Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1861-1869 (1)
1890s (1)
1950s (3)
1960s (166)
1970s (1)
2000s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Zimmerman Park Expedition, Rice County, Kansas Zimmerman Park Expedition, Rice County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 626,655
Bookbag items: 37,077
Registered users: 11,218

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 166

Category Filters

Date - 1960s - 1966

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 166 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1966 Topeka tornado

1966 Topeka tornado
Creator: Fisher, Gail
Date: June 1966
Here are 16 slides showing damage caused by the 1966 tornado in downtown and residential areas in Topeka, Kansas. Several buildings are visible in the slides including the National Reserve Life, Topeka bus barn, Kansas State Capitol and printing plant, and KPL buildings.


Aerial view of Garden City, Finney County, Kansas

Aerial view of Garden City, Finney County, Kansas
Date: 1966
This is an aerial view of Garden City, Kansas. This photograph was donated by the Kansas Industrial Development Commission. A baseball field is in the foreground.


Aerial view of Shawnee County, Kansas

Aerial view of Shawnee County, Kansas
Creator: Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service
Date: June 06, 1966
An aerial photograph taken by the Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service showing parts of Shawnee County. The map is an overview of the areas photographed.


Aerial view of Shawnee County, Kansas

Aerial view of Shawnee County, Kansas
Creator: Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service
Date: June 09, 1966
This aerial photograph taken by the Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Services, shows damage from the June 8, 1966 tornado that moved through Shawnee County, Kansas. The map is an overview of the areas photographed.


Aerial views of the 1966 Topeka tornado's path

Aerial views of the 1966 Topeka tornado's path
Creator: Aerial Photography International, Inc.
Date: June 10, 1966
Here are 38 aerial photographs showing the path of the 1966 Topeka tornado. Registered as an F5, the powerful storm traveled from the southwest of the city to the northeast, causing the deaths of 17 people, and more than $104 million in damage. The tornado was on the ground for 34 minutes, and left a path of destruction 21 miles long and one-half mile wide.


Aerial views of the Council Grove Dam and Reservoir

Aerial views of the Council Grove Dam and Reservoir
Creator: United States. Army. Corps of Engineers.
Date: Spring 1966
Two photographs show the Council Grove Dam and Reservoir from the air


A farm near Ottawa, Franklin County, Kansas

A farm near Ottawa, Franklin County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas. Industrial Development Division
Date: 1966
A typical farm scene near Ottawa, Kansas, in Franklin County. This photograph shows a two-story house, large barn, silo and multiple out-buildings.


Aftermath of June 8, 1966, Topeka tornado

Aftermath of June 8, 1966, Topeka tornado
Date: June 1966
These eighteen color slides show scenes of the destruction after the June 8, 1966, Topeka tornado. The first seven were shot from the top of the Statehouse, and one shows the damage to the Capitol dome. The next seven show damage to cars and buildings in the downtown area, including the water tower at 11th and Kansas Avenue, Brier Insurance, and Dependable Cars. One shows a National Guardsman directing traffic. The last four photos were taken from Burnett's Mound looking north. All the photographs were taken by Walter Fredericksen, who worked for the State Highway Commission in Topeka at the time.


Agriculture Hall of Fame correspondence and photographs

Agriculture Hall of Fame correspondence and photographs
Creator: Rottluff, Blanche
Date: 1965-1966
This is folder 55 of the Rottluff Family papers collection. The papers relate to the establishment of present-day Bonner Springs, Kansas. This file is part of box 2 of the collection.


Alfred M. Landon and Dan Lykins

Alfred M. Landon and Dan Lykins
Date: December 13, 1966
This is a photograph of Governor Alfred M. Landon and Dan Lykins taken at Kansas State University. Governor Landon was at the University to speak at the first Landon Lecture Series. Following his speech, Dan Lykins interviewed him for the school radio station.


American Association for Child Psychoanalysis first annual meeting in Topeka, Kansas

American Association for Child Psychoanalysis first annual meeting in Topeka, Kansas
Date: April 8, 1966
The first annual meeting of the American Association for Child Psychoanalysis was held in Topeka at the Menninger Clinic on April 8 - 10, 1966.


Ann Pichler holding a line of fish, Crawford County, Kansas

Ann Pichler holding a line of fish, Crawford County, Kansas
Date: June 1966
This is a photograph of Ann Pichler holding a line of fish, most likely in Crawford County. Ann and her husband Charlie Pichler were the founders of Chicken Annie's Original restaurant in Frontenac, Kansas.


Anna Freud lecturing at the Menninger Clinic, Topeka, Kansas

Anna Freud lecturing at the Menninger Clinic, Topeka, Kansas
Date: April 1966
Anna Freud lectures at the Menninger School of Psychiatry 20th reunion. Karl Menninger, MD, is joining her in laughter. Menninger is a leading psychiatric hospital dedicated to treating individuals with mood, personality, anxiety and addictive disorders, teaching mental health professionals and advancing mental healthcare through research. Once located in Topeka, Kansas, they relocated in 2003 to Houston, Texas.


Annual meeting report of the Hodgeman County Historical Society

Annual meeting report of the Hodgeman County Historical Society
Creator: Pitts, Frances
Date: September 09, 1966
A report of the regular Annual Meeting of the Hodgeman County Historical Society, Jetmore, Kansas. Listed are the officers and directors who were elected. Frances Pitts, Secretary, signed the report.


Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: National Park Service
Date: 1966
This series of photographs represent different views of the archeological dig that was held in 1966 at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1966
Five photographs showing an archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866 Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays

Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays
Creator: Kansas. Division of Architectural Services
Date: December 3, 1966
These are site plans for the Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays, Hays, Kansas, drawn by Architectural Services Division, Department of Administration, Topeka, Kansas. The site plan was adapted from a plan prepared by Sergeant Ellis, Company A, 18th Infantry, 1889. The plans were drawn as part of a project to recondition existing buildings and the caretaker's facilities. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Ash Grove Cement Company, Chanute, Kansas

Ash Grove Cement Company, Chanute, Kansas
Creator: Kansas Industrial Development Commission
Date: 1966
These three photographs show various views of the Ash Grove Cement Company in Chanute, Kansas. The plant opened in 1908 as the company's first cement operation.


Ash Grove Cement Company, Chanute, Neosho County, Kansas

Ash Grove Cement Company, Chanute, Neosho County, Kansas
Date: 1966
These photographs show three exterior views of the Ash Grove Cement Company in Chanute, Neosho County, Kansas.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's military shipment, Dallas, Texas

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's military shipment, Dallas, Texas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: 1966
This black and white photograph shows a view of jeeps and other military equipment being shipped by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company near Dallas, Texas.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's military shipment, Dallas, Texas

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's military shipment, Dallas, Texas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: 1966
This black and white photograph shows military equipment being shipped via the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company near Dallas, Texas.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company boxcar

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company boxcar
Date: April 10, 1966
This technical drawing by the Thrall Car Manufacturing Company shows the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company boxcar 86-6.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company coal train, Flagstaff Arizona

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company coal train, Flagstaff Arizona
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: 1966
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company first unit coal train which went from Kaiser's York Canyon Mine to California. It is shown approaching Flagstaff, Arizona.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway  car built to carry airplane parts

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway car built to carry airplane parts
Date: March 30, 1966
A photograph showing the end of an Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway flat car with removable sides, ends, and roof to be loaded with airplane parts from Lockheed-California. The flat car, a class Ft-35, series 90430-90437, was built by the Topeka shops.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Dodge City, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Dodge City, Kansas
Creator: Kansas Industrial Development Commission
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
This photograph shows Engine No.36 in front of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Dodge, City, Kansas. In the background passengers are visibly walking along the brick platform. The two-story red-brick structure, built in 1898, is designed in the Richardsonian-Romanesque style which includes a passenger depot and railroad offices. The building operates as an Amtrak stop but service is limited with two daily trains. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.