Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1870s (9)
1880s (23)
1890s (17)
1900s (28)
1910s (14)
1920s (7)
1930s (13)
1940s (4)
1950s (1)
1960s (6)
1970s (1)
1980s (9)
1990s (9)
2000s (7)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Isadore Bowman Douglass Isadore Bowman Douglass

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 604,080
Bookbag items: 36,393
Registered users: 11,076

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 154

Category Filters

Places - Counties - Elk

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 154 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Aaron Zadik and Daul Mans, prisoners 9196 and 8443

Aaron Zadik and Daul Mans, prisoners 9196 and 8443
Creator: Kansas State Penitentiary
Date: February 17, 1901
This photograph shows inmates, Aaron Zadik, prisoner #9196 and Daul Mans, prisoner #8443. Aaron Zadik was received at the Kansas State Penitentiary on January 1, 1900 from Oklahoma for larceny and escaping prison. Inmate Daul Mans was received at the penitentiary on February 10, 1898 from Elk County, Kansas for rape.


Alternately Beveled Knife from 14EK308

Alternately Beveled Knife from 14EK308
Date: 1-1000 CE
This alternately beveled knife was recovered from the surface of an Early Ceramic period archeological site in Elk County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1972. Archeologists believe that knives shaped like this would have been used for bison butchering. Repeated sharpening on alternate sides created bevels. Knives with the general diamond shape are also sometimes called Harahey knives.


Alternately Beveled Knives from 14EK304

Alternately Beveled Knives from 14EK304
Date: Unknown
These three alternately beveled knife fragments were collected from a multicomponent (multiple occupations) camp site in Elk County and, in 1975, donated to the Kansas Historical Society. All three artifacts were manufactured on Permian chert. The pinkish color of one indicates that it had been heat treated to improve knapping quality of the chert. Repeated sharpening on the knives alternate sides created the bevels.


Alternately Beveled Knives from 14EK318

Alternately Beveled Knives from 14EK318
Date: 1-1500 CE
These three alternately beveled knife fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Elk County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1974 and 1975. Knives with a general diamond shape, as is the white fragment, are sometimes called Harahey knives. Archeologists believe that a knife shaped like this would have been used for bison butchering. The other two knife fragments are alternately beveled on two sides. The pinkish color of one knife fragment is a result of the flintknapper heat treating the material to improve the Permian chert's knapping qualities. The remaining alternately beveled knife fragment was manufactured on Smoky Hill silicified chalk.


Alternately Beveled Knives from Elk County

Alternately Beveled Knives from Elk County
Date: Unknown
These alternately beveled knives were collected in Elk County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1959. Both knives were manufactured on Permian chert. The knives gets their pinkish color as a result of the flintknapper heat treating the material to improve the chert's knapping qualities. Repeated sharpening on alternate sides created bevels.


Asa Thompson to Governor John St. John

Asa Thompson to Governor John St. John
Creator: Thompson, Asa
Date: June 20, 1880
A letter from Asa Thompson acknowledging that E.B. Reynolds and General Rice will give a "Grand Temperance Shaking Up" to the people on Juy11th, and invites Kansas Governor St. John to also speak at the occasion.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Moline, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Moline, Kansas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: May 1931
This black and white photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot at Moline, Kansas. Several carts are also visible. The depot was built in 1887.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Elk Falls, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Elk Falls, Kansas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: 1931
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Elk Falls, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure, built in 1879, with batten siding was part of the Southern Kansas Division, Third District. The depot was moved to 10th and Montgomery Street in Elk Falls, Kansas and restored into the Sherman House bed and breakfast.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Grenola, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Grenola, Kansas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: May 1931
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Grenola, Kansas.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Grenola, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Grenola, Kansas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: May 1931
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, built in 1879, in Grenola, Kansas.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Howard, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Howard, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: July 17, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Howard, Kansas. The depot was on the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Howard District, mile post 75.5.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Longton, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Longton, Kansas
Date: May 1931
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Longton, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure with batten siding was part of the Southern Kansas Division, Third District. The depot is no longer standing.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Moline, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Moline, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: July 17, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot at Moline, Kansas. The wooden structure with batten siding was built in 1887. It was part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Howard District at milepost 83.6 and the Oklahoma Division, Fourth District at milepost 202.4. The depot was moved to Dexter, Kansas and is in private use.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Oak Valley, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Oak Valley, Kansas
Date: May 1931
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot at Oak Valley, Kansas. The wooden structure, built in 1879, was part of the Southern Kansas Division, Third District. The depot no longer stands.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Elk Falls, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Elk Falls, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: July 17, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board in Elk Falls, Kansas. The sign and tracks were once part of the Eastern Lines, Oklahoma Division, 4th District at milepost 195.7.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Flat, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Flat, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: July 17, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board in Flat, Kansas. The sign and tracks were once part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Howard District at milepost 68.6.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Upola, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Upola, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: July 17, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board in Upola, Kansas. The sign and the tracks were once part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Fredonia District at milepost 165.3.


Atlas of Elk County

Atlas of Elk County
Creator: Davy Map and Atlas Co.
Date: ca. 1885
This atlas shows maps of each township with the names of landowners. It has a patron's directory and plats of towns as of the year of publication. The Kansas map on page 42 does not appear original to the book. It can be dated to 1907 and after.


Bannerstone from Elk County

Bannerstone from Elk County
Date: 3000-2000 BCE
Bannerstones are weight added to the atlatl shaft to increase the propulsion of the dart point thrown by the atlatl (spearthrower). They are typical of the Late Archaic period and are often made of banded slate. This bannerstone was made in a geniculate style, meaning it is bent as a sharp angle. It has an oval hole for attaching the bannerstone to the atlatl shaft. The bannerstone was found in Elk County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1959.


Bifaces

Bifaces
Date: Unknown
These three bifaces represent just a few of the many that were collected from Elk County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1959. All three are made of Permian chert. The pink color of two of the bifaces is the result of having been heat-treated prior to their completion in order to make a better knappable chert. Bifaces like these could have been used as a cutting tool or, with more work, turned into a specific tool.


Bifaces from 14EK311

Bifaces from 14EK311
Date: 1-1000 CE
These four bifaces were among the many that were collection from an Early Ceramic period site in Elk County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1972 and 1975. All four were made of Permian chert. The pink color is the result of having been heat-treated, prior to their completion, in order to make a better knappable chert. Bifaces like these could have been used as a cutting tool or, with more work, turned into a specific tool.


Bowling alley, Howard, Kansas

Bowling alley, Howard, Kansas
Date: Between 1910 and 1920
An interior view of an early bowling alley owned by L.F. Roberts in Howard, Kansas. Three bowling lanes are pictured. Partially visible is a sign with rules governing the behavior of patrons, advising them to "keep back of foul line." Other rules are not completely visible, but appear to warn against gambling and excessive noise.


Bowling alley, Howard, Kansas

Bowling alley, Howard, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
The first bowling alley in Howard is pictured in this photograph. Two bowling lanes are pictured, with two men in the shadows behind the pins in each lane. The décor suggests a patriotic theme, with the display of four flags and bunting with a star design. Three handwritten signs are posted prominently: "No Swearing or Betting"; "Ladies are Welcome at Anytime"; and, "No Gentleman Will Spit on the Floor." As noted in the caption inscribed on the photo, the business was owned by L.F. Roberts.


Burchfield block, Howard, Kansas

Burchfield block, Howard, Kansas
Date: Between 1870 and October 24, 1906
View of the Burchfield Block in Howard, Kansas, where the first Elk County courthouse was located.


Busby School

Busby School
Date: Between 1900 and 1943
This is a view of Busby School in Elk County, Kansas.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.