Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1854-1860 (3)
1861-1869 (59)
1870s (66)
1880s (55)
1890s (48)
1900s (57)
1910s (34)
1920s (17)
1930s (16)
1940s (14)
1950s (23)
1960s (23)
1970s (10)
1980s (16)
1990s (16)
2000s (59)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Edward August Sauzek, World War I soldier Edward August Sauzek, World War I soldier

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 604,063
Bookbag items: 36,393
Registered users: 11,072

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 407

Category Filters

Places - Counties - Ellis

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 407 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas

1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: June 08, 1867
This photograph represents buildings that survived the flooding on June 8, 1867 in Fort Hays, Kansas. At the time of the flood, the buildings standing in the photograph had been built approximately five months prior. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1895 fire, Hays, Kansas

1895 fire, Hays, Kansas
Date: March 30, 1895
This photograph represents the aftermath that burned fifty-five buildings in Hays, Kansas on March 30, 1895.


18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1886
This is a view of the members of the 18th Infantry Band at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


5th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

5th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1869
This photograph shows the 5th Infantry Band parading on the streets of Fort Hays, Kansas, in front of the officer's quarters. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


7th Cavalry Camp, Fort Hays, Kansas

7th Cavalry Camp, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1867
These two photographs represent different views of the 7th Cavalry Camp near Fort Hays, Kansas. In one photograph, men can be sitting in a field outside tents. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


7th Cavalry parade, Fort Hays, Kansas

7th Cavalry parade, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1867
This photograph represents an evening parade by the 7th Cavalry near Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Aaron A. Platner, World War I soldier

Aaron A. Platner, World War I soldier
Date: 1918-1921
Around 1919, the Kansas State Historical Society and the American Legion solicited biographical information from returning veterans (primarily members of the 35th and 89th infantry divisions) and the families of those who died in service, notably from the Gold Star Mothers. Each veteran or family member was asked to provide letters, photographs, a biography, and military records. This file contains information on Aaron A. Platner. Aaron died in late 1918 from wounds he received in the Battle of the Argonne.


Advertisement for Nicodemus, Kansas

Advertisement for Nicodemus, Kansas
Creator: Hill, W. R.
Date: April 16, 1877
This advertisement for Nicodemus, Graham County, Kansas, describes the location of the colony near the Solomon River and the town company's plans to build more houses, businesses, and other public buildings. The trustees were quick to note that they will not build any saloon or "houses of ill fame" during the first five years of settlement. Nicodemus was settled in 1878 and is the oldest surviving all-black settlement west of the Mississippi River founded by former slaves. Today the town is a National Parks Service site and is open to visitors.


Aerial spray equipment

Aerial spray equipment
Date: February 20, 1949
This black and white image from the Topeka Daily Capital shows the aerial spray equipment operated by Don Pratt from Hays, Kansas.


Aerial view, Hays, Kansas

Aerial view, Hays, Kansas
Creator: Historic Preservation Services
Date: 1978
This aerial photograph represents the city of Hays, Kansas from 1978.


Aerial view of Ellis County, Kansas

Aerial view of Ellis County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas Department of Transportation
Date: October 01, 1951
This aerial photograph, taken by the Kansas Department of Transportation, shows U. S. Highway 40 along the town of Hays in Ellis County, Kansas.


Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: June 1992
Several aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas

Aerial views of Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: June 1992
Four aerial photographs of Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Albert Dewey Baughman, World War I soldier

Albert Dewey Baughman, World War I soldier
Date: 1918
Around 1919, the Kansas State Historical Society and the American Legion solicited biographical information from returning veterans (primarily members of the 35th and 89th infantry divisions) and the families of those who died in service, notably from the Gold Star Mothers. Each veteran or family member was asked to provide letters, photographs, a biography, and military records. This file contains information on Albert Dewey Baughman, 27th Aero Squadron. Baughman died in France on August 29, 1918 from injuries he sustained in a motorcycle accident.


Alvin Ballard and Peter Geotz, prisoners 8512 and 9334

Alvin Ballard and Peter Geotz, prisoners 8512 and 9334
Creator: Kansas State Penitentiary
Date: February 4, 1901
This photograph shows inmates, Alvin Ballard, prisoner #8512 and Peter Geotz, prisoner #9334. Alvin Ballard was received at the Kansas State Penitentiary on March 27, 1898 from Sedgwick County, Kansas for burglary and larceny. Inmate Peter Geotz was received on April 28, 1900 from Ellis County, Kansas for murder. Varient spelling of his surname includes Goetz.


Amelia Earhart sculpture

Amelia Earhart sculpture
Creator: Felten, Peter F., Jr.
Date: between 1979 and 1981
Small plaster bust of aviatrix Amelia Earhart by Kansas artist Peter "Fritz" Felten, Jr. The model is associated with the 1981 installation of statues in the Kansas statehouse rotunda. A special committee selected Felten from Hays, Kansas, as the sculptor of statues depicting four notable Kansans--Arthur Capper, Earhart, Dwight Eisenhower, and William Allen White. Felten created this small model and three others to demonstrate his design concept. Originally from Atchison, Kansas, Amelia Earhart was a noted American aviation pioneer, author, and celebrity who vanished in a 1937 flight around the world.


Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig, Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: National Park Service
Date: 1966
This series of photographs represent different views of the archeological dig that was held in 1966 at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas

Archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1966
Five photographs showing an archeological dig at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866 Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays

Architectural plans for Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays
Creator: Kansas. Division of Architectural Services
Date: December 3, 1966
These are site plans for the Frontier Historical Park and Old Fort Hays, Hays, Kansas, drawn by Architectural Services Division, Department of Administration, Topeka, Kansas. The site plan was adapted from a plan prepared by Sergeant Ellis, Company A, 18th Infantry, 1889. The plans were drawn as part of a project to recondition existing buildings and the caretaker's facilities. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Band, Hays, Kansas

Band, Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This is a photograph of the uniformed members of a band, shown posed on the porch of a home in Hays, Kansas.


Banker's Ink Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Banker's Ink Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This clear glass ink bottle once held "BANKERS INK" manufactured in "KANSAS CITY" as is embossed on the side panel. To the embossed panel's left is a sunken panel which most likely once held a paper label. The bottle was recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. The square bottle has an external threaded screw cap finish, making it later than those ink bottle which were closed with a cork. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Better than ever. The fourth annual fair of the Western Kansas Agricultural Fair Association

Better than ever. The fourth annual fair of the Western Kansas Agricultural Fair Association
Date: October 05, 1886-October 08, 1886
Numerous activities are featured on this poster that advertises the Hays City fair. Crowds of people are shown as well as demonstrations and local farmer's livestock. A list of entertainment includes music, foot and bicycle races, horse races, and livestock displays.


Big Creek in Ellis, Kansas

Big Creek in Ellis, Kansas
Creator: Bowers, John
Date: Between 1907 and 1910
A postcard showing a bridge over Big Creek at Ellis, Kansas.


Blockhouse, Fort Hays, Kansas

Blockhouse, Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Van Vliet
Date: 1873
This is a photograph of the blockhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas.


Blockhouse and guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas

Blockhouse and guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1920
This postcard shows the old blockhouse and old guardhouse at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866, Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing, the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.