Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1854-1860 (3)
1861-1869 (1)
1870s (2)
1880s (4)
1890s (6)
1900s (11)
1910s (8)
1920s (5)
1930s (1)
1950s (1)
1980s (1)
1990s (1)
2000s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company gondola car, LaJunta, Colorado, Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company gondola car, LaJunta, Colorado,

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 626,655
Bookbag items: 37,074
Registered users: 11,217

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 23

Category Filters

Community Life - Religion - Christianity - Episcopal

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 23 of 23 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Charles H. Lovejoy

Charles H. Lovejoy
Date: Between 1850 and 1890
A studio portrait of Charles Haseltine Lovejoy, who came to the Kansas Territory in 1855 with his wife, Julia Louisa Hardy Lovejoy, and children. Reverend Lovejoy was the second traveling Methodist preacher in the territory. The Lovejoys built the first house on the Manhattan Town Company site, but moved to a farm near Baldwin, Kansas Territory, in 1857.


Christ's Cathedral, Salina, Kansas

Christ's Cathedral, Salina, Kansas
Date: Between 1907 and 1920
This photograph shows Christ's Cathedral, an Episcopalian church, in Salina, Kansas. The limestone structure completed in 1902 has been placed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places.


College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas

College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: The Sunhling & Koehn Co., Pub., Chicago
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
These two postcards show Wolfe Hall at the College of the Sisters of Bethany in Topeka, Kansas. The building, located at Ninth and Polk Streets, was completed in 1872 to provide a Episcopalian education to young women from kindergarten to their second year of college. For a number of years classes were taught in the college's main building until a decline in enrollment forced the school to close in 1928. Wolfe Hall was demolished in 1959.


College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas

College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1911 and 1928
This postcard shows modification to the porch at Wolfe Hall on the campus of the College of the Sisters of Bethany in Topeka, Kansas. The stone and concrete addition could possibly be credited to Kansas City architect Louis Curtiss. The building was located at Ninth and Polk Streets and was completed in 1872 to provide an Episcopalian education to young women from kindergarten through their second year of college. Classes were taught in the college's main building until a decline in enrollment forced the school to close in 1928. Wolfe Hall was demolished in 1959.


College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas

College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
This photograph shows Wolf Hall at the College of the Sisters of Bethany in Topeka, Kansas. The building, located at Ninth and Polk Streets, was completed in 1872 to provide an Episcopalian education to young women from kindergarten through two years of college. Classes were taught in the college's main building until a decline in enrollment forced the school to close in 1928. Wolfe Hall was demolished in 1959.


College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas

College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Arthur Capper
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
This postcard shows Wolfe Hall at the College of the Sisters of Bethany in Topeka, Kansas. The building, located at Ninth and Polk Streets, was completed in 1872 to provide an Episcopalian education to young women from kindergarten through their second year of college. For a number of years classes were taught in the college's main building until a decline in enrollment forced the school to close in 1928. Wolfe Hall was demolished in 1959.


Episcopal Church, Cimarron, Kansas

Episcopal Church, Cimarron, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
This is a photograph of the Episcopal Church located on Avenue B off Highway 50, Cimarron, Kansas.


Episcopal Church in Minneapolis, Kansas

Episcopal Church in Minneapolis, Kansas
Date: Between 1905 and 1910
A postcard showing the Episcopal Church in Minneapolis, Kansas.


Episcopal Church, possibly in Goodland, Kansas

Episcopal Church, possibly in Goodland, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1909
This is a postcard view of a wood-framed Episcopal Church, possibly in Goodland, Kansas.


John James Ingalls to Elias T. Ingalls

John James Ingalls to Elias T. Ingalls
Creator: Ingalls, John James, 1833-1900
Date: October 24, 1858
After nearly two weeks in the territory, Ingalls was somewhat more optimistic about his prospects, and in this letter to his father, Elias Ingalls, John Ingalls wrote of the gold rush and his legal business, which "opens very well." but he was still weary of "social conditions," as there were no churches in Sumner and "a total disregard of the Sabbath." Atchison, where he had gone in a futile search for an Episcopal Church, was little better in this regard.


John Pipher to All Whom it may concern

John Pipher to All Whom it may concern
Creator: Pipher, John
Date: April 20, 1859
John Pipher, President of the Board of Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Manhattan, Kansas Territory, wrote a generic letter of recommendation on the behalf of Isaac Goodnow, "Agent to raise funds for Bluemont College." This letter promoted the College as providing for the "Religious & Literary welfare of the Youth of Kansas", and would lend Goodnow credibility when traveling out of the Territory to solicit donations.


Kansas Film Commission site photographs, subject churches

Kansas Film Commission site photographs, subject churches
Creator: Kansas Film Commission
Date: 1980s-2000s
These are panoramic photographs of locations in Kansas created by the Kansas Film Commission to promote scenes to film companies. The panoramics were created by taking individual photos and taping them together. The photographs are arranged alphabetically by subject and then location. Churches are the subject included in this part of the collection.


Methodist Episcopal Church, Larned, Kansas

Methodist Episcopal Church, Larned, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1890
This is a photograph of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Larned, Kansas, once located at the corner of 7th and Main Street. There are some houses and windmills in the background.


Methodist Episcopal Church South and parsonage, Council Grove, Kansas

Methodist Episcopal Church South and parsonage, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: around 1900
This photomechanical print shows the Methodist Episcopal Church South church building and parsonage in Council Grove, Kansas. The print has been retouched by hand.


Methodist Episcopal Church and parsonage, Council Grove, Kansas

Methodist Episcopal Church and parsonage, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: around 1900
These two postcards show the Methodist Episcopal Church and parsonage in Council Grove, Kansas, after a snowfall. A photograph of Captain Rucker is inset in the photo postcard of the church, and a photograph of Mrs. Rucker is inset in the photo postcard of the parsonage.


Methodist Episcopal Church at Kickapoo

Methodist Episcopal Church at Kickapoo
Date: Between 1870 and 1900
View of the first Methodist Episcopal Church built in Kansas at Kickapoo in Leavenworth County.


Methodist Episcopal Church damage after cyclone, Baxter Springs, Kansas

Methodist Episcopal Church damage after cyclone, Baxter Springs, Kansas
Date: July 05, 1895
A photograph showing damage from a cyclone to the Methodist Episcopal Church in Baxter Springs, Kansas. Several people are gathered around the church or on the building rubble.


Ordination of the Rev. M.R. Hogarth, St. Simon's Episcopal Church

Ordination of the Rev. M.R. Hogarth, St. Simon's Episcopal Church
Date: 1920s
Members of St. Simon's Episcopal Church pose for a group portrait after the ordination of the Reverand M. R. Hogarth. The church building in the photograph still stands on brick roads at the intersection of SW 7th and SW Western in Topeka, Kansas. Prominent members of the congregation included Dr. Thaddeus P. Martin and A. M. Thomas.


Scenes of Sherman County, Kansas

Scenes of Sherman County, Kansas
Date: 1900-1940
Multiple scenes of Sherman County, Kansas.


Scenes of Sherman County, Kansas

Scenes of Sherman County, Kansas
Date: 1900-1940
Multiple scenes of Sherman County, Kansas.


Scenes of Sherman County, Kansas

Scenes of Sherman County, Kansas
Date: 1890-1930
Multiple scenes of Sherman County, Kansas.


St. Patrick's Episcopal Church, Runnymede, Kansas

St. Patrick's Episcopal Church, Runnymede, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1890
This photograph shows St. Patrick's Episcopal Church in Runnymede, Kansas. It was a small wood-frame structure with minimal Gothic Revival detailing. The cornerstone was laid on November 28, 1889 and the church was dedicated in May 1890. The town of Runnymede was originally established to teach sons of British gentlemen the ways of successful farming in the West. Finding this agricultural experiment a waste of time, the men spent their days racing horses and throwing parties instead of working. Eventually, many of the immigrants returned to England. With their departure and the inability to attract a rail line, the town faded. St. Patrick's Church was eventually moved to Harper, Kansas and renamed St. James Episcopal Church.


St. Paul's Mission Episcopal Church, Goodland, Sherman County, Kansas

St. Paul's Mission Episcopal Church, Goodland, Sherman County, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1899
St. Paul's Mission church building in Goodland, Sherman County, Kansas. St. Paul's Episcopal Church was founded by Rev. Robert Rhames in February 11, 1890.


Showing 1 - 23

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.