Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Homes and businesses in the area near the future site of the Topeka Boulevard bridge in Topeka, Kansas Homes and businesses in the area near the future site of the Topeka Boulevard bridge in Topeka, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 733,981
Bookbag items: 39,122
Registered users: 11,983

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 42

Category Filters

Military - Facilities - Forts - Fort Zarah

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 42 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1853 Half Dime from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

1853 Half Dime from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1853-1868
This silver half dime was recovered from Fort Zarah during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The obverse side shows a Seated Liberty with her right hand resting on a striped shield and her left hand holding a Liberty pole. Six-pointed stars surround Liberty and arrows are present on each side of the date of 1853. The reverse side has the words "HALF DIME" and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" surrounded by a wreath of laurel leaves. Fort Zarah, located along the Santa Fe trail in Barton County, was active from 1864 to 1869.


.58 Caliber Minie Balls from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

.58 Caliber Minie Balls from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1855-1869
These five minie balls were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. The minie balls are .58 caliber, have three grease grooves and conical or hollow bases. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Ball and Cone Earrings from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Ball and Cone Earrings from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
These three ball and cone earrings were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post, where these earrings were located, burned in 1868. Ball and cone earrings were a popular trade item. Two of these are missing their cones. The remaining cone has been flattened.


Bennington Door Knobs from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Bennington Door Knobs from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
These two door knobs were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The ceramic door knobs are decorated in a style known as Bennington, after the manufacturer, and show a threaded interior. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building within the fort, from where these door knobs were located, burned in 1868.


Brass Plate from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Brass Plate from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
This brass plate was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The plate advertises "BEARD & BRO" of "ST. LOUIS, MO." This may be a reference to the Beard and Brother company of St. Louis, established in 1848, that manufactured safes, vaults, cotton ties, and a nut-lock for safes. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building within the post, where the plate was found, burned in 1868.


Bullet Cases from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Bullet Cases from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These brass bullet cases were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. They were used in seven shot repeater and are 0.52 caliber. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Bullet Casing Encased in Plaster from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Bullet Casing Encased in Plaster from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
This brass bullet case was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. At some time the case was incorporated into plaster. It has a head stamp of "J. G." indicating it was made for a Spencer gun. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Buttons from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Buttons from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
Shown are two buttons recovered from Fort Zarah during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. Both buttons have alpha shank backs. One was made of black painted metal and is decorated with rosettes. The other is a white dome style button with a brown swirl pattern. Fort Zarah, located along the Santa Fe trail in Barton County, was active from 1864 to 1869.


Buttons from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Buttons from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These five buttons were recovered from Fort Zarah. Shown are two china 4-hole dish buttons, a bone 4-hole button with a recessed center, a metal 4-hole pants button, and a shell 2-hole sew through button with a raised center. The buttons were excavated during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. Fort Zarah was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County manned between 1864 to 1869.


C. and W. K. Harvey Maker's Mark from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

C. and W. K. Harvey Maker's Mark from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
This plate or platter fragment was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. The dish was manufactured by C. and W. K. Harvey of Longton, England, between c. 1835 and 1852. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County.


Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These pipe stem and bowl fragments were recovered from Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the location of the original fort building. The top row shows three glazed pipe bowls. The upper right pipe bowl is a fragment of a Presidential pipe. Based on the remnant of hair and right eye it depicts President Ulysses S. Grant and was made and distributed from 1865 to 1870. The bottom row shows an unglazed bowl, a decorated bowl and stem fragment, and a stem fragment. Fort Zarah was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Clay Pipes from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Clay Pipes from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These two clay pipe bowls were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. Both bowls show some dottle, tobacco residue, indicating they had been smoked. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Cloth Covered Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Cloth Covered Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
This brass button front was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. The button has a charred plain weave cloth attached to its front. The tightness of the weave indicates the cloth was made on a floor loom. The material may have once covered the entire button front. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County.


Counterweight from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Counterweight from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
This counterweight was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The counterweight may have been used for a scale. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building within the fort, where this counterweight was located, burned in 1868.


General Service Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

General Service Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1855-1869
This General Service buttons was recovered at Fort Zarah, in Barton County, during excavations at the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The button was made of brass and has a line shield on the front, indicating it was in use from 1855 to 1884. The button's back mark is too faint to read. The alpha shank attachment is present.


General Service Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

General Service Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
This General Service button was recovered at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. The button was made of brass and has a line shield on the front, indicating it was in use from 1855 to 1884. The button's back mark advertises the "WATERBURY BUTTON CO" of Connecticut, which has been in the business of making buttons since 1812. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County.


Gilt Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Gilt Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
This gilt button has a back mark advertising its manufacture by Kendrick and Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. The two part button, which is missing its loop attachment, was made in the 1830s. It was recovered from Fort Zarah. It is elaborately decorated in a pressed floral pattern and predates the 1864-1869 occupation of the fort by 30 years, the button may have been kept and reused on other clothing. The button was excavated during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. Fort Zarah was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County manned between 1864 to 1869.


Gun Forearm Cap from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Gun Forearm Cap from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
This forearm cap was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. Forearm caps were located on that portion of the wooden stock under a gun barrel to help keep out debris. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building, where this artifact were located, burned in 1868.


Harness Rosette from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Harness Rosette from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
This possible harness rosette was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. The brass artifact has a ferrous back and is decorated with shields and stars around the edge. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Kansas : early routes, old trails, historic sites, landmarks, etc.

Kansas : early routes, old trails, historic sites, landmarks, etc.
Creator: Root, George A. (George Allen), 1867-1949
Date: 1939 December
This map, created by George Allen Root and later reproduced by the Kansas Turnpike Authority, depicts trails, landmarks, and historic sites in the state of Kansas. The original map was compiled by George Allen Root and delineated by W. M. Hutchinson from information obtained from the Kansas State Historical Society.


Lead Bars from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Lead Bars from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
These lead bars were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. They are all stamped with portions of advertising from the "ST LOUIS SHOT TOWER CO." These bars could be melted and poured into any needed item. The trading post building, where these bars were located, burned in 1868. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Medicinal Bottle from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Medicinal Bottle from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
This small bottle was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The clear glass bottle is 2 1/8" high and has a flat or patent finish. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post, where the bottle was located, burned in 1868.


Minie Balls from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Minie Balls from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These lead minie balls were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. From left to right the bullets are a 0.36 caliber, a 0.52 caliber, and two 0.58 calibers. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Novelty Rubber Company Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Novelty Rubber Company Button from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
This black coat or jacket button was recovered from Fort Zarah. The button back advertises the "NOVELTY RUBBER CO. GOODYEAR'S PATENT 1851." This is the mark of the Novelty Rubber Company that manufactured hard rubber buttons using Goodyear's 1851 patent. This type of buttons was made between 1853 and 1872. The buttons were excavated during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. Fort Zarah was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County manned between 1864 to 1869.


Percussion Caps from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Percussion Caps from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
These brass percussion caps were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. These caps were used for powder ignition in muzzleloading and early breechloading guns. By the 1860s and 1870s advances in cartridge design made percussion caps obsolete. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.