Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union memory book Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union memory book

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 731,860
Bookbag items: 37,982
Registered users: 11,644

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 7

Category Filters

Transportation - Railroads - Companies - Kansas City, Fort Scott, & Memphis RR

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Atchison, Kansas

Atchison, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1900
This black and white photograph shows a view of the rail yard beneath the lower Sixth street viaduct on the east side of Atchison, Kansas. Also visible are freight cars (including Missouri Pacific, Texas & Pacific, Kansas City, Fort Scott, & Memphis railway cars), and the business, church, and residence buildings of eastern Atchison.


George W. Scott papers

George W. Scott papers
Creator: Scott, George W., 1850-1920
Date: 1889-1899
Business correspondence, arranged chronologically, of George W. Scott, one of the first residents of Edgerton, Kansas. A large portion of the collection is correspondence between Scott and Frank S. Hammond, Scott's partner in a 20,000 acre ranch in the Texas panhandle. Much of the correspondence deals with their attempts to raise cattle, lease the land, and sell or trade the property. Hammond worked as a general manager for several railroads (Kansas City, Fort Scott, and Memphis Railroad Company; Kansas City, Shreveport, and Gulf Railway Company; and the Kansas City, Watkins, and Gulf Railway Company) that were in the process of expanding their lines, and mentioned these activities in his letters. Due to their real estate investments in Texas, many letters come from banks, insurance agents, and land surveyors in the panhandle. Scott also served as secretary for the Johnson County Fair Association and owned the Gardner Lumber Company. Scott frequently corresponded with creameries, dairy farmers, wholesale dry goods retailers and seed merchants, including the Kansas Seed House owned by Frederick W. Barteldes in Lawrence. Also included are invoices, checks, contracts, and inventory lists from various businesses.


Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis Railroad steam locomotive #36

Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis Railroad steam locomotive #36
Date: Between 1890 and 1900
A photograph of Kansas City, Fort Scott, & Memphis Railroad's locomotive #36, possibly taken at Quality Hill, Kansas City, Missouri. The engineer was Richard M. Reighley.


Official railroad map of Kansas 1899

Official railroad map of Kansas 1899
Creator: Matthews-Northrup Co., Buffalo, N.Y.
Date: 1899
This map shows the railroad lines that crossed Kansas in 1890. It was issued by the Kansas State Board of Railroad Commissioners. W. P. Dillard was the chair and the other members were L. W. Lewelling and W. M. Campbell. The secretary to the Commission was J. M. Senter and the clerk was Richard Coyle.


Railroad passes

Railroad passes
Date: Between 1890 and 1901
Railroad passes issued to A.A. Hurd to various railroad stations.


Railroad passes to various stations

Railroad passes to various stations
Date: Between 1895 and 1900
Railroad passes issued to F.L. Vandergrift to various stations. The passes are part of the George Allen Root Coll.


St. Louis, San Francisco Railway box depot, Anna, Kansas.

St. Louis, San Francisco Railway box depot, Anna, Kansas.
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: August 01, 1959
This photograph shows the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway box depot in Anna, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure and tracks were once part of the Northern Division, Afton Sub. Division at milepost 110.8. Before the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway Company merged in 1901 with the Kansas City, Fort Scott, and Memphis Railway, Anna had been know as Pawnee Station. Established on January 31, 1871 Pawnee Station, located southwest of Fort Scott, Kansas, had been a thriving coal mining community. For a number of years the incorporated town served as a major shipping point for coal. When the mining industry came to a close and the population declined, Pawnee Station's post office was discontinued on April 30, 1945.


Showing 1 - 7

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.