was decorated with a repeating cross and diamond pattern, most of which is now missing. The lid has the same pattern on the sides and the top is a red eight pointed star with a yellow center, edged in white cane. The container was first donated to the Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas, and then to the Kansas Historical Society in 1980. It may have originated in northern Michigan. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Bark and Quillwork Container

Bark and Quillwork Container
Date: Unknown
This container was made by sewing layered strips of bark together. Porcupine quills were dyed and used to decorate the container. The bottom portion was decorated with a repeating cross and diamond pattern, most of which is now missing. The lid has the same pattern on the sides and the top is a red eight pointed star with a yellow center, edged in white cane. The container was first donated to the Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas, and then to the Kansas Historical Society in 1980. It may have originated in northern Michigan. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Beaded Cushion Top

Beaded Cushion Top
Date: Unknown
This beaded top of a cushion was donated to the Kansas Historical Society and may have a Kaw or Kansa association. The beading was done on maroon wool. The edges have scalloped green, clear, and blue beads with a border of blue, red, clear and green beads. The floral pattern on top has purple, blue, green, clear, gold, white and red beads. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Bottle from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Bottle from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1915-1930
This bottle was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. The two clear glass fragments were refit in the Archeology Lab at the Kansas Historical Society. The bottle has an English finish and on the bottom a "N" within a square. This is the bottle maker's mark for the O'bear-Nestor Glass Company of East St. Louis, Illinois. The bottle would have been closed with a cork. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1834-1843
This brass 4-hole sew through button was recovered at the Kaw Mission during the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. It was made by the Benedict & Burnham Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. The company produced brass buttons from 1834-1843. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Button with an Oriental Theme from the Kaw Mission Site, 14MO368

Button with an Oriental Theme from the Kaw Mission Site, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1951
This unusual black button was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. Closer examination revealed that the button was etched with an Oriental theme with a figure in an Asian rice hat next to lettering, a leaf and a large flower. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and in 1971 it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Cabin on Kaw Mission grounds, Council Grove, Kansas

Cabin on Kaw Mission grounds, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1920
A photograph of a cabin on the Kaw Mission grounds in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Clay Marble from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Clay Marble from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1951
This clay marble was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The clay marble is the size called "commies" or common and represents hours of fun. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Copper Tile from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Copper Tile from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1880-1930
This copper tile was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. The tile is decorated with a stamped floral pattern. Tiles such as these were used to as ceiling or wall decorations, fireplace surrounds or back splashes. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Dance Regalia Ornament from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Dance Regalia Ornament from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1996-2014
This dance regalia ornament was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The ornament has a large brass concho, two leather fringes, two tinkler or jingle cones and beads of mixed styles in black, orange and tan. Ornaments such as this one enhance dance regalia and are often used for powwow dancing. Pow wows and dancing have been held in Council Grove during Washunga Days, a community festival celebrating the Kaw Indians, friends, family and community, since 1983. Dancing was held at the Kaw Mission from 1996 to 2014. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Enamelware Pan from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Enamelware Pan from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Unknown
This complete enamelware pan is decorated in a style called spatterware. The pan is coated with enamel, which when fired created a non-porous glaze on the surface, enabling easier clean up. Enamelware cookware was popular in the 19th century. The one quart sized pan was discovered during a metal detector survey in 2016 at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and volunteers. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1899
This glass button with a loop style back was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The front of the button has a blackberry-like decoration with half ovals around the rim. The button back retains partially readable information about the patent date: "PAT'D -U- 28, 18--." The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


French Gunflint from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

French Gunflint from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Unknown
This French gunflint was discovered during a 2016 metal detection survey by volunteers and Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These gunflints were quarried and manufactured in France, as is indicated by it's honey-yellow or blonde color. The square gunflint has one dorsal arris. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Heel Plate from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Heel Plate from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Unknown
This brass heel plate was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The heel plate was worn on the heel of the shoe or boot to help prolong the life of the footwear. This artifact still contains several partial nails. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Infantry Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Infantry Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Unknown
This Infantry military button was recovered during the Metal Detector survey in 2016 at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove by Kansas Historical Society Archeologists and volunteers. Buttons are measured in lignes and this example measured at ligne 32, generally used for jackets. The button depicts a left facing eagle with a plain shield that has an "I," for Infantry in the center. The eagle holds three arrows on the left and an olive branch on the right, symbolizing both war and peace. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Interior views of the Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Interior views of the Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1980
Three views of the interior of Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


John Thompson Peery to W.W. Cone

John Thompson Peery to W.W. Cone
Creator: Peery, John T. (John Thompson), 1817-1890
Date: December 30, 1880
In this letter to Kansas State Historical Society clerk W.W. Cone, Reverend John Thompson Peery discusses his recollections of the Kaw Mission. According to Reverand Peery, he arrived at the Kaw Mission in the spring of 1845 to help establish a "Manual Labor School." In the letter, Peery describes the buildings on the property, as well as the Native Indian groups who lived in the vicinity of the Kaw Mission.


Junior G-Man Corps Badge from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Junior G-Man Corps Badge from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Between 1935 and 1945
This Junior G-man badge was discovered during the metal detector survey in 2016 at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove by Kansas Historical Society Archeologists and volunteers. The badge was a premium acquired by sending in Post Toasties cereal box tops during the late 1930s to early 1940s. It came with a "Confidential from Melvin Purvis Chief Special-Agent-In-Charge Manual of Instructions To All Operatives." The credentials the badge provided are still visible on the front: "Roving Operative Melvin Purvis Junior G-Man Corps." Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1927
Interior view of the Kaw Mission after it was remodeled in 1927. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: Around 1928
Louis Palenske photographed all of the points of historic interest along the Old Santa Fe Trail. This is his view of the Kaw Mission at Council Grove. Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Creator: Admire Studio
Date: 1927
Interior view of the Kaw Mission after it was remodeled in 1927. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1925
A photograph of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. In 1846, a treaty with the Kaw (or Kansa) gave them a diminished reservation that included the site of present-day Council Grove. The treaty of 1846 had provided that the government would make an annual payment of $1,000 to advance the education of the Kaws in their own country. In 1850 the Methodist Episcopal Church South, which had ministered to the tribe since 1830, entered into a contract with the government, and construction of the mission and school building was completed by February 1851. School began in May under the direction of Thomas Sears Huffaker. Approximately 30 Kaw boys, aged 6 to 17 years, moved into the mission to live upstairs in four dormitory rooms. It was the goal of the Methodist Episcopal Church South to teach the boys academic subjects, farming, and Christianity at the Kaw Mission. Classes for Indian children were held until 1854, when the cost of maintaining the school was deemed too costly. The mission building and grounds were sold to Thomas Huffaker in 1865, and he continued in possession for 14 years. Thereafter, several individuals owned the property until 1926 when Carl I. Huffaker, one of Thomas' sons, bought the land on which the mission building stands. In 1951 the Kansas Legislature authorized the purchase of the mission property from Huffaker, and the Kansas Historical Society as trustee for the state. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Kaw Pitcher

Kaw Pitcher
Date: 1850 - 1890
This small brown pitcher with a salt glaze appears to have been blistered by heat. Originally on display at the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, the pitcher was given to a Mrs. Stevenson in 1890 by a member of the Kaw tribe. Mrs. Stevenson then gave the pitcher to Mrs. Blim, who donated it to the Kansas Historical Society.


Milk Bottle from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Milk Bottle from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1935-1951
This milk bottle was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The bottle, which is marked "ONE QUART," was recovered from a hole that contained several milk bottles fragments and garden hose fragments. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.