Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1940s (1)
1950s (142)
1960s (3)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Fort Hays museum Fort Hays museum

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 731,860
Bookbag items: 37,986
Registered users: 11,649

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 142

Category Filters

Date - 1950s - 1956

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 142 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


A.E. Hunt's 'aeroplane' that never flew used principles involved in today's whirlies

A.E. Hunt's 'aeroplane' that never flew used principles involved in today's whirlies
Creator: Wichita Eagle
Date: January 8, 1956
This article published in the the Wichita Eagle deals with the accomplishments of early aviation enthusiast A.E. Hunt. Hunt, of Jetmore, Kansas, built a flying machine in 1910 containing design elements that would later be refined and used in some of the world's first helicopters. In fact, the article compares the features found on Hunt's rotary aircraft to a Cessna CH-1 helicopter in order to demonstrate the similarities between the basic elements of each craft's design.


Aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1956
This is an aerial view of Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Aerial view of the Neosho River in Council Grove, Kansas

Aerial view of the Neosho River in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1956
This photograph shows a view from above of the Neosho River passing through Council Grove.


Aerial views of Topeka and Shawnee County, Kansas

Aerial views of Topeka and Shawnee County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas Department of Transporation
Date: November 30, 1956
A series of aerial photographs showing construction of I-70 Interstate west of Gage Boulevard. Also, the areas east of Gage Boulevard to MacVicar Avenue, where I-70 was eventually built. Recognizable sites include: West Hills residential area; Kansas River; Topeka Water Department treatment plant; sand and concrete company; and Union Pacific Railroad tracks.


A history of trade unions in Kansas

A history of trade unions in Kansas
Creator: Karson, Marc
Date: March 1956
Marc Karson, Associate Professor of Political Science at Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas, wrote this history of trade unions in Kansas for the Kansas State Federation of Labor in March 1956.


All-State Player semi-pro baseball certificates

All-State Player semi-pro baseball certificates
Creator: National Baseball Congress of America
Date: July 01, 1947-July 31, 1956
These All-State Player certificates were issued to Topekan Harland Coffman for his performance during the state semi-pro baseball tournaments held in Wichita in 1947, 1954, and 1956. Each year, 16 players who competed in the state semi-pro tournament were honored by being named to the all-state team. Coffman was a member of the Topeka Decker Oilers, a perennial contender for the state semi-pro baseball title in the 1940s and 1950s. Harland's father 'Pooch' (also known as Al and Vern) was the long-time manager of the Decker Oilers. Other family members who played with the team were Harland's brother Burton, and his uncles Ed and Junior Coffman. Between 1948 and 1953, Harland Coffman pitched for several minor league teams. In the 158 minor league games for which his statistics are available, he achieved an overall record of 62-46, with an ERA of 3.19. The National Baseball Congress of America was also the National Semi-Pro Baseball Congress. Digital reproduction of the photograph was accomplished through a joint project sponsored by the Kansas Historical Society and the Shawnee County Baseball Hall of Fame.


Annals of Kansas, volume two, 1911-1925

Annals of Kansas, volume two, 1911-1925
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1956
Volume two of Jennie Small Owen's Annals of Kansas covers 1911-1925. The annals is a chronological listing of significant events in Kansas history. Kirke Mechem edited this work. Published by the Kansas State Historical Society, this work continues the work of Daniel W. Wilder's Annals of Kansas, 1541-1885.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company box depot, Olivet, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company box depot, Olivet, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: February 19, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company box depot in Olivet, Kansas. The structure was a part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Second District at mile post 86.2.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot and interlocking tower, Ottawa, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot and interlocking tower, Ottawa, Kansas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot and interlocking tower at Ottawa, Kansas.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Augusta, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Augusta, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: May 30, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Augusta, Kansas. The brick structure built between 1917 and 1918 is located on the Eastern Lines, Middle Division, Douglass District, milepost 185.7. The combination depot still stands and is used by Burlington Northern Railway Company.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Emporia, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Emporia, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: February 19, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot at Emporia, Kansas. It was located on the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Middle Division, First District at mile post 112.1.


Atchison,Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Emporia, Kansas

Atchison,Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Emporia, Kansas
Creator: Hanschu, Steven F.
Date: Between 1977 and 1978
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot located at 3rd and Neosho in Emporia, Kansas. It was built in the 1890s and the additions were added in the 1920s.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Iola, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Iola, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: September 01, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Iola, Kansas. The prairie-style station featured a hipped roof, a semi-hexagonal operator's bay and matching waiting room. The red-brick structure was located on the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Third District along mile post 109.7. The depot was razed in the 1970s


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Lawrence, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Lawrence, Kansas
Date: 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas. The one-story brick building is located at 412 East 7th Street and was designed as a Midwestern Modern architecture structure by Warren Corman and Warren Jones, graduates from the University of Kansas. Construction began on the depot in 1955 and was completed in 1956. It was part of the Eastern Line of the Eastern Division in the First District of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe system. A duplication of this image can be seen in Kansas Memory item: 218046.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Lebo, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Lebo, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: February 02, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Lebo, Kansas. The wooden structure is located on the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Second District, along mile post 93.8.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Lecompton, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Lecompton, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: January 14, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Lecompton, County, Kansas. The wooden structure was located on the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, First District along mile post 37.4.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Melvern, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Melvern, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: February 19, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Melvern, Kansas. The wooden structure was part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Second District at milepost 79.6. The depot no longer stands.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Meriden, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Meriden, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: February 12, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Meriden, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure was part of Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Atchison District at milepost 39.4. The depot no longer stands.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company shed depot, Cummings, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company shed depot, Cummings, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: January 15, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's shed depot in Cummings, Kansas. The structure was part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Atchison District at milepost 10.7.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's steam Locomotive #3463

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's steam Locomotive #3463
Date: August 02, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's steam locomotive #3463 in Topeka, Kansas. The locomotive was designed by H.H. Lanning and his staff in Topeka and built in 1937 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The steam locomotive was first assigned between La Junta, Colorado and Chicago, Illinois. Later with the introduction of the diesel engine, service was changed to Kansas City and Oklahoma City and between Kansas City and Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 1953, the #3463 made one last run between Newton, Kansas and Emporia, Kansas. For three years the class 4-6-4 locomotive remained in Emporia until 1956 when it was permanently moved to the Topeka Fairgrounds. This steam locomotive is the only one in existence today.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's switch engine

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's switch engine
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: 1956
This photograph shows a Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company's FM switch engine as it shoves against a cut of piggyback cars loaded with a variety of trailers. Also visible is a switchman riding point to #F3202 trailer


Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company's switch engine #2301, Calwa, CA.

Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company's switch engine #2301, Calwa, CA.
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: Between 1953 and 1969
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company's switcher engine #2301, a American Locomotive Company 600 horsepower high hood switcher, at Calwa, California. The switch engines or switchers were used to assemble and disassemble trains but were not used for long hauls.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company tower, Merrick, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company tower, Merrick, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: February 19, 1956
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company tower in Merrick, Kansas. The tower is located on the Eastern Lines, Middle Division, First District, mile post 115.3.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company train Super Chief,  Albuquerque, New Mexico

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company train Super Chief, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: May 1956
This colored slide shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company train #17, the "Super Chief", making a stop in Albuquerque, New Mexico.


Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company yard and depot, Barstow, California

Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company yard and depot, Barstow, California
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: 1956
This photograph shows an early morning view of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company yard and depot at Barstow, California. Also, in view is train No. 21 the westbound El Capitan, departing from the depot.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.