Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1600-1699 (1)
1800-1820 (1)
1830s (1)
1840s (4)
1850s (9)
1854-1860 (8)
1861-1869 (44)
1870s (34)
1880s (43)
1890s (51)
1900s (66)
1910s (47)
1920s (88)
1930s (80)
1940s (69)
1950s (69)
1960s (94)
1970s (31)
1980s (21)
1990s (4)
2000s (4)
2010s (8)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Goddard Woman's Club scrapbook Goddard Woman's Club scrapbook

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,240
Bookbag items: 35,874
Registered users: 10,890

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 786

Category Filters

Built Environment - National Register of Historic Places

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 786 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


.58 Caliber Minie Balls from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

.58 Caliber Minie Balls from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1855-1869
These five minie balls were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. The minie balls are .58 caliber, have three grease grooves and conical or hollow bases. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1844
This quarter was minted in 1844 in New Orleans. It was recovered from the site of the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program, the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. It shows a seated Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas

1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: June 08, 1867
This photograph represents buildings that survived the flooding on June 8, 1867 in Fort Hays, Kansas. At the time of the flood, the buildings standing in the photograph had been built approximately five months prior. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1876
The 1876 penny was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The penny, sometimes called an Indian Head cent or Indian Head penny shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.


18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1886
This is a view of the members of the 18th Infantry Band at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


5th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

5th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1869
This photograph shows the 5th Infantry Band parading on the streets of Fort Hays, Kansas, in front of the officer's quarters. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


7th Cavalry Camp, Fort Hays, Kansas

7th Cavalry Camp, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1867
These two photographs represent different views of the 7th Cavalry Camp near Fort Hays, Kansas. In one photograph, men can be sitting in a field outside tents. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


7th Cavalry parade, Fort Hays, Kansas

7th Cavalry parade, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1867
This photograph represents an evening parade by the 7th Cavalry near Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Abraders from the Tobias Site, 14RC8

Abraders from the Tobias Site, 14RC8
Date: 1400-1600 CE
Shown are a few of the many abraders and shaft smoothers recovered from the excavations during the 1977 and 1978 Kansas Archeology Training Programs at the Tobias site in Rice County. The Tobias site is a Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita) village that had dense artifact deposits (including chain mail brought to Kansas by sixteenth-century Spanish explorers), house remains and numerous deep trash-filled storage pits. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Archeologists call these groundstone tools as they are shaped by grinding. The sandstone abraders could be used as pairs, one on each side, to smooth a wood shaft or individually to sharpen or smooth items.


Abraham Pratt

Abraham Pratt
Date: Between 1890 and 1899
This is a portrait of Abraham Pratt, 1827-1901, who settled in Sheridan County, Kansas. His home Cottonwood Ranch was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.


Abraham Pratt home, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas

Abraham Pratt home, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1885 and 1895
A photograph of the Abraham Pratt home near the Solomon River in Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas. Cottonwood Ranch was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.


Abraham Pratt house, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas

Abraham Pratt house, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1885 and 1895
Abraham Pratt home, near the Solomon River in Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas. Footbridge in the foreground. Cottonwood Ranch was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.


Abram and John Pratt, with two little boys, Studley Home Guard, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas

Abram and John Pratt, with two little boys, Studley Home Guard, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas
Date: 1917
Abram Pratt, sitting, and John Pratt with two little boys at the home of Tom Pratt, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas in 1917. The Pratt men are in their Studley Home Guard uniforms. Cottonwood Ranch was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.


Administration Hall, Shawnee Indian Mission

Administration Hall, Shawnee Indian Mission
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1928-1939
This set of photographs represents the Main Building of the Mission that was used as the Administration Hall and the first Territorial Legislature of Kansas in 1855. In 1968, the Shawnee Indian Mission was declared a National Historic Landmark and has since been under the operation of the Kansas Historical Society.


Administration Hall, Shawnee Indian Mission

Administration Hall, Shawnee Indian Mission
Date: 1921-1939
This set of photographs represent different views of the East Building of the Mission. The East Buildling was used as the main and administrative building for the Mission as well as the first Territorial Legislature of Kansas in 1855. In 1968, the Shawnee Indian Mission was declared a National Historic Landmark and has since been under the operation of the Kansas Historical Society.


A dog in a dress, John Fenton Pratt home, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas

A dog in a dress, John Fenton Pratt home, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1900
This is a novelty photograph of one of the Pratt family's dogs in a dress, posing on a chair in front of the John Fenton Pratt home, Studley, Sheridan County, Kansas. Cottonwood Ranch was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.


Aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1956
This is an aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: June 1992
Several aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: June 1992
Four aerial photographs of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Alibates Scrapers from the Tobias Site, 14RC8

Alibates Scrapers from the Tobias Site, 14RC8
Date: 1400-1600 CE
These seven scrapers were recovered from the excavations during the 1977 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Tobias site in Rice County. Scrapers such as these would have been hafted on a handle and used to scrape hides. They would have required periodic resharpening. All seven scrapers were made of Alibates flint, a silicified or agatized dolomite from the Canadian River valley in the Texas panhandle. The Tobias site is a Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita) village that had dense artifact deposits (including chain mail brought to Kansas by sixteenth-century Spanish explorers), house remains and numerous deep trash-filled storage pits. The site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Allen County Jail

Allen County Jail
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society. Historic Preservation Office
Date: 2012
Allen County Jail is located in Iola, Allen County, Kansas. It was built in 1869 by White and Hays. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Alma Hotel

Alma Hotel
Date: October 1968
This view of the Alma Hotel, located at 400 Missouri St., Alma, Kansas, was taken in October of 1968. Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: National Park Service
Date: 1966
This series of photographs represent different views of the archeological dig that was held in 1966 at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1966
Five photographs showing an archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866 Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays

Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays
Creator: Kansas. Division of Architectural Services
Date: December 3, 1966
These are site plans for the Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays, Hays, Kansas, drawn by Architectural Services Division, Department of Administration, Topeka, Kansas. The site plan was adapted from a plan prepared by Sergeant Ellis, Company A, 18th Infantry, 1889. The plans were drawn as part of a project to recondition existing buildings and the caretaker's facilities. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.