Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Goddard Woman's Club picture history Goddard Woman's Club picture history

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 602,371
Bookbag items: 36,268
Registered users: 11,025

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 11

Category Filters

Built Environment - Function - Commerce/Trade - Professional

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 11 of 11 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


A and B Drug Company on Broadway, Marysville, Kansas

A and B Drug Company on Broadway, Marysville, Kansas
Date: 1926
This photograph shows an exterior view of the A and B Drug Company on Broadway west of 10th Street in Marysville, Kansas. The sign on the side of the building also reads, "The Rexall Store, where you get what you call for." To the left of the drug store, a sign for W. H. Grindle's Dental Office is visible. Other businesses partially visible along the street include Electric Signs Talk, Isis Theatre, Exchange Bank, a shoe store, the City Bakery, a grocery store, another drug store, Independent Garage, and Pioneer Tire Service. A few people are visible walking on the sidewalks, and many automobiles are visible parked or driving along the street.


Boeger's photography studio, Topeka, Kansas

Boeger's photography studio, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1911 and 1924
This black and white photograph shows an interior view of Boeger's photography studio in Topeka, Kansas. Established in 1911 by Charles J. Boeger, the business was located at 707 Kansas Avenue. In the 1920s the studio moved to 821 Kansas Avenue before relocating in the 1940s to 727 Kansas Avenue.


Cheney Drug Company, Cheney, Kansas

Cheney Drug Company, Cheney, Kansas
Date: 1905-1907
These photographs show views of the Cheney Drug Company store in Cheney, Kansas. The first photograph shows an exterior view of the Cheney Drug Company located in the Collins and Joslyn Building. Four men are visible standing in front of the store, and a sign below the windows advertises drugs and soda water. The offices above the drug store are identified as those of Dr. Artman, M. D., and the telephone office. The business to the left of the drug store is identified as Robert King Jewelry Store. Four men are visible near the front of the store on the right side of the picture, and a girl and a dog are visible in front of the store to the left of Cheney Drug Company. A horse-drawn buggy and a wagon are visible in the street. The second photograph shows an interior view of the Cheney Drug Company store. A man and woman are visible standing in the store. Many display cases are visible along both sides of the store, and shelves line the left, back, and right walls. The shelves on the left appear to be filled with bottles of chemicals and pharmacy supplies. A partially visible sign across the top of the back shelves reads, "To cure a cold in one day." The hanging sign near the middle of the picture reads, "Wise men smoke Ben-Hur cigars," and advertises the five cent price. A wall clock is visible on the left side of the back wall.


Dr. Charles F. Menninger and his interests

Dr. Charles F. Menninger and his interests
Date: 1889-1930
These black and white photographs showing Dr. C. F. Menninger's involvement in many activities in Topeka, Kansas. These interests were reflected in his work as a physician. Includes photographs of buildings in Topeka, Kansas State Board of Health, Reinisch Rose Garden, Christ Hospital. Dr. C.F. Menninger and his sons, Dr. Karl and Dr. Will, formed a group psychiatry practice in 1919. The Menninger Clinic as a sanitarium was established in 1925 with the purchase of a farm house and admittance of 12 patients. The philosophy was that mental illness could be treated with an integrated medical, psychodynamic, and developmental approach for the total health of patients. His interest in horticulture was reflected not only in his home and garden, but in the development of a horticulture therapy at the clinic. One photograph shows the north side of the 100 block of West Sixth, Topeka.


Drug Store, Murdock, Kansas

Drug Store, Murdock, Kansas
Date: 1912
This photograph shows an exterior view of a drug store in Murdock, Kansas. The sign on the left window also has the name "Dr. Koger." Visible in front of the building are two men, a small child, and a dog.


Drug Store and businesses on Main Street, Russell, Kansas

Drug Store and businesses on Main Street, Russell, Kansas
Date: 1885
This photograph shows a view of the businesses along Main Street between 7th and 8th Streets in Russell, Kansas. At the left side of the picture a drug store is visible. Other businesses visible include Butler Brothers Jewelers, a bakery with a sign for ice cream, Ahsing Laundry, W. E. Banks Hardware, Land Office of K. W. Robbins, a law office, a bank, and the Spot Cash Store grocery. Most of the buildings on this block later burned in 1889, except for the ones on the far left end of the block. A few boys are visible standing in front of the businesses, and a few horses are visible in the street. Several wooden crates and a wooden barrel are visible in front of the Spot Cash Store, and a large clock hanging from a pole is visible in front of the Butler Brothers Jewelers store. (The W. E. Banks building and the First National Bank building were rebuilt after the fire, and in 2006 they were nominated for the National Register of Historic Places as virtually unaltered examples of Victorian-era commercial buildings.)


Dudley's Drug Store, Silver Lake, Kansas

Dudley's Drug Store, Silver Lake, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1940
This photograph shows an exterior view of Dudley's Drug Store in Silver Lake, Kansas. A man possibly identified as Dr. Dudley is visible sitting in a chair on the front porch of the store. Also visible on the right side of the picture is an elevator, and a man is visible standing in front of it. Partially visible in the background between the drug store and the elevator is a Union Pacific rail car.


Interior views of the Guy L. Hursh and E. R. Sloan law office in Holton, Kansas

Interior views of the Guy L. Hursh and E. R. Sloan law office in Holton, Kansas
Date: Between 1912 and 1913
This series of photographs shows the interior of the Guy L. Hursh and E. R. Sloan law office in Holton, Kansas.


Kansas Avenue, Liberal, Kansas

Kansas Avenue, Liberal, Kansas
Date: Between 1928 and 1938
This photograph shows a street scene of Kansas Avenue in Liberal, Kansas. Although they are only partially visible, there are signs for at least three drug stores among the businesses in this picture. Starting from the left side, the first sign is for Taylor's Drugs. The next sign reads, "Dr. Beaty, Dentist, X-Ray." Another drug store sign is visible after that, then a sign for the Stoner Jewelry Company. Other signs on the left side of the street are less visible in the background. On the right side of the street, the sign for the Warren Hotel is visible, and farther in the background, to the left of the sign, another drug store and soda sign is partially visible. Other signs on the right side of the picture include a theater marquee, signs advertising Blatz Milwaukee Beer and Budweiser, and a sign reading, "Department Stores" on the far right. Many automobiles are visible along the street, and several people are also visible along the street.


Lange's Drug Store, Leavenworth, Kansas

Lange's Drug Store, Leavenworth, Kansas
Date: Between 1870 and 1900
This photograph shows an exterior view of Lange's Drug Store on the corner of 4th and Shawnee streets in Leavenworth, Kansas. A sign advertising "Drugs and Medicines" and showing the traditional mortar and pestle pharmacy symbol is visible. The large sign on the right side of the building reads, "Lange's Drug Store. Drugs and medicines, paints, oils, brushes, and glass. Choice wines and liquors. Fine perfumery, toilet articles, soaps, sponges. Trusses a specialty. Prescriptions compounded day and night. Old Wizard oil, best family medicine." The sign farther to the right advertises "Tutt's Liver Pills." The sign above the arched window on the corner reads "Apotheke," the German word for a pharmacy . The sign to the left reads "Adolf Lange." Other businesses visible to the left of the picture include a store for boots and shoes, and a store with a sign reading, "Commission. Gus. O. L. Sauer." Two horse-drawn wagons are visible on the left, and trolley tracks are visible running along the dirt street. This same building was previously the Central Drug Store owned by Theodore Egersdorff.


Views of Junction City, Kansas

Views of Junction City, Kansas
Creator: Wheeler and Teitzel
Date: Between 1890 and 1897
This small photograph album was produced by Wheeler and Teitzel, photographers in Junction City, Kansas. It contains thirty-one photographs showing exterior views of buildings and structures in or near Junction City. The album includes pictures of the city hall and opera house, fifteen scenes of various business buildings, four railroad depots, two churches, three schoolhouses, a court house, the Ogden's Monument, the electric light and mill, and a view of Fort Riley.


Showing 1 - 11

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.