Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1400-1499 (4)
1854-1860 (4)
1861-1869 (6)
1870s (13)
1880s (24)
1890s (21)
1900s (54)
1910s (48)
1920s (14)
1930s (21)
1940s (6)
1950s (22)
1960s (9)
1970s (4)
1980s (19)
1990s (10)
2000s (5)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Kenneth E. Bartman interview, Kinsley, Kansas Kenneth E. Bartman interview, Kinsley, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 631,040
Bookbag items: 37,183
Registered users: 11,249

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 261

Category Filters

Places - Counties - Ottawa

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 261 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


A.A. Jones' wagon shop, Bennington, Kansas

A.A. Jones' wagon shop, Bennington, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1900
This photograph shows a group of men standing in the showroom of the A.A. Jones' wagon shop in Bennington, Kansas. According to the back of the photograph the business sold Studebaker, Courtland and Bradley Buggies along with water pumps.


Abraders from the Lamar Site, 14OT304

Abraders from the Lamar Site, 14OT304
Date: 1000-1400 CE
These three abraders were excavated in 1935 from the Lamar site in Ottawa County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1971. The Smoky Hill phase occupation site had a single, almost square, house and four cache pits. Archeologists call these groundstone tools as they are shaped by grinding. The sandstone abraders could be used as pairs, one on each side, to smooth a wood shaft.


A dam at Minneapolis, Kansas

A dam at Minneapolis, Kansas
Date: Between 1910 and 1915
A postcard showing a dam on the Solomon River at Minneapolis, Kansas.


Adolph Roenigk and George W. Martin correspondence

Adolph Roenigk and George W. Martin correspondence
Creator: Roenigk, Adolph, 1847-1938
Date: October 10, 1904-January 24, 1908
In this correspondence with George W. Martin of the Kansas State Historical Society, Adolph Roenigk addresses issues related to the Pawnee Indians. In the letter dated October 10, 1904, Roenigk explains that "a Battle between the Potowatomie and the Pawnee Indians was fought here [Lincoln, Kansas] in 1863." According to Roenigk, between 14 and 16 Native Indians were killed during the fighting. Similarly, Roenigk's letter of October 24, 1906, concerns violence between Kansans and Native Indians during the late 1860s when a man named Solomon Humbarger and Solomon's brother were attacked by Native Indians. After killing one of their chiefs Roenigk states that Humbarger was shot in the thigh with an arrow.


Albert R. Chancellor, World War I soldier

Albert R. Chancellor, World War I soldier
Date: 1918-1919
Around 1919, the Kansas State Historical Society and the American Legion solicited biographical information from returning veterans (primarily members of the 35th and 89th infantry divisions) and the families of those who died in service, notably from the Gold Star Mothers. Each veteran or family member was asked to provide letters, photographs, a biography, and military records. This file contains information on Albert R. Chancellor, Company D, Camp Kearny, California.


Albert Robinson Greene to Franklin G. Adams

Albert Robinson Greene to Franklin G. Adams
Creator: Greene, A.R.
Date: January 16, 1889
In this letter to Franklin G. Adams of the Kansas State Historical Society, Albert R. Greene briefly describes the major events of his life, including his early years, his service with the 9th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry during the Civil War, and his career after the war's end.


Alfalfa mill in Minneapolis, Kansas

Alfalfa mill in Minneapolis, Kansas
Date: Between 1905 and 1910
A postcard showing an alfalfa mill in Minneapolis, Kansas.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Ada, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Ada, Kansas
Date: 1970
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Ada, Kansas. The one-story wooden structure with batten siding still stands and is being used for storage.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Minneapolis, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Minneapolis, Kansas
Creator: Kelley, Frank O.
Date: 1959
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot at Minneapolis, Kansas.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Minneapolis, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Minneapolis, Kansas
Date: Between 1905 and 1910
This postcard shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot in Minneapolis, Kansas. The structure was moved two miles southwest of the town of Minneapolis to 809 Justice Road.


Auto races, Minneapolis, Kansas

Auto races, Minneapolis, Kansas
Date: August 1917
This photograph shows an automobile race at the Ottawa County fair in Minneapolis, Kansas. There are also a number of Model T Fords parked along the track and in the infield.


Bank in Minneapolis, Kansas

Bank in Minneapolis, Kansas
Date: Between 1905 and 1910
A postcard showing a bank on the corner of Second Street in Minneapolis, Kansas.


Bank of Tescott, Tescott, Kansas

Bank of Tescott, Tescott, Kansas
Creator: Bank of Tescott (Tescott, Kan.)
Date: 1903-1974
This series of photographs contains reproductions of the Bank of Tescott in Tescott, Kansas, between 1903 and 1974. Reproductions include the Flood of 1903, construction of a new bank building in 1911, interior views of the bank, and the bank as it appeared in the 1970s.


Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Kansas

Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Kansas
Date: Between 1910 and 1915
A postcard showing the Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Kansas.


Bison Scapula Hoe from the Aerhart Site, 14OT305

Bison Scapula Hoe from the Aerhart Site, 14OT305
Date: 1000-1400 CE
This remnant of a bison scapula hoe was collected from the Aerhart site in 1934 and donated in 1971 to the Kansas Historical Society. The Aerhart site, in Ottawa County, was a Smoky Hill phase site with one circular house with an entryway to the southeast. The hoe's maker removed the long spine that runs the length of the scapula (shoulder blade), beveled and sharpened the edge, and hafted it to a handle. This hoe has nearly been completely used and may have been repurposed into another tool.


Bison Scapula Hoe from the Minneaspolis Site, 14OT5

Bison Scapula Hoe from the Minneaspolis Site, 14OT5
Date: 1232-1409 CE
This bison scapula hoe was recovered from the Minneapolis archeological site in Ottawa County during excavation in 1934. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1987. The Minneapolis site represents a village of the Smoky Hill Aspect peoples during the Middle Ceramic time period. The hoe's maker removed the long spine that runs the length of the scapula (shoulder blade), beveled and sharpened the edge, and hafted it to a handle.


Board Members, Dickinson, Saline & Ottawa rural electric coop

Board Members, Dickinson, Saline & Ottawa rural electric coop
Date: Between 1950 and 1953
This is a photograph of the Dickinson, Saline & Ottawa Rural Electric Cooperative board of directors. Timothy Francis Kelley, president, is seated in the center front row and Timothy Theodor Riordan is seated to Kelley's left. The other men in the photograph are unidentified.


Bone Awl from the Aerhart Site, 14OT305

Bone Awl from the Aerhart Site, 14OT305
Date: 1000-1400 CE
This burned bone awl was collected from the Aerhart site in 1934 and donated in 1971 to the Kansas Historical Society. The Aerhart site, in Ottawa County, has a Smoky Hill phase occupation with one circular house with an entryway to the southeast. Awls were used as a perforating tool in soft materials, like hides, and possibly in basket and pottery manufacture.


Bone Awl from the Markley Site, 14OT308

Bone Awl from the Markley Site, 14OT308
Date: 1000-1500 CE
This complete bone awl was recovered from House 1 at the Markley site, a Smoky Hill Phase occupation site containing two or more houses. Awls such as this one are usually made from deer bone. They were used to make holes in soft material, like hides, and possibly in basket and pottery manufacturing.


Bone Beads from the Markley Site, 14OT308

Bone Beads from the Markley Site, 14OT308
Date: 1000-1500 CE
These two bone beads in slightly different styles were collected from House 1 at the Markley site, a Smoky Hill Phase occupation site containing two or more houses. The collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1971. Bone beads such as these are generally made of bird bone.


Bone Fish Hook from the Lamar Site, 14OT304

Bone Fish Hook from the Lamar Site, 14OT304
Date: 1000-1400 CE
This delicate bone fish hook was excavated in 1935 from the Lamar site in Ottawa County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1971. The Smoky Hill phase site had a single, almost square, house and four cache pits.


Bone Knife from the Minneapolis Site, 14OT5

Bone Knife from the Minneapolis Site, 14OT5
Date: 1232-1409 CE
This bone knife was recovered from the Minneapolis archeological site in Ottawa County during excavation in 1934 and was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1987. The Minneapolis site was a Smoky Hill Aspect village occupied during the Middle Ceramic time period. Bone knives like this one have been called squash knives, cleavers, or spatulas. They were crafted from a bison scapula (shoulder blade) and would have been used to slice soft plant materials.


Bone Pendant from the Markley Site, 14OT308

Bone Pendant from the Markley Site, 14OT308
Date: 1000-1500 CE
This bone pendant was recovered from House 1 at the Markley site, a Smoky Hill Phase occupation site containing two or more houses. The small bone has a drilled hole and one end and is tapered to a point at the other end.


Boyd Branch McGavran, World War I soldier

Boyd Branch McGavran, World War I soldier
Creator: McGavran, Boyd Branch
Date: 1918
Around 1919, the Kansas State Historical Society and the American Legion solicited biographical information from returning veterans (primarily members of the 35th and 89th infantry divisions) and the families of those who died in service, notably from the Gold Star Mothers. Each veteran or family member was asked to provide letters, photographs, a biography, and military records. This file contains information on Boyd Branch McGavran, Company G, 137th Infantry, 35th Division.


Brass Button from the Minneapolis Site, 14OT5

Brass Button from the Minneapolis Site, 14OT5
Date: Unknown
This brass button was found at the Minneapolis site, a Smoky Hill aspect village occupied around 1232 C.E to 1409 C.E. However, this button comes from a much more modern time period and was intrusive on the site. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1972. The decorated front of the button depicts the Dutch royal sheild topped by a crown and supported by two lions, likely a modern reproduction. Archeologists have to take into account all artifacts from a site, not just those that seem appropriate for the time period or group being researched.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.