Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

11,500 BCE - 1 CE (6)
1300-1399 (1)
1400-1499 (2)
1500-1599 (1)
1600-1699 (1)
1700-1799 (1)
1800-1819 (1)
1854-1860 (12)
1861-1869 (2)
1870s (11)
1880s (18)
1890s (21)
1900s (40)
1910s (23)
1920s (13)
1930s (8)
1940s (5)
1950s (3)
1960s (11)
1970s (1)
1980s (11)
1990s (6)
2000s (7)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Several views of the exteriors of the buildings at the Sod House Museum, Colby, Thomas County, Kansas Several views of the exteriors of the buildings at the Sod House Museum, Colby, Thomas County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 629,935
Bookbag items: 37,182
Registered users: 11,247

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 168

Category Filters

Places - Counties - Greenwood

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 168 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


A. Venard to Thaddeus Hyatt

A. Venard to Thaddeus Hyatt
Creator: Venard, A.
Date: October 3, 1860
This letter is from A. Venard, a medical doctor from Pleasant Grove, Kansas Territory, who wrote to Thaddeus Hyatt, president of the National Kansas Committee. The letter described the sickness and disease that plagued the settlers along the Verdigris River in southeast Kansas. Dr. Venard had worked diligently to aid the settlers, even using funds from his own pocket to purchase medicine, but he requested that the committee give him 100 dollars worth of drugs. Attached to this letter is an itemized list of the drugs he wished purchased with the requested funds.


Abstract of census returns

Abstract of census returns
Creator: Undersigned Citizens of Kansas Territory, John Stroup (first signature),
Date: 1859
This 1859 abstract of census returns shows information at the township level for most Kansas counties. Some counties are listed without data. The census lists the number of voters in three different ways--the number of votes cast June 7, 1859; number of voters on June 7, 1859 who were under 6 month provision; and number of voters under 3 month provision. It also lists the number of inhabitants. The election on June 7, 1859, was to elect delegates to the Wyandotte constitutional convention.


Adze or Axe from the Curry Site, 14GR301

Adze or Axe from the Curry Site, 14GR301
Date: 1200-1400 CE
This chipped stone tool, possibly either an adze or an axe, was most likely used for woodworking. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. The Curry site in Greenwood County was a multicomponent (multiple occupations) site occupied periodically during the Archaic, Early Ceramic and Middle Ceramic Periods.


Allen Easum video interview on experiences in World War II (transcript)

Allen Easum video interview on experiences in World War II (transcript)
Creator: Easum, Allen C., Jr.
Date: September 26, 2007
Allen C. Easum was inducted into the Army (Infantry) in 1945 and served until 1946 in the 40th Infantry Division, 160th Infantry. He was drafted in 1944 and went to bacis train at Fort Robinson, Arkansas. He was sent to Fort Dix, New Jersey, but the war in Europe ended. He was sent to the Philippines and later Korea. Interviewed by Nancy Porter on Sep 26, 2007, Easum talked about military experiences in the Second World War. He was born in Yates Center, Kansas on October 20, 1926. He attended school in Quincy, Kansas, but graduated from Liberty Memorial High School in Lawrence, 1944. After his service, he returned to Lawrence. He worked as a mechanic for Pickens and a Ford dealership before opening his own business A. C. E. Steering and Brakes. He operated that from 1963 through 1993. The 2005 Kansas Legislature passed a bill funding the WWII Veterans Oral History grant program. This transcript is from one of the community institutions receiving grants. The transcript of the interview is presented here; the original video copy of the interview is available through the Watkins Community Museum of History (Lawrence) and through the Kansas State Historical Society.


Archaic Projectile Point from 14GR324

Archaic Projectile Point from 14GR324
Date: 8000 BCE - 1 CE
This Archaic period dart point was recovered from 14GR324, a Native American site in Greenwood County. The pinkish color of the chert is a result of the flintknapper heat treating the material to improve the chert's knapping qualities. Dart points would be mounted to the dart foreshaft, which would in turn be connected to the dart shaft. The assembled dart would then be thrown with an atlatl (spearthrower).


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Madison, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Madison, Kansas
Date: Unknown
These five photographs show groups of people standing in front of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Madison, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure with batten siding and a gable roof was completed in 1879. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Eureka, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Eureka, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: Between 1964 and 1967
This set of photographs show the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Eureka, Kansas. The one-story "prairie and craftsman" style station, designed by ATSF architect E. A. Harrison and chief engineer C.F.W. Felt, features a tile roof with a brick and stucco structure trimmed with decorative wooden corbels. The structure built in 1917 served for a number of years as a hub for transportation until passenger service ended in the mid 1950s. The depot has been refurbished and added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 11, 2013.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Eureka, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Eureka, Kansas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: August 1916
This photograph shows a general view of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Eureka, Kansas. The one-story "prairie and craftsman" style station, designed by ATSF architect E.A. Harrison and chief engineer C.F.W. Felt features a title roof with a brick and stucco structure trimmed with decorative wooden corbels. The structure built in 1917 served for a number of years as a hub for transportation until passenger service ended in the mid 1950s. The depot later refurbished and placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 11, 2013.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Hamilton, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Hamilton, Kansas
Date: July 04, 1896
This photograph shows a group of people gathered in front of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Hamilton, Kansas for a Fourth of July celebration.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Hamilton, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Hamilton, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: July 14, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Hamilton, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure was part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Howard District along mp32.1.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Madison, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Madison, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: August 17, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Madison, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure completed in 1879 was part of the Eastern, Lines, Eastern Division, Howard District along milepost 19.4. In 1991 the depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Madison, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Madison, Kansas
Creator: Bohi, Charles W., 1940-
Date: Between 1960 and 1969
This photographs shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Madison, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure completed in 1879 was part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Howard District along milepost 19.4. In 1991 the depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Small, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Small, Kansas
Date: July 17, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board at milepost 50.1 in Small, Kansas. The sign is visible to the left-hand side of the tracks, which were part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Howard District.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Utopia, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board, Utopia, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: July 17, 1964
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company sign board in Utopia, Kansas. The sign and tracks were part of Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Howard District at milepost 39.1.


Atlatl Weight from Greenwood County

Atlatl Weight from Greenwood County
Date: Unknown
Atlatl weights are more commonly called boatstones from their resemblance to a boat. They served as a weight to increase the throwing power of an atlatl, a stick with an attachment that was used to throw a dart or spear. This weight was found in Greenwood County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. Note the incised lines on the top and sides of this fragment.


Avis Atkinson and Governor Andrew Schoeppel coresspondence

Avis Atkinson and Governor Andrew Schoeppel coresspondence
Creator: Kansas. Governor (1943-1947 : Schoeppel)
Date: February 12-16, 1943
This correspondence deals with the possibility of moving Japanese Americans to Kansas to serve as laborers during World War II. In the letter to Governor Schoeppel, Avis Atkinson of Fall River, Kansas, urges the Governor to do everything in his power to keep the U.S. government from allowing Japanese Americans to work in Kansas because "Once a Jap Always a Jap." Governor Schoeppel's reply is cordial but reinforces the fact that, if the federal government so desires, he will comply with their wishes and house Japanese Americans and/or Japanese prisoners of war.


Baker's Medicine sales truck, Greenwood County, Kansas

Baker's Medicine sales truck, Greenwood County, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1929
This photograph shows a medical sales truck with a sign reading, "Baker's Medicine, Extracts, and Spices" in Greenwood County, Kansas. Boxes on the truck are labeled, "Baker's Condition Powder." Also visible is a man standing to the left of the truck, a woman seated on the truck's running board, and a girl standing to the right of the truck. An unidentified building is visible in the background.


Bird Bone Beads from the Curry Site, 14GR301

Bird Bone Beads from the Curry Site, 14GR301
Date: 1200-1400 CE
These bird bone beads and others were recovered from the Curry site in Greenwood County, and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. The Curry site was a multicomponent (multiple occupations) site occupied periodically during the Archaic, Early Ceramic and Middle Ceramic Periods. The beads were made from a section of bird bone, as bird bones are mostly hollow. They were scored, then cut or snapped, and finally had their edges smoothed, to form the tubular beads. Incised spirals and rings were added to each bead for decoration.


Birds Eye (view) of Main Street From South, Eureka, Kansas

Birds Eye (view) of Main Street From South, Eureka, Kansas
Date: Between 1905 and 1910
This is a postcard showing Main Street in Eureka, Kansas.


Bison Scapula Hoe from the Curry Site, 14GR301

Bison Scapula Hoe from the Curry Site, 14GR301
Date: 1200-1400 CE
This portion of a bison scapula hoe was recovered from the Curry site and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. The Curry site is a multicomponent (multiple occupations) village in Greenwood County. The scapula was sharpened and attached to a handle and used as a hoe in gardening.


Bisque Doll from 14GR301

Bisque Doll from 14GR301
Date: Unknown
This bisque doll head and body was recovered from the Curry site in Greenwood County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. The Curry site was a multicomponent (multiple occupations) site occupied periodically during the Archaic, Early Ceramic and Middle Ceramic Periods. However, this doll shows that there was also modern material recovered at the site. The doll had jointed arms and legs and may have once had a painted face and hair, though, if so, no trace remains.


Bone Awls from the Curry Site, 14GR301

Bone Awls from the Curry Site, 14GR301
Date: 500 BCE-1500 CE
These two bone awls were found at different times by different people at the Curry Archeological Site in Greenwood County. The longest awl was a donation to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984 by the site's owner and was reconstructed from three pieces. The shorter awl was recovered in two pieces from excavations in 1966. They were used to make holes in soft materials, like hides, and possibly in basket and pottery manufacturing.


Brass Beads from the Curry Site, 14GR301

Brass Beads from the Curry Site, 14GR301
Date: 1200-1600 CE
These 13 brass beads were recovered from the Curry site and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. The Curry site is a multicomponent (multiple occupations) village in Greenwood County. These beads, similar to a Rondelle shape, were likely traded for other goods.


Buttons from the Martindale Cabin, 14GR332

Buttons from the Martindale Cabin, 14GR332
Date: 1857-1930
These six buttons were recovered from the Martindale Cabin in Greenwood County. Shown are china, bone, plastic, and bakelite buttons decorated with faceted surfaces, rays, and in a black calico daisy pattern. The Martindale Cabin was built of stone for William Martindale in 1857 and was occupied by the Martindale family until 1869. Later the cabin was used for both living and storage purposes.


Calf Creek Projectile Point from Greenwood County

Calf Creek Projectile Point from Greenwood County
Date: 4800-4200 BCE
Calf Creek projectile points are defined as having deep parallel-sided basal notches. This one was found in Greenwood County and donated to Kansas Historical Society in 1984. These distinctive dart points are generally found in eastern Kansas and states to the east and south during the late Paleoindian Period.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.