Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

11,500 BCE - 1 CE (2)
1600-1699 (1)
1700-1799 (2)
1800-1820 (3)
1830s (1)
1840s (3)
1854-1860 (32)
1861-1869 (17)
1870s (19)
1880s (32)
1890s (19)
1900s (38)
1910s (24)
1920s (6)
1930s (20)
1940s (11)
1950s (6)
1960s (8)
1970s (2)
1980s (15)
1990s (15)
2000s (43)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Construction of the Tuttle Creek Dam Construction of the Tuttle Creek Dam

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 596,584
Bookbag items: 35,592
Registered users: 10,837

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 321

Category Filters

Places - Counties - Doniphan

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 321 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


3/4 Grooved Axes From Doniphan County

3/4 Grooved Axes From Doniphan County
Date: 7000 BCE-1 CE
These four 3/4 grooved axes were collected from the White Cloud, Kansas area by antiquarian Mark E. Zimmerman (1866-1933), who donated them to the Highland Mission (now called the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission). Traces of the collector's marks (yellow paint) and labeling are faintly visible on some of the axes. While 3/4 grooved axes are frequently recovered from late Archaic sites, they are also found from other time periods. Axes like these are made by pecking a hard stone into a rough shape and then grinding and polishing it into its final state. They get their name from the hafting groove the encircles 3/4 of the axe's body. It is unknown if these four axes were found near each other, but they all are quite similar in size, ranging from 12.8cm - 11.2cm in length, 7.7cm - 6.6cm in width, and 4.5cm - 3.6cm thick.


Address to the Voters of Kansas

Address to the Voters of Kansas
Creator: Pomeroy, S. C. (Samuel Clarke), 1816-1891
Date: September 25, 1867
The numerous authors of this pamphlet (Republicans) support the constitutional amendments to approve voting rights for blacks, for women, and to restrict voting rights to "loyal persons." They offer arguments for their position as well as criticizing the Democratic Party in Kansas for their opposition to these amendments. Forty five men signed the document, which was the result of a meeting in Lawrence. The following signed the document S. C. Pomeroy, Atchison; E. G. Ross, Lawrence; S. J. Crawford, Topeka; N. Green, Manhattan; Chas. Robinson, Lawrence; Geo T. Anthony, Leavenworth; Lewis Bodwell, Topeka; R. B. Taylor, editor Wyandotte Gazette; J. P. Root, Whandotte; James Rogers, Burlingame; S. Weaver, Editor Lecompton New Era; L. R. Elliott, Editor Atchison Daily Free Press; W. A. Starrett, Lawrence; Wm. Larimer, Jr., Leavenworth; John Ritchie, Topeka; John Ekin, Topeka; Sol. Miller, Editor White Cloud Chief; A. H. Foote, Lawrence; C. B. Lines, Wabaunsee; R. G. Elliott, Jefferson county; G. A. Crawford, Bourbon county; John Speer, Kansas Tribune; A. Low, Doniphan; R. W. Jenkins, Pottawatomie county; Ed. Russell, Leavenworth; J. H. Pillsbury, Editor Manhattan Independent; S. D. Houston, Manhattan; W. K. Marshall, Atchison; F. G. Adams, Kennekuk; P. L. Hubbard, Atchison; A. Hunting, Manhattan; J. B. Abbott, De Soto; Joseph Denison, Manhattan; T. H. Baker, Manhattan, H. W. Farnsworth, Topeka; I. H. Smith, Topeka; D. R. Anthony, Leavenworth; G. W. Higginbotham, Manhattan; John Pipher, Manhattan, R. L. Harford, Manhattan; Jas. Humphrey, Manhattan; Wm McKay, Manhattan; R. P. Duvall, Manhattan; Pardee Butler, Pardee; and L. F. Green, Baldwin City. Only the language restricting voting to "loyal" persons was passed in the election on November 5, 1867. Blacks and women were not given voting rights as a result of the 1867 election.


Advertising billboards

Advertising billboards
Creator: Kansas Industrial Development Commission
Date: Between 1947 and 1948
This is a photograph showing billboards advertising for Coca-Cola, the Kansas Industrial Development Commission, and a 1947 Ford from R.G. Larzelere of Troy, Kansas.


Alexander W. Doniphan

Alexander W. Doniphan
Date: Between 1845 and 1847
This portrait engraving of Alexander W. Doniphan was copied from Doniphan's Expedition by John Taylor Hughes. Doniphan was a Colonel of the First regiment Missouri volunteers and a Liberty, Missouri, lawyer. Doniphan County, Kansas, and the town of Doniphan were named for Alexander W. Doniphan.


Alfred Larzelere

Alfred Larzelere
Date: 1854-1860
Alfred Larzelere of Doniphan County was active in free state politics. He served as speaker of the Kansas House in 1859 and as a delegate to the Leavenworth constitutional convention. He was also a member of the Free State Central committee.


Alonzo Berling and William N. Long, prisoners 8700 and 9022

Alonzo Berling and William N. Long, prisoners 8700 and 9022
Creator: Kansas State Penitentiary
Date: January 31, 1901
This photograph shows inmates, Alonzo Berling, prisoner #8700 and William N. Long, prisoner #9022. Alonzo Berling was received at the Kansas State Penitentiary on November 2, 1898 from Oklahoma for burglary. Inmate William N. Long was received at the penitentiary on September 10, 1899 from Doniphan County, Kansas for attempted rape.


Alternately Beveled Knife from the Mallow Site, 14DP1312

Alternately Beveled Knife from the Mallow Site, 14DP1312
Date: Unknown
This alternately beveled knife was collected from an archeological site in Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1925. Knives with the general diamond shape are also sometimes called Harahey knives. Archeologists believe that a knife shaped like this one would have been used for bison butchering.


Ambulance in Elwood, Kansas

Ambulance in Elwood, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1955
This is a photograph showing an ambulance in Elwood, Kansas.


Art Connely Barber Shop

Art Connely Barber Shop
Date: Between 1900 and 1920
This is an interior view of the Art Connely Barber Shop in Highland, Kansas.


Band, White Cloud, Kansas

Band, White Cloud, Kansas
Creator: Cottrell, D.E.
Date: Between 1870 and 1880
This is a view of the members of a band, posed with their instruments, in front of a building in White Cloud, Kansas. The band members are identified as: (back row from left) Mr. McCord, John Butterfield, Warren Austin, Sam Klinefelter, and George Peables; (front row from left) A.L. Ellis, John Klinefelter, John M. Embler, George Bird, John Snively, Ike Sellig, and Charles Chandler.


Beaded Moccasins

Beaded Moccasins
Date: Unknown
These moccasins were originally on display at the Highland Museum (later the Iowa and Sac and Fox Historic Site) in Doniphan County. The rounded toe moccasins have fur lined flaps and hard leather soles. Black cotton bands, stuffed with a red, white and blue printed cotton, trims the sides. The uppers and sides are decorated with a linear motif in red, white and blue beads.


Bellemont, Kansas Territory

Bellemont, Kansas Territory
Creator: Bierstadt Bros.
Date: 1859
This is an 1859 stereopticon view of Bellemont, Doniphan County, Kansas Territory, photographed by the Bierstadt Bros., Photographers, of New Bedford, Massachusetts.


Biggest and best! The Donniphan County Fair Association will hold its tenth annual exhibition

Biggest and best! The Donniphan County Fair Association will hold its tenth annual exhibition
Creator: Weekly Kansas Chief
Date: September 24, 1878-September 27, 1878
Indian war dances, a grand agricultural display, an animal show, and horse races are all advertised on this Doniphan County fair poster, with Thomas Henshall listed as president and T.W. Heatley as secretary for the Doniphan County Fair Association.


Bisque Doll Leg from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bisque Doll Leg from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
Shown is a bisque doll leg from the toes up to the knee. It was found during excavations at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Bone Awl from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Bone Awl from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1800 CE
The wear on the tip of this bone tool suggests it may have been used as an awl in hide work and basketry. It was collected from a cache at the Fanning site in Doniphan County in 1939 and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1981. The Fanning site is a protohistoric period Kansa village.


Bottles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bottles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
Shown are two small bottles that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Both bottles likely once held medicine or pharmaceuticals.


Brick school house, Wathena, Kansas

Brick school house, Wathena, Kansas
Date: Between 1930s and 1950s
This black and white photograph shows the first brick school house used as a colored school in Wathena, Kansas. The one-story structure was built in 1870 by Alfred Larzelere at the cost of $10,000.


Business street, Highland, Kansas

Business street, Highland, Kansas
Creator: National Photo Post Card Company
Date: 1912
This is a postcard view of an unidentified business street, Highland, Kansas. Visible in the postcard is an automobile supply store.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1886
Shown are three of many buttons that were recovered from excavation at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, in Doniphan County. The Mission was built as a boarding school for Iowa and Sac and Fox children and later changed its purpose to an Orphan Indian Institute. Shown are a four hole sew through wooden or bone button with a fifth hole partially drilled in the center. The small shell button is also a four hole sew through, and likely was used for a child's or infant's clothing. The final button shown is a four hole dish china button with a brown asterisk calico pattern.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These five buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are three four-hole sew through buttons, one each of wood, china, and shell. Also shown is a brown china two-hole sew through button and a shell and brass loop or shank style button.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These seven buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are a brass button front with a Greek Key pattern and two shell buttons, one with an inset center and the other a three-hole button in a floral shape. Additionally, there are four china buttons: two four-hole dish buttons (one with traces of purple coloring), a three-hole dish button and a two-hole Prosser button in two shades of brown.


C. D. Harris and George Banks, prisoners 8288 and 9218

C. D. Harris and George Banks, prisoners 8288 and 9218
Creator: Kansas State Penitentiary
Date: February 16, 1901
This photograph shows inmates C. D. Harris, prisoner #8288 and George Banks, prisoner #9218. C.D. Harris was received at the Kansas State Penitentiary on October 17, 1897 from Doniphan County, Kansas for larceny. Inmate George Banks was received at the penitentiary on February 5, 1900 from Cowley County, Kansas for rape.


Case work procedure requirement

Case work procedure requirement
Creator: Stutz, John G
Date: December 28, 1933
This brief letter from John G. Stutz, executive director of the Kansas Emergency Relief Committee (KERC), was addressed to county commissioners, poor commissioners, case supervisors, and county relief committees across the state of Kansas. In the letter, Stutz outlines the essential elements of the relief program, including an admonishment that there were many families in need of relief funds and that the federal government wanted to ensure that adequate relief was distributed. Stutz also points out that these programs were the responsibility of the county commissioners and poor commissioners.


Cedar Creek Site Rim Sherds from The Cedar Creek Site, 14DP1318

Cedar Creek Site Rim Sherds from The Cedar Creek Site, 14DP1318
Date: 2100 BCE-750 CE
Shown are three of many pottery sherds collected from the Cedar Creek site, in Doniphan County. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1925. The Cedar Creek site was a multicomponent site, having both Kansas City Hopewell and Nebraska Aspect/Upper Republican occupations. The site had the remains of at least one house. The rim sherd on the far left is decorated with a cord wrapped stick impressed design with four bosses below. The rim sherd in the center has a crenellated rim and is like pottery of the Late Woodland or post-classic Kansas City Hopewell. The rim sherd on the right has a zoned area of cord marking. All the rim sherds are sand tempered.


Celt from 14DP318

Celt from 14DP318
Date: 1-1000 CE
This celt was found in an Early Ceramic period camp site in Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1925. This woodworking tool would have been manufactured by grinding or pecking it into a general shape followed by polishing. It would have been hafted onto a handle and required periodic resharpening.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.