Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1861-1869 (1)
1880s (3)
1890s (4)
1900s (3)
1910s (2)
1920s (4)
1930s (2)
1940s (4)
1950s (4)
1960s (3)
1970s (3)
1980s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Scenes of Sherman County, Kansas Scenes of Sherman County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,316
Bookbag items: 35,871
Registered users: 10,933

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 25

Category Filters

People - American Indians - Missions - Kaw Mission

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 25 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Cabin on Kaw Mission grounds, Council Grove, Kansas

Cabin on Kaw Mission grounds, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1920
A photograph of a cabin on the Kaw Mission grounds in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Dance Regalia Ornament from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Dance Regalia Ornament from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1996-2014
This dance regalia ornament was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The ornament has a large brass concho, two leather fringes, two tinkler or jingle cones and beads of mixed styles in black, orange and tan. Ornaments such as this one enhance dance regalia and are often used for powwow dancing. Pow wows and dancing have been held in Council Grove during Washunga Days, a community festival celebrating the Kaw Indians, friends, family and community, since 1983. Dancing was held at the Kaw Mission from 1996 to 2014. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1899
This glass button with a loop style back was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The front of the button has a blackberry-like decoration with half ovals around the rim. The button back retains partially readable information about the patent date: "PAT'D -U- 28, 18--." The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Gunn & Mitchell's New Map of Kansas and the Gold Mines

Gunn & Mitchell's New Map of Kansas and the Gold Mines
Creator: Schuchman, William, 1823 or 1824-
Date: 1862
This map illustrates northeast Kansas and the routes from the Missouri River to the Kansas goldmines. Some of the routes include the Missouri River via the Santa Fe Road and Ft. Leavenworth, and the Santa Fe Road via Ft. Riley.


Heel Plate from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Heel Plate from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Unknown
This brass heel plate was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The heel plate was worn on the heel of the shoe or boot to help prolong the life of the footwear. This artifact still contains several partial nails. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Interior views of the Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Interior views of the Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1980
Three views of the interior of Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1927
Interior view of the Kaw Mission after it was remodeled in 1927. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Creator: Admire Studio
Date: 1927
Interior view of the Kaw Mission after it was remodeled in 1927. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1925
A photograph of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. In 1846, a treaty with the Kaw (or Kansa) gave them a diminished reservation that included the site of present-day Council Grove. The treaty of 1846 had provided that the government would make an annual payment of $1,000 to advance the education of the Kaws in their own country. In 1850 the Methodist Episcopal Church South, which had ministered to the tribe since 1830, entered into a contract with the government, and construction of the mission and school building was completed by February 1851. School began in May under the direction of Thomas Sears Huffaker. Approximately 30 Kaw boys, aged 6 to 17 years, moved into the mission to live upstairs in four dormitory rooms. It was the goal of the Methodist Episcopal Church South to teach the boys academic subjects, farming, and Christianity at the Kaw Mission. Classes for Indian children were held until 1854, when the cost of maintaining the school was deemed too costly. The mission building and grounds were sold to Thomas Huffaker in 1865, and he continued in possession for 14 years. Thereafter, several individuals owned the property until 1926 when Carl I. Huffaker, one of Thomas' sons, bought the land on which the mission building stands. In 1951 the Kansas Legislature authorized the purchase of the mission property from Huffaker, and the Kansas Historical Society as trustee for the state. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Medicine Bottle from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Medicine Bottle from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1930
This small bottle was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The clear bottle is damaged at the lip and base. It may have once held medicine, either prescribed or patented. The only mark on the bottle is an embossed "1/2." The Mission, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Musket Rear Sight from the Kaw Mission, 14MO367

Musket Rear Sight from the Kaw Mission, 14MO367
Date: 1800-1860
This musket read sight was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. A musket refers to all flintlock guns. The sight would have been mounted atop of the barrel of the gun to align the target visually with the shooter's eye. The Mission, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Novelty Rubber Company Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Novelty Rubber Company Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1855-1870
This rubber button front has a molded floral design. The back mark reads "N R CO GOODYEAR'S P=T." This is the mark of the Novelty Rubber Company that manufactured these type of buttons between 1853 and 1872. The button was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The Kaw Mission was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Oil Lamp Burner from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Oil Lamp Burner from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1920
This burner for an oil lamp was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The burner for a lamp was the portion through which the wick was advanced. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Old Indian (Kaw) Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Old Indian (Kaw) Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1895 and 1900
An early photograph of the Kaw Mission at Council Grove, Kansas. Thirty Kaw boys lived and attended school at the mission from 1851 to 1854. The Kaw (or Kansa) gave the state of Kansas its name. The Kaw tribe lived along the Santa Fe Trail for less than thirty years before the U.S. government removed them to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma). Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Pendant from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Pendant from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Unknown
This pendant was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The circular metal frame has nylon thread woven and tied in the center so as to form a web-like design. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Percussion Rifle Rear Sight from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Percussion Rifle Rear Sight from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1841-1880
This rifle sight was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. Sights are mounted atop the barrel of the gun and align the target visually with the shooter's eye. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission

Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission
Date: 1891
This small souvenir spoon was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951. The spoon has "HELENA MONT" etched into the front of the bowl. On the back are the sterling silver marks for Gorham Silver (later Gorham Manufacturing Co.) of Rhode Island and New York in addition to the word "COPYRIGHTED." Also on the back are the etched initials "AGH," thought to be those of Anna Goddard Huffaker (Mrs. Homer Carpenter). Anna was the daughter of Eliza Ann Baker Huffaker and Thomas Sears Huffaker, director of school at the Kaw Mission. In 1891 she attended the wedding of her brother in Helena, Montana.


T.S Huffaker and Joseph S. Chick correspondence

T.S Huffaker and Joseph S. Chick correspondence
Creator: Chick, Joseph S. (Joseph Smith), 1828-1908
Date: April 19, 1906-April 21, 1906
This correspondence between T.S. Huffaker and Joseph S. Chick contains details of the Kaw Mission and the early settlers in the area surrounding it, including William Johnson, Mary Jane Chick, Cyprian and Frederick Chouteau, L.J. Huff, and, Joab Spencer. Huffaker's letter to Chick provides even further details on the Kaw Mission and the people who worked there.


United State Padlock from the Kaw Mission

United State Padlock from the Kaw Mission
Date: 1860-1889
This complete lock and shackle portion of a padlock was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951. The padlock is in the style of the late 1800s and may have been used by either the military or the postal service.


View of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

View of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1950
A view of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of displays at Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Views of displays at Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1940 and 1980
Several photographs of displays at Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1920
Three views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1930 and 1960
Several views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1990
Several views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. In 1846, a treaty with the Kaw (or Kansa) gave them a diminished reservation that included the site of present-day Council Grove. The treaty of 1846 had provided that the government would make an annual payment of $1,000 to advance the education of the Kaws in their own country. In 1850 the Methodist Episcopal Church South, which had ministered to the tribe since 1830, entered into a contract with the government, and construction of the mission and school building was completed by February 1851. School began in May under the direction of Thomas Sears Huffaker. Approximately 30 Kaw boys, aged 6 to 17 years, moved into the mission to live upstairs in four dormitory rooms. It was the goal of the Methodist Episcopal Church South to teach the boys academic subjects, farming, and Christianity at the Kaw Mission. Classes for Indian children were held until 1854, when the cost of maintaining the school was deemed too costly. The mission building and grounds were sold to Thomas Huffaker in 1865, and he continued in possession for 14 years. Thereafter, several individuals owned the property until 1926 when Carl I. Huffaker, one of Thomas' sons, bought the land on which the mission building stands. In 1951 the Kansas Legislature authorized the purchase of the mission property from Huffaker, and the Kansas Historical Society as trustee for the state. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


W.S. Chick to W.W. Cone

W.S. Chick to W.W. Cone
Creator: Chick, William S.
Date: December 05, 1880
In this letter to W.W.Cone of the Kansas State Historical Society, William S. Chick of Glenwood, Kansas, relates details of the Kaw Mission, the "Pottawotomie Indians," William Johnson, and other people of Kansas. Chick states that the "Mission was about two miles west of the old Chouteau trading house and on the west side of the creek called I suppose Miss Creek."


Showing 1 - 25

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.