Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Parrawasamen or Chief Ten Bears, Camanche Parrawasamen or Chief Ten Bears, Camanche

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 734,396
Bookbag items: 39,580
Registered users: 12,087

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 36

Category Filters

Built Environment - Materials - Metal

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 36 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


American Carbide & Chemical Corporation, Arkansas City, Kansas

American Carbide & Chemical Corporation, Arkansas City, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1929
Two black and white photographs of the American Carbide and Chemical Corporation in Arkansas City, Kansas.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company bridge, Abo Canyon, New Mexico

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company bridge, Abo Canyon, New Mexico
Date: Between 1905 and 1908
This view shows the second Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company bridge crossing the Abo River at Abo Canyon, New Mexico. Construction on the railway bridges, tunnels, and tracks in Abo Canyon began in 1905 and was completed in 1908.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company bridge construction, Abo Canyon, New Mexico

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company bridge construction, Abo Canyon, New Mexico
Date: Between 1905 and 1908
This view shows a construction crew from the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company swinging the last girder into place on the sixth railroad bridge crossing at the Abo River in Abo Canyon, New Mexico. Also visible are a railroad locomotive, and railway construction equipment and supplies. Construction on the railroad bridges, tunnels, and tracks in Abo Canyon begun in 1905 and was completed in 1908.


Dymaxion house, Rose Hill, Kansas

Dymaxion house, Rose Hill, Kansas
Date: Between 1948 and 1958
This black and white photograph shows the prototype of a dymaxion house designed by Richard Buckminster Fuller. The word dymaxion means DY (dynamic), MAX (maximum), and ION (tension). The house, constructed in Rose Hill, Kansas, was made of aluminum and used tension suspension from a central column or mast. This model was one of only two prototypes ever produced. Fuller hoped to convert the Beech aircraft factory in Wichita to produce these houses to give returning veterans jobs and to help resolve the shortage of homes following World War II. In 1991 the William Graham family donated it to the Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village in Dearborn Michigan.


Dymaxion house, Rose Hill, Kansas

Dymaxion house, Rose Hill, Kansas
Date: Between 1948 and 1958
This black and white photograph shows the prototype of a dymaxion house designed by Richard Buckminster Fuller. The word Dymaxion means DY (dynamic), MAX (maximum), and ION (tension). The house, constructed in Rose Hill, Kansas, was made of aluminum and used tension suspension from a central column or mast. This model was one of only two prototypes ever produced. Fuller hoped to convert the Beech aircraft factory in Wichta to produce these houses to give returning veterans jobs and to help resolve the shortage of homes following World War II. In 1991 the William Graham family donated it to the Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.


Dymaxion House, Rose Hill, Kansas

Dymaxion House, Rose Hill, Kansas
Date: Between 1948 and 1958
This black and white photograph shows the prototype of a Dymaxion House designed by Richard Buckminster Fuller. The word Dymaxion means DY (dynamic), MAX (maximum), and ION (tension). The house, constructed in Rose Hill, KS, was made of aluminum and used tension suspension from a central column or mast. This model was one of only two prototypes ever produced. Fuller hoped to convert the Beech aircraft factory in Wichita to produce these houses to give returning veterans jobs and to help resolve the shortage of homes following World War II. In 1991 the William Graham family donated it to the Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.


Gallagher residence, Hays, Kansas

Gallagher residence, Hays, Kansas
Date: 2000
These twelve black and white photographs show the Gallagher residence in Hays. Kansas. The single dwelling structure is an example of a Lustron home. This pre fabricated enameled steel house was manufactured after World War II to help alleviate the shortage of homes for soldiers and their families. The original architectural prototype was a two-bedroom, 1,000-square foot home with an exterior sheathing made of 2-foot square steel panels. Later models included one bedroom and three bedroom homes.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka
Date: 1965
This black and white photograph shows the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years, the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passed in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1955
These three black and white photographs show the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954, when Governor Edward Arn broke ground for the future office site in a public ceremony. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years, the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987, when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passes in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1955
These four black and white photographs show a view of the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years, the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a budget bill passes in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows a view of the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passes in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1955
These four black and white photographs show a view of the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years, the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passes in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1956
These seven black and white photographs show the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954, when Governor Edward Arn broke ground for the future office site in a public ceremony. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987, when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passed in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1960
These six colored transparencies show the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954, when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987, when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passed in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows a northwest view of the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passed in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: King, Orin C.
Date: February 3, 1957
These two photographs show a night view of the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years, the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passed in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows a view looking west of the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years, the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passed in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: November 8, 1957
This black and white photograph shows the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years, the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passed in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas

Kansas State Office Building, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows a southwest view of the Kansas State Office Building in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the twelve-story building, located at the corner of Tenth Street and Topeka Boulevard, began on October 26, 1954 when Governor Edward Arn in a public ceremony broke ground for the future office site. The steel frame structure with its 1,986 tinted glass windows was completed at a cost of 9 million dollars in March of 1957. For a number of years the building was known as the Kansas State Office Building until January 9, 1987 when Governor John Carlin renamed the facility to honor the memory of former Kansas Governor Robert B. Docking. In May of 2014 a bill passed in the legislature for the authorization to raze the building.


Major General James B. McPherson, McPherson, Kansas

Major General James B. McPherson, McPherson, Kansas
Date: Between 1930 and 1938
This postcard shows the statue of Major General James Birdseye McPherson in McPherson, Kansas. This bronze monument honors the career of a Union General and the namesake of McPherson, Kansas. Located in the city park and across from the county courthouse, it was unveiled in July of 1917 and is considered the first life-sized equestrian statue erected in the state. The inscription on the base reads "James B McPherson Post No 187 G.A.R.".


Neosho River bridge

Neosho River bridge
Date: 1876-1943
This is an early photograph of the steel and wooden Neosho River bridge, located about 4 and a half miles west of Erie in Neosho County, Kansas. Parts of it were built as early as 1876-1877 and it collapsed in 1943.


Pittsburg Zinc Company, Pittsburg, Kansas

Pittsburg Zinc Company, Pittsburg, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
A view of the Pittsburg Zinc Company's smelter operation in Pittsburg, Kansas. Pittsburg became an early zinc smelting center because of its proximity to the large coal fields and rich zinc mines in the Tri-State Mining District of Missouri, Oklahoma, and Kansas.


Switch engine tie up tracks, Argentine, Kansas

Switch engine tie up tracks, Argentine, Kansas
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: February 7, 1970
A view of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway's switch engine tie up tracks in the Argentine Yard in Argentine, Kansas. Also visible are a parking lot with automobiles, a tall rail yard control tower, trash heaps, an elevated roadway, utility poles, power lines, grain elevators, a factory, and a high-rise building.


Wyatt Manufacturing Company, Salina, Kansas

Wyatt Manufacturing Company, Salina, Kansas
Date: November 1963
This photograph shows the new office building of the Wyatt Manufacturing Company in Salina, Kansas. The company, founded in 1903, produced metal castings for farm machinery.


Wyatt Manufacturing Company, Salina, Kansas

Wyatt Manufacturing Company, Salina, Kansas
Date: Between 1940s and 1950s
These two photographs show a machinist modifying parts at the Wyatt Manufacturing Company in Salina, Kansas. The company, founded in 1903, produced metal castings for farm machinery.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.