Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Brownell High School Album Brownell High School Album

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 602,371
Bookbag items: 36,268
Registered users: 11,025

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 10

Category Filters

Business and Industry - Health care - Dentistry

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


800 block on South Kansas Avenue, Topeka, Kansas

800 block on South Kansas Avenue, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Wolfe, Harold B., 1898-1966
Date: Between 1930 and 1939
This panoramic view shows the west side of the 800 block on South Kansas Avenue, Topeka, Kansas. Businesses visible in the photograph: J.E. McFarland Drug Company, J.W. Jenkins' Sons Music Company, Stronge & Warner, McLellan Stores Company, Lyman & Lyman Dentist, Union, James Hayes, Santa Fe Watch Company, Jones-O'neal Shoe Company, and the Cinderella Shoppe.


A. C. Griffith business card

A. C. Griffith business card
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
A business card for dentist Dr. A. C. Griffith, D.D.S. His office was located on the second floor opposite the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) temple in Canton, Kansas.


A and B Drug Company on Broadway, Marysville, Kansas

A and B Drug Company on Broadway, Marysville, Kansas
Date: 1926
This photograph shows an exterior view of the A and B Drug Company on Broadway west of 10th Street in Marysville, Kansas. The sign on the side of the building also reads, "The Rexall Store, where you get what you call for." To the left of the drug store, a sign for W. H. Grindle's Dental Office is visible. Other businesses partially visible along the street include Electric Signs Talk, Isis Theatre, Exchange Bank, a shoe store, the City Bakery, a grocery store, another drug store, Independent Garage, and Pioneer Tire Service. A few people are visible walking on the sidewalks, and many automobiles are visible parked or driving along the street.


Dental care, Kansas City, Kansas

Dental care, Kansas City, Kansas
Creator: United States. Works Progress Administration
Date: Between 1935 and 1943
A young boy getting his teeth cleaned by a dentist in Kansas City, Kansas. This service was provided by the Works Progress Administration's domestic science and food project.


Dental case

Dental case
Date: between 1871 and 1907
Rosewood case with metal hardware. Hinged lid plus three drawers, one on the front and one on each side. Side drawers include one secondary drawer each. The case contains a set of ivory-handled dental instruments (1951.19.2 to 95). Belonged to Dr. Eben Palmer (1846-1916). Palmer began praciticing dentistry in his native Ohio in 1871, and relocated with his family to Jackson County, Kansas in 1881. He remained in practice in Jackson County until his retirement in 1907.


Dr. H. C. Perdue's Neosho County Advertiser, Erie, Kansas

Dr. H. C. Perdue's Neosho County Advertiser, Erie, Kansas
Date: Between 1887 and 1889
This pamphlet titled The Neosho County Advertiser was published by Dr. H. C. Perdue, M. D., in Erie, Kansas. It contains approximately 50 pages of descriptions of medical cures and other advertising. Descriptions of Dr. Perdue's Ague Cure and other medical treatments are on pages 2-28, and other advertisements are on pages 29-49, plus the inside and outside of the back cover. Besides information on Dr. Perdue's medical practice, there are numerous advertisements for drug stores. Drug stores listed in the advertisements (and their town locations, all in Kansas) include: Palace Drug Store, Erie; Ira Steinberger Drug Store, Erie; New City Drug Store, Erie; Dr. C. E. Steadman, Druggist, Osage Mission; I. N. Wherrett General Merchandise and Drugs, Vietsburg; M. Devine, Druggist, Osage Mission; Baldwin House Drug Store, Thayer; W. R. Kramer, Druggist, Chanute; John McCarthy, Druggist, Galesburg; and Mrs. Samuel Whelpley, Druggist, Morehead. Druggists listed as references for Dr. Perdue include Charles H. Eaton and J. T. Brown, both of Erie. Other businesses and professions advertised include attorneys, real estate agents, merchants, banks, doctors, clothing stores, millinery and dress making stores, grocery stores, jewelry stores, candy stores, cigar stores, meat markets, bakeries, livery stables, abstracters, tree nurseries, buggy harness stores, carpenters, hardware stores, fur dealers, barber shops, lumber companies, monument dealers, dry goods, dentists, hotels, and furniture stores.


Governor Clyde M. Reed correspondence, Board of Dental Examiners applications

Governor Clyde M. Reed correspondence, Board of Dental Examiners applications
Creator: Kansas. Governor (1929-1931 : Reed)
Date: 1929-1931
This file includes subject correspondence relating to applications of employment with the Board of Dental Examiners. This file is part of a bigger collection of Governor Clyde M. Reed correspondence.


Lucy Hobbs Taylor

Lucy Hobbs Taylor
Date: Between January 01, 1860 and December 31, 1870
Dr. Lucy Hobbs Taylor graduated from the Ohio College of Dentistry in Cincinnati, Ohio, the second dental school in the world, as the world's first fully-trained woman dentist. In 1867 Lucy and her husband moved to Lawrence, Kansas, where they both practiced dentistry for more than forty years.


Lucy Hobbs Taylor's diploma

Lucy Hobbs Taylor's diploma
Creator: Ohio College of Dentistry
Date: February 1866
This is Lucy Hobbs Taylor's diploma from Ohio College of Dentistry. In 1866 she became the first woman in the world to receive a doctorate in dentistry. She married Civil War veteran James Myrtle Taylor and began to teach him dentistry. The couple moved to Lawrence in 1867 and established a joint practice. The Taylors purchased an empty lot in Lawrence (now 809 Vermont Street) and built a combination office and residence. Here they created one of the most successful dental practices in Kansas. They built a home on Ohio Street and moved their practice to a commercial building at 8th and Massachusetts streets. A year after her husband died in 1886, Taylor retired and devoted her time to charity and social causes, namely women's rights.


Painless Romine advertisement

Painless Romine advertisement
Date: 1912
Advertisement for Painless Romine, a Topeka dentist. The ad was copied from a lantern slide.


Showing 1 - 10

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.