Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Franklin, Crawford County, Kansas Franklin, Crawford County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 609,363
Bookbag items: 36,934
Registered users: 11,186

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 22

Category Filters

Military - Facilities - Forts - Fort Harker

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 22 of 22 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


A. Roemigk to George W. Martin

A. Roemigk to George W. Martin
Creator: Roenigk, Adolph, 1847-1938
Date: July 18, 1904
A letter from Adolph Roenigk of Lincoln, Kansas, to George W. Martin, Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, Kansas. Roenigk recounts hearing from a Mr. Ferdinand Erhardt, of an Indian battle site in Lincoln County.


A memory of old Fort Harker

A memory of old Fort Harker
Creator: The Club Member
Date: February 1908
This reminiscence by Mrs. Henry Inman, published in The Club Member, describes her experiences as a Kansas pioneer. She moved to Fort Harker in January 1868 after a difficult journey in severe winter weather. She details various aspects of frontier life, including the U.S. military's conflicts with Native Americans and the daily struggle for survival. She also mentions how she met "Mother" Bickerdyke, and that her husband served in the Seventh Cavalry under General George Armstrong Custer.


Buttons from a Child's Treasure Trove, 14EW310

Buttons from a Child's Treasure Trove, 14EW310
Date: 1930-1959
Shown are five of the 83 artifacts stored in a jar that was recovered during the Kansas Archeology Training Program excavation in 1996 at Fort Harker in Kanopolis, Kansas. The artifacts were discovered in a broken mustard jar, shown in the two slides, and may well represent a child's treasure, buried and forgotten sometime between the 1930s and the 1950s. Shown are four of the six buttons that were found: a lozenge-shaped shank button, two white plastic buttons now stained red/pink and a black and gold glass button. Slight traces of the silver coating on the belt buckle remain.


Camp at Fort Harker in Ellsworth County, Kansas

Camp at Fort Harker in Ellsworth County, Kansas
Creator: Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882
Date: 1867
This photograph shows a camp at Fort Harker in Ellsworth County, Kansas. The fort was located in present day Kanopolis, Kansas. The image is from Alexander Gardner's series, Across the Continent on the Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division.


Flatware from Fort Harker, 14EW310

Flatware from Fort Harker, 14EW310
Date: 1867-1872
All three pieces of flatware shown here were recovered during the 1996 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school during a metal detection survey at Fort Harker in Ellsworth County. The spoon has the words "SENATE SILVERPLATE" on the back, indicating it was manufactured by Oneida. The pattern on the front of the spoon's handle matches the 'Jean' pattern which was made in 1932, post dating the fort's occupation by 60 years. There are no marks on the knife or the fork. Fort Harker was located adjacent to what was to become the town of Kanopolis in Ellsworth County.


Fort Harker, Kansas

Fort Harker, Kansas
Creator: Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882
Date: 1867
This stereograph shows U.S. Army troops on the grounds of Fort Harker, Kansas. The photo was taken 500 miles west of St. Louis, Missouri, in present day Kanopolis, Kansas. It is from Alexander Gardner's series, Across the Continent on the Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division.


Fort Harker, Kansas, 218 miles west of Missouri River

Fort Harker, Kansas, 218 miles west of Missouri River
Creator: Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882
Date: 1867
This is a photo showing U. S. Army troops on the grounds of Fort Harker, Kansas. Fort Harker (originally called Fort Ellsworth) was established in 1864 in order to provide protection for the Kansas Stage Line and military wagon trains transporting goods along the Smoky Hill Trail and the Fort Riley Road. The fort closed in 1872 and was located in present day Kanopolis, Kansas. It is from Alexander Gardner's series, Across the Continent on the Kansas Pacific Railroad.


General Order No. 1, 18th Kansas Cavalry

General Order No. 1, 18th Kansas Cavalry
Creator: Moore, Horace L. (Horace Ladd), 1837-1914
Date: July 17, 1867
This order for the 18th Kansas Cavalry, located at Fort Harker, regulates the maintenance of cavalry horses. Fort Harker was established to provide protection for the Kansas Stage Line and the military supply trains traveling the Smoky Hill Trail and the Fort Riley Road. As stated in the order, these regulations are essential because "the efficiency of every cavalry command depends much upon the condition of its horses."


James Butler Hickok at Fort Harker, Kansas

James Butler Hickok at Fort Harker, Kansas
Creator: Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882
Date: 1867
This photograph shows James Butler Hickok, at far left, with a group of men at Fort Harker, Kansas. Fort Harker was located in present day Kanopolis, Kansas.


Kansas : early routes, old trails, historic sites, landmarks, etc.

Kansas : early routes, old trails, historic sites, landmarks, etc.
Creator: Root, George A. (George Allen), 1867-1949
Date: 1939 December
This map, created by George Allen Root and later reproduced by the Kansas Turnpike Authority, depicts trails, landmarks, and historic sites in the state of Kansas. The original map was compiled by George Allen Root and delineated by W. M. Hutchinson from information obtained from the Kansas State Historical Society.


Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at  Fort Harker

Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at Fort Harker
Creator: Dean, Virgil W
Date: 1996
Here are five photographs of Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at Fort Harker 14EW310.


Map of Kansas, with parts of neighboring states and territories

Map of Kansas, with parts of neighboring states and territories
Creator: Hunnius, Ado, 1842-1923
Date: 1870
This map was drawn by Ado Hunnius at the request of Major General J. M. Schofield. It was compiled under the direction of 1st Lieutenant Henry Jackson of the 7th U.S. Cavalry in March 1870. It includes the location of forts in Kansas, southern Nebraska, eastern Colorado, and northern portions of Indian Territory (Oklahoma), as well as noting natural features (rivers, hills, etc.), trails, and Indian reservations.


Pins from a Child's Treasure Trove, 14EW310

Pins from a Child's Treasure Trove, 14EW310
Date: 1930-1959
Shown are three of the 83 artifacts stored in a jar that was recovered during the Kansas Archeology Training Program field school excavation in 1996 at Fort Harker in Kanopolis, Kansas. The artifacts were discovered in a broken mustard jar, shown in the two slides, and may well represent a child's treasure, buried and forgotten sometime between the 1930s and the 1950s. These three stamped iron pins all had spring loaded pin backs. The oval pin with a picture of a skeleton key has the words "KEY COMMITTEE" printed on it. The other pins are a brass or bronze pin with an etched crisscross pattern and a rusty pin that may have once been white or silver colored.


Primer Pin for Field Artillery from Fort Harker, 14EW310

Primer Pin for Field Artillery from Fort Harker, 14EW310
Date: 1867-1872
This primer pin for field artillery was recovered from Fort Harker during the 1996 Kansas Archeology Training Program. It was excavated during the metal detector survey conducted there. Fort Harker was located adjacent to what was to become the town of Kanopolis in Ellsworth County.


Quartermaster's clerks and office at Fort Harker, Kansas

Quartermaster's clerks and office at Fort Harker, Kansas
Date: May 1868
This is a photograph showing quartermaster's clerks and office at Fort Harker, Kansas. People in the photograph are identified.


Reminiscence of the early days told by Ferdinand Erhardt of Lincoln, Kansas

Reminiscence of the early days told by Ferdinand Erhardt of Lincoln, Kansas
Creator: Roenigk, Adolph, 1847-1938
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
A reminiscence of Ferdinand Erhardt. Erhardt recounts his time working for the military, which involved lending his cattle to them for the movement of military supplies. He also tells of fights between the military and Indians, his nearness to Quantrill's Raid on Lawrence, Kansas, hunting for buffalo, and in contrast, some light-hearted moments he experienced.


Table of Distances Between Fort Harker, Kansas, and Denver City, Colorado Territory

Table of Distances Between Fort Harker, Kansas, and Denver City, Colorado Territory
Date: Between 1861 and 1876
This undated table lists the distances, in both miles and yards, between key stations on the route from Fort Harker, Kansas, to Denver, Colorado Territory. Fort Harker was located in present day Kanopolis, Kansas. It also lists additional information in the right column, such as whether each branch of the route had an accessible (and healthy) water supply.


The dawn of civilization

The dawn of civilization
Creator: Roenigk, Adolph, 1847-1938
Date: 1913
An account by Adolph Roenigk of Lincoln County, and his time in Kansas, starting in the summer of 1868. Roenigk recounts working for the military at Fort Harker, Indian depredations and attacks on Indians, of which he includes an account of the "Mulberry scrap." He also writes of the lawlessness and subsequent swift justice that took place during settlement of the area.


Thimble from Fort Harker, 14EW310

Thimble from Fort Harker, 14EW310
Date: 1867-1872
This thimble was recovered from Fort Harker during the 1996 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. Thimbles were worn to protect the finger and to push the needle through material while sewing. The thimble was excavated in the metal detector survey that was conducted at the Post Headquarters and Officer's Quarters. Fort Harker was located adjacent to what was to become the town of Kanopolis in Ellsworth County.


Toys from a Child's Treasure Trove, 14EW310

Toys from a Child's Treasure Trove, 14EW310
Date: 1930-1959
Shown are 13 of the 83 artifacts stored in a jar that was recovered during the Kansas Archeology Training Program excavation in 1996 at Fort Harker in Kanopolis, Kansas. The artifacts were discovered in a broken mustard jar, shown in the two slides, and may well represent a child's treasure, buried and forgotten sometime between the 1930s and the 1950s. Shown here a rust covered tin whistle, two green and white swirl marbles, a green and orange swirl marble, a white marble, an iron jack or jax and a small spinning top made if iron with a red wooded spindle and "Derby Vitalized Products" printed across the top. Also include in the trove were two dolls: a porcelain doll head with black eyes and eye brows and a blue headband and a complete Frozen Charlotte doll marked with the "JAPAN" on back. The Frozen Charlotte doll takes its name from an American folk ballad telling of a young Miss Charlotte's vanity over her party dress causing her to refuse a cloak and resulting in her freezing to death on the carriage ride to the party.


Trestle bridge near Fort Harker, Kansas. 500 miles west of St. Louis Mo.

Trestle bridge near Fort Harker, Kansas. 500 miles west of St. Louis Mo.
Creator: Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882
Date: 1867
This is a stereograph showing a train on a railroad trestle bridge near Fort Harker, Kansas. The photo was taken 500 miles west of St. Louis, Missouri, near present day Kanopolis, Kansas. It is from Alexander Gardner's series, Across the Continent on the Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division.


View at Fort Harker, Kansas

View at Fort Harker, Kansas
Creator: Gardner, Alexander, 1821-1882
Date: 1867
This is a stereograph showing railroad cars, tracks and a building at Fort Harker, Kansas. The photo was taken 503 miles west of St. Louis Missouri in what is now Kanopolis, Kansas. It is from Alexander Gardner's series, Across the Continent on the Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division.


Showing 1 - 22

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.