Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1854-1860 (4)
1861-1869 (6)
1870s (5)
1880s (4)
1890s (3)
1900s (1)
1930s (2)
1940s (5)
1950s (8)
1960s (7)
1970s (1)
1980s (1)
1990s (1)
2000s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Mr. and Mrs. Henry and Mary Ford, Rossville, Kansas Mr. and Mrs. Henry and Mary Ford, Rossville, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 626,655
Bookbag items: 37,102
Registered users: 11,224

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 30

Category Filters

Places - Historic sites - Hollenberg Pony Express Station

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 30 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Caretaker's cottage at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas

Caretaker's cottage at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1965
Two views of the caretaker's cottage at the Pony Express Station in Washington County, Kansas. The station, originally a ranch house, was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, for people traveling on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 it was operated as a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


Ceremony at the Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas

Ceremony at the Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: July 14, 1963
Four photographs showing a ceremony at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station marking the location as a registered National Historic Landmark. The three men pictured by the monument are S. Sohl, M. Mattes, and L. Dieker. The Hollenberg ranch house was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, establishing a way station for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 they operated a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


Dedication of the Pony Express monument, Washington County, Kansas

Dedication of the Pony Express monument, Washington County, Kansas
Date: August 14, 1964
Several photographs of the dedication ceremony for the Pony Express monument in Washington County, Kansas. Waddell F. Smith and Leo Dieker help with the unveiling of the monument. In 1857, Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg established a way station for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 they operated a Pony Express station. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Dinner Plate from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Dinner Plate from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1864-1904
This whiteware plate sherd was recovered from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County in 1991. It was found below the station and may have been lost anytime during the buildings use as a home or station. The sherd shows the maker's mark of the W. & E. Corn pottery of England. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic places in 1966, and ealier as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Flatware from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Flatware from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This knife and fork were recovered from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County in 1991. They were found below the station and may have been lost anytime during the buildings use as a home or station. The knife has lost all of its wooden handle, but the fork still retains traces of its wooden handle. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier, as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Flow Blue Dish from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Flow Blue Dish from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These two plate sherds, decorated in a floral flow blue patterned with gold trim, were reconstructed in the Archeology Lab at the Kansas Historical Society. One can tell that the transferware pattern was deliberately blurred, a hallmark of flow blue patterns. The sherd on the left was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School, while the sherd on the right was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during a metal detector survey in 1997. Both sherds were found at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, in Washington County, the location of a pony express station, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site, also a stop on the Oregon-California trail, was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.


G. H. Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas

G. H. Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
A photograph of the G. H. Hollenberg ranch house in Washington County, Kansas. This house was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, establishing a way station for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 they operated a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


G. H. Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas

G. H. Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas
Date: 1950
These three photographs represent the ranch home of G. H. Hollenberg in Washington County, Kansas. Built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg as a way station for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail and a Pony Express station from 1860 to 1861, it became a private residence after Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874 until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the property and the surrounding seven acres. In 1961, the property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. See also Unit ID 228951.


G. H. Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas

G. H. Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas
Creator: Walker, Russell W.
Date: Between 1930 and 1949
A photograh of the Hollenberg ranch house in Washington County, Kansas. This house was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, establishing a way station for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 they operated a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


Gerat Henry Hollenberg

Gerat Henry Hollenberg
Date: Between 1860 and 1870
This is a portrait of Gerat Henry Hollenberg, who built and operated the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Hanover in Washington County, Kansas.


Gerat Henry Hollenberg collection

Gerat Henry Hollenberg collection
Date: 1860-1894
Gerat Henry Hollenberg built and operated the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Hanover in Washington County, Kansas. He was also known as the founder of Washington County, Kansas and the city of Hanover. William Kalhoefer, along with August Jaedicke, were the first to settle in Hanover, Kansas. This collection includes papers of Gerat Henry Hollenberg, William Kolhoefer, the St. Joseph and Denver City Railroad, and the St. Joseph, Hanover, and Southwestern Railroad. The bulk of the collection consists of warranty, quit claim, and sheriff deeds involved Hollenberg and land acquisitions in Washington County. Some properties are in Marshall County. The related correspondence documents the early history of the county and its cities, including topics primarily relating to laws and organization. The papers of William Kalhoefer include his marriage license, naturalization papers, bank deposit records, and election certificates for various positions in which he served. These positions included the mayor of Hanover, notary public, township treasurer, and other positions. The railroad records include right-of-way documents and related correspondence.


Hollenberg Pony Express Station

Hollenberg Pony Express Station
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
This is a postcard showing the Hollenberg Pony Express Station near Hanover, Kansas. It was erected in 1857 on the Oregon Trail. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Hollenberg Pony Express Station Buttons, 14WH316

Hollenberg Pony Express Station Buttons, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
Several buttons were found during the 1991 excavations at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. One button fragment is made of shell and the rest are glass. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Hanover, Kansas

Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Hanover, Kansas
Date: Between 1930 and 1949
This is a postcard photo of the exterior of the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Hanover, Kansas. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas

Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board
Date: 1963
Several photographs of the Pony Express Station in Washington County, Kansas. The station, originally a ranch house, was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, for people traveling on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 it was operated as a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas

Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas
Creator: Dieker, Leo
Date: 1943
This is a photograph of the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, after its restoration, in Hanover in Washington County, Kansas. The station was named for Gerat Henry Hollenberg, who built it in 1859 and operated it as the westernmost Pony Express station in Kansas. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier, as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Hollenberg Pony Express Station historical marker, Hanover, Kansas

Hollenberg Pony Express Station historical marker, Hanover, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1980
A photograph of the Hollenberg Pony Express Station historical marker in Hanover, Kansas. This station was established in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier, as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Hollenberg Pony Express station, Washington County, Kansas

Hollenberg Pony Express station, Washington County, Kansas
Date: 1955
This photograph represents the Hollenberg Pony Express station. The Station was built in 1857 by Gerat Hollenberg and his wife on the Oregon-California trail for travelers. Originally operating as a way station, the building functioned as the pony express station from 1860 to 1861. Purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941, the property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1961.


Hollenberg Ranch State Park Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas

Hollenberg Ranch State Park Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas
Date: 1965
These two photographs represent individual views of the Hollenberg Ranch which later operated as the Hollenberg Pony Express Station from 1860 to 1861 in Washington County, Kansas along the Oregon-California Trail. Purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941, the property was listed on the National Register for Historic Places in 1961.


Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas

Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas
Creator: Walker, Russell W.
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
A photograph of the Hollenberg ranch house in Washington County, Kansas. This house was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, establishing a way station for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 they operated a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas

Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas
Date: 1955
A photograph of an outbuilding near the Hollenberg ranch house in Washington County, Kansas. This house was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, establishing a way station for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 they operated a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas

Hollenberg ranch house, Washington County, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
Three views of the Hollenberg ranch house. This house was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, establishing a way station for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 they operated a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


Interior views of the Hollenberg Pony Express Station

Interior views of the Hollenberg Pony Express Station
Date: 1964
These are several interior views of the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County, Kansas. The station, originally a ranch house, was built in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg, for people traveling on the Oregon-California Trail, and from 1860 to 1861 it was operated as a Pony Express station. After Gerat Hollenberg's death in 1874, the station became a farm home until 1941 when the Kansas Legislature purchased the building and the surrounding seven acres. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1961 and two years later, the Kansas Historical Society was given the responsibility to operate it as Hollenberg Pony Express Station Historic Site.


Kansas Film Commission site photographs, subjects airports - attractions

Kansas Film Commission site photographs, subjects airports - attractions
Creator: Kansas Film Commission
Date: 1980s - 2000s
These are panoramic photographs of locations in Kansas created by the Kansas Film Commission to promote scenes to film companies. The panoramics were created by taking individual photos and taping them together. The photographs are arranged alphabetically by subject and then location. Subjects included in this part of the collection are: airports, animals, antiques, and attractions.


Maker's Mark from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Maker's Mark from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1864-1891
This dinner plate or platter was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and volunteers at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station. This fragment of dishware was produced in Burslem, England, at the pottery of W. & E. Corn. The site, in Washington County, was the location of a pony express station, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site, also a stop on the Oregon-California trail, was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.