Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1861-1869 (18)
1870s (17)
1880s (12)
1890s (3)
1900s (2)
1910s (4)
1920s (5)
1930s (6)
1940s (6)
1950s (10)
1960s (20)
1970s (1)
1990s (2)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Frankwood E. Williams Papers Frankwood E. Williams Papers

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 604,115
Bookbag items: 36,398
Registered users: 11,082

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 103

Category Filters

Places - Historic sites - Fort Hays

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 103 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas

1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: June 08, 1867
This photograph represents buildings that survived the flooding on June 8, 1867 in Fort Hays, Kansas. At the time of the flood, the buildings standing in the photograph had been built approximately five months prior. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1886
This is a view of the members of the 18th Infantry Band at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


5th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

5th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1869
This photograph shows the 5th Infantry Band parading on the streets of Fort Hays, Kansas, in front of the officer's quarters. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


7th Cavalry Camp, Fort Hays, Kansas

7th Cavalry Camp, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1867
These two photographs represent different views of the 7th Cavalry Camp near Fort Hays, Kansas. In one photograph, men can be sitting in a field outside tents. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


7th Cavalry parade, Fort Hays, Kansas

7th Cavalry parade, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1867
This photograph represents an evening parade by the 7th Cavalry near Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: June 1992
Four aerial photographs of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: June 1992
Several aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: National Park Service
Date: 1966
This series of photographs represent different views of the archeological dig that was held in 1966 at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1966
Five photographs showing an archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866 Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays

Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays
Creator: Kansas. Division of Architectural Services
Date: December 3, 1966
These are site plans for the Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays, Hays, Kansas, drawn by Architectural Services Division, Department of Administration, Topeka, Kansas. The site plan was adapted from a plan prepared by Sergeant Ellis, Company A, 18th Infantry, 1889. The plans were drawn as part of a project to recondition existing buildings and the caretaker's facilities. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Banker's Ink Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Banker's Ink Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This clear glass ink bottle once held "BANKERS INK" manufactured in "KANSAS CITY" as is embossed on the side panel. To the embossed panel's left is a sunken panel which most likely once held a paper label. The bottle was recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. The square bottle has an external threaded screw cap finish, making it later than those ink bottle which were closed with a cork. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Blockhouse and guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas

Blockhouse and guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1920
This postcard shows the old blockhouse and old guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866, Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing, the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Bone Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Bone Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1882
These five buttons were recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. All six buttons are bone four hole sew through buttons, likely made with a lathe. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Brass Belt Buckle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Brass Belt Buckle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This center bar belt buckle was recovered during excavations at historic Fort Hays, in Ellis County, by Kansas Historical Society archeologists in 1966. Formerly the buckle was shiny brass, as is shown by the back, but at some point the prong was painted pink. The buckle measures 1 3/4" by 1 7/16". Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Bridge, Fort Hays, Kansas

Bridge, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1870
This photograph represents a bridge in Fort Hays, Kansas that passes over a stream surrounded by trees. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Brooch from 14EL430

Brooch from 14EL430
Date: 1869-1870
This delicate brass brooch was made in a filigree-like floral pattern with a possible silver center. The brooch was collected at a site that may be the location of a camp used by General George A. Custer and the Seventh Calvary. The site is near Fort Hays in Ellis County. Elizabeth Bacon Custer joined her husband, General George Custer, whenever possible at the 7th Cavalry camps. Perhaps this brooch belonged to her? Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
These three buttons are just a few examples of the many buttons collected during excavation in 1966 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at historic Fort Hays. On the far left is a gilt button front. In the center is a fast deteriorating composite button made of glass, brass and ferrous materials with a red enamel flower under the glass. On the right is a brass button with a fragment of enamel decoration still present. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Cap Box from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Cap Box from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This brass cap box may have been used for holding percussion caps. It was recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. By the late 1860s, percussion cap ammunition was commonly superseded by breech loading metallic cartridges. Perhaps this small brass case was just to good to throw away? Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Cavalry trooper, Fort Hays, Kansas

Cavalry trooper, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1870
This photograph represents a calvary tropper with a saddle mounted horse at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Ceramic Doorknobs from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Ceramic Doorknobs from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1887
These two doorknobs were among the many recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. One is only the knob portion while the other has a remnant of the cast iron shank. Both show a flint enamel glaze, either in a Rockingham or Bennington pattern. Marble-like swirls such as these were first patented in 1841 and were popular from the 1860s into the 20th century. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Chamberlain's Patent Medicine Bottles from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Chamberlain's Patent Medicine Bottles from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1892-1915
These two patent medicine bottles were recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. They date to later than the fort's occupation and may be the result of a dumping episode. Both bottles advertise that they are a "CHAMBERLAIN'S COLIC, CHOLERA AND DIARRHOEA REMEDY" made by the "CHAMBERLAIN MED CO" of "DES MOINES, IOWA." Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


China Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301

China Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1882
These four buttons were excavated in 1966 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at historic Fort Hays, in Ellis County. Left to right they are a white two hole sew through button, a navy blue four hole dish button, a light blue four hole dish button with a dark blue rim, and a four hole sew through calico button in a blue star pattern. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Coins from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Coins from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1868
Both of these coins were recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. One is a shield nickel minted in 1868. The obverse shows a shield representing the United States, while the reverse show the denomination surrounded by stars. The other coin, also minted in 1868, is an Indian head penny. The obverse shows Liberty with a head dress, while the reverse depicts a laurel wreath. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Colby Bottling Works Bottle, 14EL301

Colby Bottling Works Bottle, 14EL301
Date: Unknown
This nearly complete bottle was found in 1966 at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The bottle probably post dates the occupation at the fort, but is still an interesting addition to the Kansas Historical Society's archeological collection. The bottle's bottom side announces it was "Registered Trade-Marked" and "Made in Austria." It was made for the Colby Bottling Works of Colby, Kansas. What could it have held? Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Collapsed guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas

Collapsed guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1910 and 1950
This is a view of the collapsed guardhouse at Fort Hays before restoration. Fort Hays was an important U. S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed on May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U. S. Army. In November 1866, Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U. S. Cavalry, the Fifth U. S. Infantry, and the Tenth U. S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.