Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union memory book Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union memory book

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 626,655
Bookbag items: 37,101
Registered users: 11,222

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 17

Category Filters

Built Environment - Function - Religion - Church School

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 17 of 17 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Congregational Church, Westmoreland, Kansas

Congregational Church, Westmoreland, Kansas
Date: 1911
This postcard shows a group of children gathered in front of the Congregational Church in Westmoreland, Kansas. The town of Westmoreland is the county seat of Pottawatomie County.


Mount Pleasant Sabbath School in Sheridan County, Kansas

Mount Pleasant Sabbath School in Sheridan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1885 and 1898
This photograph shows a large group of adults and children standing outside a sod school. The photo is captioned "Mount Pleasant Sabbath School" and was taken about 1890-1898 in Sheridan County. There is a two horse-drawn wagon with a family aboard.


Osage Catholic Mission historical marker, St. Paul, Kansas

Osage Catholic Mission historical marker, St. Paul, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1956
A photograph of a Kansas historical marker at the Osage Catholic Mission, St. Paul, Kansas.


Pottawatomie Indian Mission, St. Marys, Kansas

Pottawatomie Indian Mission, St. Marys, Kansas
Date: Between 1840 and 1860
View of the Pottawatomie Indian Mission in St. Marys, Pottawatomie County, Kansas. The mission was built by Catholic missionaries to educate the Pottawatomie people, and to convert them to Christianity.


Pottawatomie Indian Mission church

Pottawatomie Indian Mission church
Date: 1905 ?
View of an unidentified Pottawatomie Indian mission church.


Pottawatomie Indian Mission church

Pottawatomie Indian Mission church
Date: 1905 ?
View of an unidentified Pottawatomie Indian mission church, c. 1905.


Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas

Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1928
A view of the Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, which was used as a residence by Rev. Thomas Johnson, his family, mission teachers, and a dormitory for Shawnee Indian girls.


Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas

Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1929
A view of the Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, which was used as a residence by Rev. Thomas Johnson, his family, mission teachers, and a dormitory for Shawnee Indian girls. Also, this building housed the executive office of the Kansas Territory in 1855.


Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas

Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas
Creator: Jones, Lester
Date: July 06, 1940
A view of the interior woodwork detail at the North Building, Shawnee Methodist Mission. The photograph was taken as part of the Historic American Building Survey, Library of Congress.


Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas

Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas
Creator: Jones, Lester
Date: July 6, 1940
A view showing reconstruction work at the Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas. This structure was used as a residence by Rev. Thomas Johnson, his family, mission teachers, and as a dormitory for Shawnee Indian girls. Also, this building housed the executive office of the Kansas Territory in 1855. The photograph was taken as part of the Historic American Building Survey for the Library of Congress.


Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas

Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1940
An exterior view showing reconstruction work on the Shawnee Methodist Mission, North Building, Fairway, Kansas. The structure was used as a residence by Rev. Thomas Johnson, his family, mission teachers, and as a dormitory for Shawnee Indian girls.


South view of Briggsvale School on the Delaware Baptist Mission, Wyandotte County

South view of Briggsvale School on the Delaware Baptist Mission, Wyandotte County
Creator: Missionary Magazine
Date: May, 1851
Drawing showing south view of Briggsvale School on the Delaware Baptist Mission, Wyandotte County. It was copied from The Missionary Magazine, May, 1851.


St. Francis hall at Saint Paul, Kansas

St. Francis hall at Saint Paul, Kansas
Date: 1879
A photograph showing St. Francis Hall at the Osage Catholic Mission in Saint Paul, Kansas. The two-story frame building, built in 1869, was first used as a library and later as a parochial school for boys. The mission was founded in 1847 for Osage Indians living along the Neosho and Verdigris rivers. A manual labor school for boys was established by the Jesuits and a department for girls by the Sisters of Loretto. In 1848 the first Catholic church in southern Kansas was built. When the Osages moved to Indian territory in 1870, white children gradually replaced the Indians. The school became St. Francis Institution for boys and St. Ann's Academy for girls. St. Francis closed in 1891 and St. Ann's was destroyed by fire in 1895.


Stone's Folly, Topeka, Kansas

Stone's Folly, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1889 and 1901
An east view of Stone's Folly located at 17th and Stone Streets in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the three-story eighteen room mansion began around 1887 when Erastus R. Stone purchased a thirty acre tract of land west of Washburn College. The castle-like structure with its ornate appearance was Stone's vision of the finest mansion in the state of Kansas. Unfortunately, an economic depression and a drought halted construction on the home. Without the financial means to finish the mansion, Stone's castle became know as Stone's Folly and was eventually sold to the American Bible Society of Philadelphia. The home, never occupied by Stone and his family, remained vacant for over a decade until 1900 when the Rev. Charles Fox Parham rented the residence for his Bethel Bible College. From October of 1900 to July of 1901, Parham and his wife Sarah used the home as a gathering place for the teachings of the Pentecostal faith. When their lease on Stone's Folly was not renewed the mansion was sold, on July 20, 1901, to Harry Croft, a bootlegger who converted the residence into a roadhouse. Tragically, a mysterious fire destroyed the Gothic structure on December 6, 1901. Today, there are no reminders of the mansion but the site is the home of the Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church.


Stone's Folly, Topeka, Kansas

Stone's Folly, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1899 and 1901
This black and white photograph shows Stone's Folly at 17th and Stone Streets in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the three-story eighteen room mansion began around 1887 when Erastus R. Stone purchased a thirty acre tract of land west of Washburn College. The castle like structure embodied Stone's vision of the finest mansion in Kansas. Unfortunately, an economic depression and a drought halted construction on the home. Without the financial means to finish the mansion, Stone's castle became know as Stone's Folly and was eventually sold to the American Bible Society of Philadelphia. The home, never occupied by Stone and his family, remained vacant for over a decade until 1900 when the Rev. Charles Fox Parham rented the residence for his Bethel Bible College. From October of 1900 to July of 1901, Parham and his wife Sarah used the home as a gathering place for the teachings of the Pentecostal faith. When their lease on Stone's Folly was not renewed the mansion was sold, on July 20, 1901, to bootlegger Harry Croft who converted the residence into a roadhouse. Tragically, a mysterious fire destroyed the gothic structure on December 6, 1901. Today, there are no remnants of the mansion but the site is the home of the Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church.


Stone's Folly, Topeka, Kansas

Stone's Folly, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1889 and 1901
This sepia colored photograph shows the Stone's Folly at 17th and Stone Streets in Topeka, Kansas. Construction on the three-story eighteen room mansion began around 1887 when Erastus R. Stone purchased a thirty acre tract of land west of Washburn College. The castle like structure embodied Stone's vision of the finest mansion in Kansas. Unfortunately, an economic depression and a drought halted construction on the home. Without the financial means to finish the mansion, Stone's castle became known as Stone's Folly and was eventually sold to the American Bible Society of Philadelphia. The home, never occupied by Stone and his family, remained vacant for over a decade until 1900 when the Rev. Charles Fox Parham rented the residence for his Bethel Bible College. From October of 1900 to July of 1901, Parham and his wife Sarah used the home as a gathering place for the teachings of the Pentecostal faith. When their lease on Stone's Folly was not renewed the mansion was sold, on July 20, 1901, to bootlegger Harry Croft who converted the residence into a roadhouse. Tragically, a mysterious fire destroyed the gothic structure on December 6, 1901. Today there are no remnants of the mansion but the site is the home of the Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church.


Sunday school group in Lucerne, Kansas

Sunday school group in Lucerne, Kansas
Date: 1896
Photograph of a Sunday School group in Lucerne, Kansas.


Showing 1 - 17

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.