Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1861-1869 (7)
1870s (22)
1880s (48)
1890s (59)
1900s (56)
1910s (43)
1920s (30)
1930s (21)
1940s (23)
1950s (42)
1960s (24)
1970s (6)
1980s (18)
1990s (14)
2000s (13)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway locomotive #3783 at Los Angeles, California Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway locomotive #3783 at Los Angeles, California

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,320
Bookbag items: 35,871
Registered users: 10,935

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 283

Category Filters

Built Environment - Materials - Stone

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 283 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Adair Brown cabin, Osawatomie, Kansas

Adair Brown cabin, Osawatomie, Kansas
Date: Between 1928 and 1965
This black and white photograph shows the Adair-Brown cabin at the John Brown Memorial Park in Osawatomie, Kansas. The structure built around 1854 by Samuel Glenn was sold, in 1855, to John Brown's brother-in-law Samuel Lyle Adair. The cabin provided a home for the Adair family but was frequently used by Brown for abolitionist activities. In 1912, the structure was moved to the highest point in the John Brown Memorial Park which is also the site of the "Battle of Osawatomie" where John Brown and thirty free-state defenders fought in 1856 against 250 pro-slavery militia. A stone pavilion was built in 1928 to protect the cabin's exterior. The state legislature appointed the Kansas Historical Society to maintain the site and in 1971 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Arbor Day in Topeka, Kansas

Arbor Day in Topeka, Kansas
Date: April 22, 1875
This a photograph of Arbor Day activities at 8th & Jackson streets on the Statehouse grounds in Topeka, Kansas. Over 800 trees were planted on the statehouse grounds to commemorate the occasion; however, only a few lived through the summer.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's fire department, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's fire department, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: Between 1940 and 1949
This black and white photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's fire department in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In the doorway of the facility two firemen can be seen behind the wheel of the company's fire engine.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Ottawa, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Ottawa, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1965
These two photographs show the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot at Ottawa, Kansas. The depot is currently the home of the Franklin County Historical Society and is located directly east of the entrance to Forest Park.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Shawnee, Oklahoma

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Shawnee, Oklahoma
Date: Between 1880s and 1900s
This black and white photograph shows a view of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company depot, designed by Charles Whittlesey, in Shawnee, Oklahoma. In the foreground a group of men can be seen gathered in front of steam locomotive # 230. The depot is no longer in use but serves today as a Santa Fe depot museum.


Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe and Chicago, Rock Island, Pacific depot, Atchison, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe and Chicago, Rock Island, Pacific depot, Atchison, Kansas
Creator: Killam, H.
Date: March 15, 1958
This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe and Chicago, Rock Island Pacific freight depot in Atchison, Kansas. The two-story limestone building was part of the Eastern Lines, Eastern Division, Atchison District at milepost 0.5 and also part of the MO Kansas Division, Sub Division 30-A at milepost 519.4. The depot still stands and serves as the Atchison County Museum/Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.


Battery A on the Kansas State Capitol grounds in Topeka, Kansas

Battery A on the Kansas State Capitol grounds in Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Farrow, W. F.
Date: February 1893
During the Populist War of 1893, Battery A, a militia unit from Wichita, Kansas, was stationed on the grounds outside of the Kansas State Capitol building in Topeka, Kansas. The dispute began when both the Republican and Populist parties claimed victory in the Kansas House elections in 1892. A number of contests were still being disputed when the legislative session began in January 1893. The conflict between the parties reached a crisis when the Populists locked themselves in the House Hall. The Republicans used a sledgehammer to break down the doors to the hall. The governor requested support from the state militia. After a three-day standoff, Governor Lewelling was able to negotiate an agreement with the Republican speaker of the house, which amounted to a Populist surrender. The state Supreme Court ultimately ruled in favor of the Republicans.


Beecher Bible and Rifle Church, Wabaunsee County, Kansas

Beecher Bible and Rifle Church, Wabaunsee County, Kansas
Date: Between 1862 and 1880
The Beecher Bible and Rifle Church is the oldest community building in the Wabaunsee County. After two years of fundraising, construction began on a stone church that still stands today in Wabaunsee. The stone was hauled from nearby hilltop quarries. Women helped mix the mortar by hand, and the original shake shingles were made with crude hand tools. The church was dedicated in May 1862.


Bourbon County Courthouse

Bourbon County Courthouse
Date: Between 1892 and 1900
A photograph of the Bourbon County Courthouse located on the west side of National Avenue between Second and Third streets, Fort Scott, Kansas. The building burned to the ground on Jan 12, 1929.


Brookly Bridge, Solider, Kansas

Brookly Bridge, Solider, Kansas
Creator: Reed & Son, Solider, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1909
This postcard shows a stone arch bridge in Solider, Kansas commonly referred to as the "Brookly Bridge".


Busby School

Busby School
Date: Between 1900 and 1943
This is a view of Busby School in Elk County, Kansas.


Capitol's library room, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol's library room, Topeka, Kansas
Date: 1887
This sepia colored photograph shows the construction of the library room at the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866 when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: October 1992
This black and white photograph shows a southeast view of the Capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was competed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: October 1992
This black and white photograph shows a southwest view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Wolcott, J.C.
Date: 1898
This photograph shows a view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas taken from the top of the Santa Fe building at Ninth and Jackson. The capitol is located on twenty acres of land once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday. Work began on the capitol October 17, 1866 when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: October 1992
This black and white photograph shows a southwest view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: October 1992
This black and white photograph shows a west view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Cone, William Whitney
Date: 1888
This sepia colored photograph shows construction on the capitol dome in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol on October 17, 1866 when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This black and white photograph shows the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. It is located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday. Work on the structure began on October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was competed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92. The office for the governor, the chambers for the Kansas House of Representatives and the Senate, and the Kansas Supreme Court were all located in this building for a number of years.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Souvenir Post Card Co., New York
Date: Between 1898 and 1908
This postcard shows the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on October 17, 1866 when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: October 1992
This black and white photograph shows a southeast view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: October 1992
This black and white photograph shows a south view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: October 1992
This black and white photograph shows a north view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: June 1992
This black and white photograph shows a northeast view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone was laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Capitol, Topeka, Kansas

Capitol, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Worley, Barry John, 1949-
Date: October 1992
This black and white photograph shows an east view of the capitol in Topeka, Kansas. Located on twenty acres of land, once owned by Cyrus K. Holliday, work began on the capitol October 17, 1866, when the cornerstone as laid for the east wing. Thirty-seven years later the statehouse, an example of French Renaissance architecture and Corinthian details, was completed at a total cost of $3,200,588.92. The Kansas Legislature meets in the building and the office of the Governor is in the structure as well. For many years, the Kansas Supreme Court was housed in the Capitol, also.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.