Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Caretaker's cottage at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas Caretaker's cottage at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Washington County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 627,299
Bookbag items: 37,163
Registered users: 11,230

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 14

Category Filters

Education - Higher education - Institutions - Bethany College, Topeka, Kansas

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 14 of 14 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kansas

Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kansas
Creator: Grondal, Bror Gustaf
Date: Between 1910 and 1915
This is an informal portrait of women students picking daisies at a location where Priner Hall stands on Bethany College campus, Lindsborg, Kansas. Bethany Daisy, the college annual, received its name from this source.


Bethany College Messiah Chorus-1905

Bethany College Messiah Chorus-1905
Date: 1905
Bethany College; Messiah Chorus-c1905; Samuel Thornstinberg, Director.


Bethany College football team, Lindsborg, Kansas

Bethany College football team, Lindsborg, Kansas
Creator: Bethany College (Lindsborg, Kan.)
Date: 1904
This is a studio portrait of the members of the Bethany College football team, known as the "Terrible Swedes," of Lindsborg, Kansas. This photograph was copied from an issue of the Bethany College "Bulletin."


Bethany College football team, Lindsborg, Kansas

Bethany College football team, Lindsborg, Kansas
Date: 1902
This is a studio portrait of the members of the Bethany College football team, known as the "Terrible Swedes," of Lindsborg, Kansas. This photograph was copied from an issue of the Bethany College "Bulletin." The players in the photograph are identified as: Top row: Anton Peterson, E.A. Sodergren, Karl Slatt, Harry Larson, Prof. V.A.C. Henmon, manager; Second row: Karl "Kacie" Swenson, Winfred Bunbury, Frank Bush, Coach Bennie Owen, Dave Petterson, Fred Troutman, Alfred Petterson; Third row: Evan Pugh, John Turner, Howard "Bill" Bailey, Captain Lesley Petterson, Leonard Haggman, Elmer Wiley; Bottom row: Andrew Petterson and Quincy Banbury.


Bird's eye view of the city of Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas

Bird's eye view of the city of Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas
Creator: Worrall, Henry, 1825-1902
Date: 1887
Tlhis lithograph is a bird's eye view of Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas. It is an advertisement for the sale of land by Strickler, Daniels, & Pounds, real estate, loans, and investments and by the Investment Banking Company. The same people are involved in both business. Buildings/institutions identified in the legend at the bottom include the State Capitol, Bethany College, the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad shops, the State Reform School, Washburn College, State Insane Asylum, Potwin Place, and the State Fair Grounds. Some parts of the lithograph show detail on buildings and other are not very distinct. A number of other railroad lines are shown, in addition to AT&SF. The Kansas River runs through the northern portion of Topeka. Two areas, Washburn Place and Euclid Park, are shown and they are possibly real estate developments for the company producing the lithograph.


College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas

College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1911 and 1928
This postcard shows Wolfe Hall at the College of the Sisters of Bethany in Topeka, Kansas. The stone and concrete addition to Wolfe Hall's porch could possibly be credited to Kansas City architect Louis Curtiss. The building was located at Ninth and Polk Streets and was completed in 1872 to provide an Episcopalian education to young women from kindergarten through their second year of college. For a number of years classes were taught in the college's main building until a decline in enrollment forced the school to close its doors in 1928. Wolfe Hall was demolished in 1959.


College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas

College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: The Sunhling & Koehn Co., Pub., Chicago
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
These two postcards show Wolfe Hall at the College of the Sisters of Bethany in Topeka, Kansas. The building, located at Ninth and Polk Streets, was completed in 1872 to provide a Episcopalian education to young women from kindergarten to their second year of college. For a number of years classes were taught in the college's main building until a decline in enrollment forced the school to close in 1928. Wolfe Hall was demolished in 1959.


College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas

College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Arthur Capper
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
This postcard shows Wolfe Hall at the College of the Sisters of Bethany in Topeka, Kansas. The building, located at Ninth and Polk Streets, was completed in 1872 to provide an Episcopalian education to young women from kindergarten through their second year of college. For a number of years classes were taught in the college's main building until a decline in enrollment forced the school to close in 1928. Wolfe Hall was demolished in 1959.


College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas

College of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1911 and 1928
This postcard shows modification to the porch at Wolfe Hall on the campus of the College of the Sisters of Bethany in Topeka, Kansas. The stone and concrete addition could possibly be credited to Kansas City architect Louis Curtiss. The building was located at Ninth and Polk Streets and was completed in 1872 to provide an Episcopalian education to young women from kindergarten through their second year of college. Classes were taught in the college's main building until a decline in enrollment forced the school to close in 1928. Wolfe Hall was demolished in 1959.


Graduates from Bethany College, Topeka, Kansas

Graduates from Bethany College, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Leonard, J. H.
Date: 1891
These two photographs show seven women who graduated in 1891 from Bethany College, Topeka, Kansas.


Map of Topeka. The capital of Kansas

Map of Topeka. The capital of Kansas
Creator: Willits, W.C.
Date: 1878
A map of Topeka, Kansas, showing the city's neighborhood additions, streets, railroad lines, and points of interest such as the Capitol Park, College of the Sisters of Bethany, and the city park. Also listed are business advertisements and a drawing of the College of the Sisters of Bethany and the Wentworth House.


The Capital City Topeka Picturesque and Descriptive

The Capital City Topeka Picturesque and Descriptive
Creator: Art Publishing Company
Date: 1888-1889
This is a book containing photographs of buildings, bridges, Kansas capitol under construction, parks, houses, College of the Sisters of Bethany, street scenes, Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe shops, Union Pacific depot, industries, banks, greenhouses, newspaper offices, hotels, opera houses, churches, water works, machine shops and foundries, library, county jail, lumber yard, elevators, Rock Island depot, Washburn College, cotton factory, and bird's-eye views of Topeka. Also, included in the book are histories and information about Topeka's founding, Washburn University, College of the Sisters of Bethany, newspapers, public libraries, churches, and board of trade.


Topeka High School, Topeka, Kansas

Topeka High School, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Lyman, Don
Date: May 5, 1930
Two photographs showing Topeka High School, located at 800 SW 10th Street, Topeka, Kansas, under construction. It was designed by architects Thomas Williamson and Ted Greist and completed in 1931. The building features a 155 foot bell tower and many architectural elements copied from Hampton Court Palace located near London, England. Topeka High School was the first million dollar high school built west of the Mississippi River. In the background is Wolfe Hall, which was once part of the College of Sisters of Bethany.


Topeka High School, Topeka, Kansas

Topeka High School, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1930
A photograph showing excavation construction for Topeka High School, located at 800 SW 10th Street, Topeka, Kansas. It was designed by architects Thomas Williamson and Ted Greist and completed in 1931. The building features a 155 foot bell tower and many architectural elements copied from Hampton Court Palace located near London, England. Topeka High School was the first million dollar high school built west of the Mississippi River. In the background of this photograph, is Wolfe Hall at the College of Sisters of Bethany.


Showing 1 - 14

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.