Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Frank Darrell Timken back from noon chow in Korea Frank Darrell Timken back from noon chow in Korea

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 635,879
Bookbag items: 37,359
Registered users: 11,397

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 14

Category Filters

Education - Higher education - Institutions - Lincoln College

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 14 of 14 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Lincoln College, Topeka, Kansas. 351 miles west of St. Louis, Missouri

Lincoln College, Topeka, Kansas. 351 miles west of St. Louis, Missouri
Creator: Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882
Date: 1867
This stereograph shows Lincoln College (now Washburn University) Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas. Visible in the photograph are business buildings and dwellings. In the foreground are construction buildings and stones used to build the Kansas capitol. It is from Alexander Gardner's series, Across the Continent on the Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division.


Luther Hart Platt, Jeremiah Evarts Platt, Henry Dutton Platt, and Enoch Platt

Luther Hart Platt, Jeremiah Evarts Platt, Henry Dutton Platt, and Enoch Platt
Date: Between 1865 and 1870
A portrait of Luther Hart Platt, Jeremiah Evarts Platt, Dutton Platt, and Enoch Platt, sons of Jireh and Sarah Platt, abolitionists in Mendon, Illinois. Jeremiah Platt, an abolitionist, came to the Kansas Territory to promote the anti-slavery cause. He was part of the Beecher Bible and Rifle Colony in Wabaunsee County, Kansas, and taught at Kansas State Agricultural College. Luther came to Kansas in 1865 and taught at Lincoln College, Topeka, Kansas, and later became a Congregational minister and served several churches in southeast and western Kansas.


Washburn School in Topeka, Kansas

Washburn School in Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Bliss, W. P.
Date: Between 1863 and 1865
This is a carte-de-visite showing Lincoln College, later Washburn College, located on the northeast corner of 10th and Jackson in Topeka, Kansas.


Washburn School in Topeka, Kansas

Washburn School in Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1870 and 1875
This is an engraving depicting Washburn School located on the northeast corner of 10th and Jackson in Topeka, Kansas. The building was later renamed Jackson School.


Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This black and white photograph shows the main entrance to Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas. The school is located on 160 acres of land, donated by Kansas abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later rename, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.


Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1900s and 1920s
These two colored postcards show the main entrance to Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas. The school is located on 160 acres of land, donated by Kansas abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.


Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Strickrott, John F.
Date: Between 1870 and 1890
This sepia colored photograph shows the campus of Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas. The school is located on 160 acres of land, donated by Kansas abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program.


Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This black and white picture postcard shows a view of the Washburn Campus in Topeka, Kansas. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn Unviersity of Topeka.


Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Warren M. Crosby & Co., Dry Goods and Shoes, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This postcard shows buildings on the Washburn Campus in Topeka, Kansas. From left to right the structures have been identified as follows: Crane Observatory, Boswell Library and MacVicar Chapel. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.


Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1929
This black and white postcard shows a view of the Washburn campus and library in Topeka, Kansas. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.


Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1919
This sepia colored image shows a west view of the Washburn campus in Topeka, Kansas. In the background Crane Hall Observatory is visible. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.


Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn University campus, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Hall Stationery Co., Topeka, KS
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This color postcard shows a view of the Washburn campus in Topeka, Kansas. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln college in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.


Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: E.C. Kropp, Publisher, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This colored postcard shows buildings on the Washburn Campus in Topeka, Kansas. At the top is Boswell Library, to the right is Holbrook Hall, and at the bottom is MacVicar Chapel. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Ichabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed, in 1952, Washburn University of Topeka.


Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas

Washburn campus, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1919
This sepia colored image shows a view of the Washburn Campus in Topeka, Kansas. The campus is located on 160 acres of land, donated by abolitionist John Ritchie, in the central portion of the capital city. Established in February of 1865 by the Congregational Church, the school was named Lincoln College in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. In 1868, the board of trustees changed the institution's name to Washburn College to honor Icabod Washburn, a wealthy industrialist from Worcester, Massachusetts, who gave a $25,000 donation to the college's endowment program. The school was later renamed Washburn University of Topeka in 1952.


Showing 1 - 14

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.