Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1800-1819 (1)
1854-1860 (1)
1861-1869 (37)
1870s (28)
1880s (16)
1890s (4)
1900s (7)
1910s (5)
1920s (6)
1930s (8)
1940s (8)
1950s (10)
1960s (20)
1970s (2)
1990s (2)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

206900

-

Random Item

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's Hanover Junction, New Mexico Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's Hanover Junction, New Mexico

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 734,575
Bookbag items: 39,739
Registered users: 12,122

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 165

Category Filters

Places - Forts and military installations - Fort Hays

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 165 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1819 One cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1819 One cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This one cent coin was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The cent, now commonly called a penny, was also called a large cent. The Matron head design shown here was minted between 1816 and 1839. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1866 Three cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1866 Three cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This three cent coin was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The three cent coin was minted from 1851 to 1889, first in silver and then in 1865, in nickel. This coin was minted in 1866 and has a Liberty head on the obverse side and a Roman numeral III on the reverse. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1880 Liberty Head Half Eagle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1880 Liberty Head Half Eagle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1880-1889
This coin was recovered during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The $5.00 coin is 90% gold and 10% copper. Minted in 1880, the coin has a Liberty or Coronet head on the obverse side and an eagle with shield on the reverse side. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1886
This is a view of the members of the 18th Infantry Band at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1966 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1966 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1966
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1966. The excavations took place in the area of the sutler's store and house. Shown is the archeological excavations in progress, a group of square bricks, a trash pit, and an aerial view showing the excavations, golf course, historic trails, and modern roads. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1967 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1967 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1967
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1967. The excavations took place in the area of the Commanding Officer's Quarters and a fort dump. Shown is an excavated foundation, artifacts at the bottom of one of the fort's dumps, and a view of the excavations in progress. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1968 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1968 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1968
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1968. The excavations took place in the area of the officer's quarters (Officer's Row). Shown are two views of the House 4 cellar excavation, the archeological excavations of the foundations for Houses 2 through 6 in progress, and a toy dish discovered in the House 5 excavations. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1969 Excavation at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1969 Excavation at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1969
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1969. The excavations took place in the area of the fort hospital. Shown are the southeast support of the east hospital wing, the east center support of the west hospital annex, the east drain into the hospital cistern, and a bayonet discovered during excavation. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1970 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1970 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1970
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1969. Shown is a view of the completed excavation of the fort's coal shed foundation, a view of the main living area of the surgeon's quarters, and a young man drawing profiles of features 834 and 822 at the site. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


5th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

5th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1869
This photograph shows the 5th Infantry Band parading on the streets of Fort Hays, Kansas, in front of the officer's quarters. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: June 1992
Four aerial photographs of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: June 1992
Several aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


An Appeal from Arickaree

An Appeal from Arickaree
Creator: Howes, Cecil, 1880-1950
Date: 1940-1950
This item, written by Kansas City Star editor Charles Cecil Howes, concerns the Battle of Arickaree that took place in Kansas in 1868. Howes does not address any of the controversy surrounding the event but he does provide a solid account of the accepted facts of the combat that took place between U.S. Army soldiers, led by General George A. Forsyth (a Colonel at the time), and Indian warriors led by Cheyenne War Chief Roman Nose. This item also includes some excerpts from General Forsyth's "Thrilling Days of Army Life," which had not yet been published at the time Howes' article was printed.


Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1966
Five photographs showing an archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866 Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: National Park Service
Date: 1966
This series of photographs represent different views of the archeological dig that was held in 1966 at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays

Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays
Creator: Kansas. Division of Architectural Services
Date: December 3, 1966
These are site plans for the Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays, Hays, Kansas, drawn by Architectural Services Division, Department of Administration, Topeka, Kansas. The site plan was adapted from a plan prepared by Sergeant Ellis, Company A, 18th Infantry, 1889. The plans were drawn as part of a project to recondition existing buildings and the caretaker's facilities. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301

B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1882
This toothbrush was recovered during excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The toothbrush has holes drilled in its head for inserting stiff bristles (often hog bristles). The toothbrush was manufactured for B. Altman and Company, a luxury department store chain founded in New York City in 1865. It measures 6 1/2" long by 5/8" wide. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Banker's Ink Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Banker's Ink Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This clear glass ink bottle once held "BANKERS INK" manufactured in "KANSAS CITY" as is embossed on the side panel. To the embossed panel's left is a sunken panel which most likely once held a paper label. The bottle was recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. The square bottle has an external threaded screw cap finish, making it later than those ink bottle which were closed with a cork. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Blockhouse and guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas

Blockhouse and guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1920
This postcard shows the old blockhouse and old guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866, Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing, the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Blockhouse, Fort Hays, Kansas

Blockhouse, Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Van Vliet
Date: 1873
This is a photograph of the blockhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas.


Bone Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Bone Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1882
These five buttons were recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. All six buttons are bone four hole sew through buttons, likely made with a lathe. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This clear glass bottle has a flared finish on an angled neck. The small bottle, just 2 inches high, was mouth-blown. It was recovered during excavations in 1966 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971


Brass Belt Buckle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Brass Belt Buckle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This center bar belt buckle was recovered during excavations at historic Fort Hays, in Ellis County, by Kansas Historical Society archeologists in 1966. Formerly the buckle was shiny brass, as is shown by the back, but at some point the prong was painted pink. The buckle measures 1 3/4" by 1 7/16". Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Brooch from 14EL430

Brooch from 14EL430
Date: 1869-1870
This delicate brass brooch was made in a filigree-like floral pattern with a possible silver center. The brooch was collected at a site that may be the location of a camp used by General George A. Custer and the Seventh Calvary. The site is near Fort Hays in Ellis County. Elizabeth Bacon Custer joined her husband, General George Custer, whenever possible at the 7th Cavalry camps. Perhaps this brooch belonged to her? Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
These three buttons are just a few examples of the many buttons collected during excavation in 1966 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at historic Fort Hays. On the far left is a gilt button front. In the center is a fast deteriorating composite button made of glass, brass and ferrous materials with a red enamel flower under the glass. On the right is a brass button with a fragment of enamel decoration still present. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.