Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1850s (1)
1861-1869 (5)
1870s (4)
1880s (4)
1890s (3)
1900s (7)
1930s (2)
1940s (2)
1960s (12)
1970s (5)
1980s (1)
1990s (1)
2000s (9)
2010s (6)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

This is a portrait of Catherine (Kate) Elizabeth German, who was taken captive with her younger sisters, Sophia, Julia, and Adelaide, by Cheyenne Indians after their family was killed. Kate was born on March 21, 1857. On September 11, 1874, the John German family, consisting of his wife and seven children, was attacked by a band of Cheyenne east of Ft. Wallace, Kansas. Only four of the children, Catherine, Sophia, Julia, and Adelaide, were spared and taken captive. The two youngest, Julia and Adelaide (aged 7 and 5), were subsequently abandoned on the prairie in what is now the Texas panhandle. Sophia and Catherine were kept by their Cheyenne captors. Fort Wallace received word of the killings and began the search to find the girls and to negotiate their release. They found Julia and Adelaide, who had survived on their own for 6 weeks, and on March 1, 1875, the Cheyennes formally released Catherine and Sophia German at the Darlington Agency in Indian Territory (Oklahoma). The two girls were reunited with their younger sisters at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas in June of 1875.

-

Random Item

Celebration in Anthony, Kansas Celebration in Anthony, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,240
Bookbag items: 35,895
Registered users: 10,895

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 79

Category Filters

Collections - Historic Preservation

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 79 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1000 S. Esplanade, Leavenworth, Kansas

1000 S. Esplanade, Leavenworth, Kansas
Date: 2002
This is a view of a large two story house located at 1000 South Esplanade in Leavenworth, Kansas.


1005 North 4th Street, Garden City, Kansas

1005 North 4th Street, Garden City, Kansas
Date: 1996
This photograph shows bungalow home located at 1005 North 4th Street in the Historic District of Garden City, Kansas. There is an automobile parked beside the left side of the house.


1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas

1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: June 08, 1867
This photograph represents buildings that survived the flooding on June 8, 1867 in Fort Hays, Kansas. At the time of the flood, the buildings standing in the photograph had been built approximately five months prior. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


319 Broadway, Leavenworth, Kansas

319 Broadway, Leavenworth, Kansas
Date: 2002
This large two story house is located at 319 Broadway in Leavenworth, Kansas.


5 & 7 Greenwood Avenue, Topeka, Kansas

5 & 7 Greenwood Avenue, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1899
This is a photograph showing homes at 5 & 7 Greenwood Avenue located in the community of Potwin, which is part of Topeka, Kansas.


507-511 E. Sherman, Hutchinson, Kansas

507-511 E. Sherman, Hutchinson, Kansas
Date: unknown
This large two-story wood-framed house is located at 507-511 East Sherman in the Houston Whiteside Historic District in Hutchinson, Kansas. The District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.


512 E. Sherman, Hutchinson, Kansas

512 E. Sherman, Hutchinson, Kansas
Date: unknown
This large three-story wood-framed house is located at 512 East Sherman in the Houston Whiteside Historic District in Hutchinson, Kansas. The District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.


7th Cavalry Camp, Fort Hays, Kansas

7th Cavalry Camp, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1867
These two photographs represent different views of the 7th Cavalry Camp near Fort Hays, Kansas. In one photograph, men can be sitting in a field outside tents. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


818 S. Esplanade, Leavenworth, Kansas

818 S. Esplanade, Leavenworth, Kansas
Date: 2002
This is a view of a two story wood-framed house located at 818 South Esplanade in Leavenworth, Kansas.


Allen County Jail

Allen County Jail
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society. Historic Preservation Office
Date: 2012
Allen County Jail is located in Iola, Allen County, Kansas. It was built in 1869 by White and Hays. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: National Park Service
Date: 1966
This series of photographs represent different views of the archeological dig that was held in 1966 at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Bridge, Fort Hays, Kansas

Bridge, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1870
This photograph represents a bridge in Fort Hays, Kansas that passes over a stream surrounded by trees. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Cavalry trooper, Fort Hays, Kansas

Cavalry trooper, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1870
This photograph represents a calvary tropper with a saddle mounted horse at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


City Square Park Bandstand

City Square Park Bandstand
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society. Historic Preservation Office
Date: 2013
City Square Park Bandstand is located in Humboldt, Allen County, Kansas. It was built in 1907 by John Nessell (builder) and Charles M. Smith (designer) and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1887
This photograph represents an illustration from "The Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine", Volume 34, page 369 of Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1908
This building served as the seat of the Kansas Territorial government in 1857 and 1858. The second territorial legislature met here in 1857. The constitutional convention that drafted the Lecompton Constitution also met here. At the time this photo was taken, the building served as the meeting hall for the International Order of Odd Fellows. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1852
This photograph represents an illustration of the State-House, more commonly known as Constiution Hall, in Lecompton, Kansas from Henry Howe's "Historical Collections of the Great West". Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Place in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Crest Theatre, Great Bend, Kansas

Crest Theatre, Great Bend, Kansas
Date: unknown
A view of the Crest Theatre at 1905 Lakin Avenue in Great Bend, Kansas.


Crest Theatre, Great Bend, Kansas

Crest Theatre, Great Bend, Kansas
Date: unknown
A view of the lobby and furnishings of the Crest Theatre at 1905 Lakin Avenue in Great Bend, Kansas.


D.P. Northrup House

D.P. Northrup House
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society. Historic Preservation Office
Date: 2009
The D.P. Northrup House is located in Iola, Allen County, Kansas. It was built in 1895. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.


Dietrich Cabin, Ottawa, Kansas

Dietrich Cabin, Ottawa, Kansas
Date: 1974
A view of the Dietrich log cabin in Ottawa, Kansas. From the "Virtual Tourist" web site: Built by hardy German pioneers in the late 1850s, the Dietrich Cabin is the oldest home in Franklin County. Originally built a little outside the town limits (Ottawa not chartered until 1864) and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this walnut-wood cabin stands well-preserved on the grounds of the Ottawa City Park, a classic example of frontier living quarters from the period.


Dining Room and Parlor Chapel, Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas.

Dining Room and Parlor Chapel, Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas.
Date: June 02, 1971
These two photographs represent the Dining Room and Parlor Chapel at Grinter Place in Wyandotte County, Kansas. This was the home of Annie and Moses Grinter. Annie, a Lenape (Delaware), helped farm, raise poultry and livestock, and plant an apple orchard. Moses operated a ferry and a trading post, where he traded with the Lenape. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Fort Hays, Kansas

Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1869
This photograph represents Fort Hays in Ellis County, Kansas from 1869. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Fort Hays, Kansas

Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: National Park Service
Date: 1873
This photograph taken in 1873, represents Fort Hays looking north in Ellis County, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Fort Hays street, Kansas

Fort Hays street, Kansas
Date: 1873
This photograph represents the Forage House, Hay Yard and Mule Corral at Fort Hays, Kansas in 1873. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.