Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

11,500 BCE - 1 CE (1)
1800-1819 (5)
1820s (1)
1830s (5)
1840s (7)
1850s (7)
1854-1860 (20)
1861-1869 (19)
1870s (25)
1880s (24)
1890s (43)
1900s (35)
1910s (29)
1920s (50)
1930s (37)
1940s (37)
1950s (53)
1960s (21)
1970s (8)
1980s (3)
1990s (3)
2000s (2)
2010s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Thelma Negley interview, WWII oral history, Syracuse, Kansas Thelma Negley interview, WWII oral history, Syracuse, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 730,632
Bookbag items: 37,731
Registered users: 11,555

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 361

Category Filters

Places - Cities and towns - Council Grove

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 361 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1844
This quarter was minted in 1844 in New Orleans. It was recovered from the site of the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program, the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. It shows a seated Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1876
The 1876 penny was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The penny, sometimes called an Indian Head cent or Indian Head penny shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.


Act establishing commission for treaties with Osage Indians a creation of trail

Act establishing commission for treaties with Osage Indians a creation of trail
Date: March 3, 1825
This act was written establishing a commission to make treaties with the Osage Indians to create the Santa Fe Trail and treaties with the Osage tribes.


A. Cutler residence in Council, Grove, Kansas

A. Cutler residence in Council, Grove, Kansas
Creator: Anderson, Walt
Date: December 09, 1897
This photograph shows the Cutlers standing on the back porch of their home in Council Grove, Kansas.


Advertisement for Bert Grauel Chevrolet in Council Grove, Kansas

Advertisement for Bert Grauel Chevrolet in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
This is an advertisement for Bert Grauel Chevrolet in Council Grove, Kansas.


Advertisement for The Leader in Council Grove, Kansas

Advertisement for The Leader in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Oct. 12, 1904
This is a newspaper advertisement for The Leader, a men's clothing store in Council Grove, Kansas. The store was owned by G. S. Peterson and Henry A. White.


Aerial view of the Neosho River in Council Grove, Kansas

Aerial view of the Neosho River in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1956
This photograph shows a view from above of the Neosho River passing through Council Grove.


Aerial views of the Council Grove Dam and Reservoir

Aerial views of the Council Grove Dam and Reservoir
Creator: United States. Army. Corps of Engineers.
Date: Spring 1966
Two photographs show the Council Grove Dam and Reservoir from the air


Alf M. Landon for Governor

Alf M. Landon for Governor
Date: 1932
This is a campaign poster for Alf M. Landon running for Kansas governor. Landon served as the 26th Governor of Kansas, from January 9, 1933 to January 11, 1937.


Alta Vista Cornet Band in Council Grove, Kansas

Alta Vista Cornet Band in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: September 29, 1899
A photograph of the Alta Vista Cornet Band in Council Grove, Kansas. People in the photograph are: standing (left to right) Martin Biglin, Gus Webber, George Turney, Bret Hull, Will Karnicky, Hala Bond-Baugh, Charles Chitty, Rachel Thomas, Robert Webber, Min Biglin-Jacobs, Ralph Hull, Milt Bond, Paul Johnson, Prof. Hull; and sitting (left to right) Union Thomas, Pearl Thomas, John Wild, Andrew Turney, Ottis Turney, and Herman Webber.


A.M. Coville to George W. Martin

A.M. Coville to George W. Martin
Creator: Coville, A.M.
Date: March 27, 1909
In this letter to Kansas State Historical Society Secretary Geroge W. Martin, A.M. Coville relates his knowledge of the Kaw Indian White Plume. Coville explains that when he first met White Plume in 1875 he "claimed to be over 90 years old, and he certainly looked to be 100. His hair was white his face wrinkled and features shrunken." Coville also mentions that White Plume had survived an attack with the "Plains Indians" in which he had been scalped, surviving only by being rescued by his tribesmen.


Anna Gibbs Centennial Scrapbook

Anna Gibbs Centennial Scrapbook
Date: 1921
This scrapbook was compiled representing the 1921 Centennial Celebration of the opening of the Santa Fe Trail in 1821. Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


An original "Council Grove" tree, Council Grove, Kansas

An original "Council Grove" tree, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1930
A photograph of one of the original trees of Council Grove, Kansas. At the time the photograph was taken, it was estimated to be 250 years old. The adjacent stone building was a small brewery.


Bird's eye view of Council Grove, Kansas

Bird's eye view of Council Grove, Kansas
Creator: Anderson, Walt
Date: February 25, 1898
This photograph shows a view of Council Grove looking east from the hill "near stand pipe." The waterworks plant is visible in the distance.


Bird's Eye view of Council Grove, Kansas

Bird's Eye view of Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1873
A bird's eye view of Council Grove in 1873. Locations of note shown are the grade school, primary school, courthouse, Congregational Church, Methodist Church, rail road depot, Maxey House, flouring mill, Kaw Indian Mission, and the Old Indian Mission. There are also additional handwritten locations which include C. H. Strieby's Shop, C. S. House, S. M. Shop, Call's House, Clute's House, A. M. Wrights House, McNay's House, Dr. Woodruff's House, and the City Jail. Included with the map is a typed description of visible buildings and landmarks.


Bottle from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Bottle from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1915-1930
This bottle was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. The two clear glass fragments were refit in the Archeology Lab at the Kansas Historical Society. The bottle has an English finish and on the bottom a "N" within a square. This is the bottle maker's mark for the O'bear-Nestor Glass Company of East St. Louis, Illinois. The bottle would have been closed with a cork. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Bottle from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Bottle from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: Unknown
This complete aqua bottle may have once held medicine, either prescribed or patented. It was recovered during the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. Time and oxidation have created an interesting white swirling pattern on the surface of the bottle. There was no bottle maker's mark on the bottom to aid in dating the bottle. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1834-1843
This brass 4-hole sew through button was recovered at the Kaw Mission during the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. It was made by the Benedict & Burnham Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. The company produced brass buttons from 1834-1843. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Building the Neosho River dam, Council Grove, Kansas

Building the Neosho River dam, Council Grove, Kansas
Creator: Anderson, Walt
Date: February 25, 1898
In this photograph, men are building the Neosho River dam in Council Grove, Kansas. Horses pulling wagons and a man in a buggy are also visible.


Button Blank from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Button Blank from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1857-1945
This small wooden button blank would have been used to create shell buttons, most likely for use on infant's clothing. It was recovered during the excavations at the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. Shell buttons were most popular from the late 1800s until World War II, when plastic buttons began to dominate the market. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Buttons from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Buttons from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: Unknown
These five buttons are among the many that were recovered from the excavations at the Last Chance Store in Council Grove during the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program. Descriptions for the buttons are from left to right: a handmade wooden five-hole button with offset holes, it may have been painted; a very small (ligne 14) shell button with a sunburst or floral cut pattern; a metal loop button with a floral pattern; a china red and white calico four hole button decorated in a triad design; and a china blue and white four hole button decorated in a zig-zag design. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Buttons from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Buttons from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1857-1971
These six buttons are among the many that were recovered from the excavations at the Last Chance Store in Council Grove during the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program. The two buttons on the left are glass calico buttons showing two different patterns. Next to the calico buttons is a wooden four hole button and a glass two hole button. On the right are two black glass buttons, one with either a "5" or an "S" on the front and the other decorated in facets.


Button with an Oriental Theme from the Kaw Mission Site, 14MO368

Button with an Oriental Theme from the Kaw Mission Site, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1951
This unusual black button was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. Closer examination revealed that the button was etched with an Oriental theme with a figure in an Asian rice hat next to lettering, a leaf and a large flower. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and in 1971 it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Cabin on Kaw Mission grounds, Council Grove, Kansas

Cabin on Kaw Mission grounds, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1920
A photograph of a cabin on the Kaw Mission grounds in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Campaigning in the Army of the Frontier

Campaigning in the Army of the Frontier
Creator: Greene, A.R.
Date: 1861-1865
This item, written Albert R. Greene in the years after the Civil War, describes his experiences campaigning with the Army of the Frontier. A member of Company A, 9th Kansas, Cavalry, Greene joined the U.S. Army just over a year after the Civil War began. His recollections describe a number of things, including life in the Army, the geography of Kansas, interactions with Native Americans, and wartime combat.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.