Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Arthur Capper, Ben Paulin, Charles Curtis, and Carl R. Gray at Pawnee Capitol, Pawnee, Kansas Arthur Capper, Ben Paulin, Charles Curtis, and Carl R. Gray at Pawnee Capitol, Pawnee, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 737,144
Bookbag items: 40,825
Registered users: 12,381

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 42

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Personal Gear - Pipe

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 42 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701

Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1972
Shown are five views of cleaned and reconstructed artifacts from the excavations at the Baker house in Morris County. Shown are a tablesetting, smoking pipes, a tintype frame, a bowl and pitcher, and a grouping of scissors, needle, thimble, and lens from a pair of spectacles. The artifact collection, along with these photographs, was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The excavation was undertaken by the Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) in 1972. The Baker house and nearby store were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Ceramic Pipe Bowl from the Paint Creek Site, 14MP1

Ceramic Pipe Bowl from the Paint Creek Site, 14MP1
Date: 1500-1800 CE
This ceramic pipe bowl was found at the Paint Creek village in McPherson County, Kansas. There are no traces of tobacco residue within the bowl. The pipe bowl was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1971. The Paint Creek site is part of the Little River focus of the Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita), whose people practiced fishing, hunting, gathering, and agriculture.


Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These pipe stem and bowl fragments were recovered from Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the location of the original fort building. The top row shows three glazed pipe bowls. The upper right pipe bowl is a fragment of a Presidential pipe. Based on the remnant of hair and right eye it depicts President Ulysses S. Grant and was made and distributed from 1865 to 1870. The bottom row shows an unglazed bowl, a decorated bowl and stem fragment, and a stem fragment. Fort Zarah was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Ceramic Pipe from the Ade Site, 14MP311

Ceramic Pipe from the Ade Site, 14MP311
Date: 1850-1900
This pipe fragment was collected from a multicomponent site in McPherson County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2004. Most of the artifacts from this site dated to the Middle Ceramic and Late Ceramic periods, but this artifact is firmly into the Historic Period. Only the stem end of the pipe remains. It shows no traces of having been smoked.


Ceramic Pipe Stem from 14MY349

Ceramic Pipe Stem from 14MY349
Date: Unknown
This pipe stem was recovered from a multicomponent site in Montgomery County with both Historic and Early Ceramic period artifacts. The pipe was made with a two part mold and has diagonal lines on both sides. The site has been much impacted by pot hunters and a reservoir.


Decorated Pipe Bowls from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Decorated Pipe Bowls from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These clay pipe bowl fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. All were mass produced using molds, but each pipe bowl is decorated in a different style below the rim. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Face Pipe

Face Pipe
Date: 1886
Notes that accompanied this ceramic pipe at the time of its donation alledged that the pipe was bought from the Apache Chief Geronimo on his way to Fort Sill in 1886. There is no other verification for this narrative. The pipe was donated in 1972 to the Kansas Historical Society. It appears to have never been smoked. The molded clay face has been embellished with black and red paint on the bowl and stem. The base of the bowl has been decorated with a swastika, a symbol that has been used in America and elsewhere since prehistoric times. The date "1886" was likely added at a later time.


Face Pipe

Face Pipe
Date: Unknown
This yellow glazed ceramic pipe was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. Anthropomorphic (resembling a human form) pipes such as this one began to be popular in the 18th century, though this pipe likely dates to a later time. It depicts an unknown male face wearing a crown. He may not have been royalty, because at the time other important people, George Washington for example, were also depicted with a crown.


"Face" Pipe from Fort Hays, 14EL301

"Face" Pipe from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This pipe bowl front was recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. Shown is the lower half of a man's face with a worn nose, moustache, and beard. Pipes like this are called figural or face pipes and was made in a mold with white clay, sometimes called pipe or kaolin clay. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


French Pipe from Fort Hays, 14EL301

French Pipe from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This pipe was recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The pipe was hand made by French pipe manufacturer, L. Fiolet of St. Omer (1768-1921) as is noted on the pipe stem. Pipes like this are made in a mold with white clay, sometimes called pipe or kaolin clay. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


George Walker to Franklin G. Adams

George Walker to Franklin G. Adams
Creator: Walker, George
Date: February 15, 1886
In this letter to Franklin G. Adams, the first secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, George Walker of Burlington, Kansas, relates the story of how he found a Native American pipe while working as a cowboy. According to Walker, he found the pipe after his horse's hoof struck something "that gave out a ringing sound."


Great Bend aspect Pipe from the Saxman Site, 14RC301

Great Bend aspect Pipe from the Saxman Site, 14RC301
Date: 1500-1650 CE
This ceramic pipe was collected from the Saxman site in Rice County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2017. The tubular shaped pipe, sometimes called a "cloud blower," has an incised line around the rim of the bowl, rows of punctates, and a fan- or fin-shaped stem end. The Saxman site, a large Great Bend aspect village, was occupied by the ancestral Wichita.


Osage Pipestone Pipe

Osage Pipestone Pipe
Date: Unknown
This pipestone pipe was donated by Chief Sylvester Tinker of the Osage Nation to the Kansas Historical Society in 1987. The pipe is decorated inlaid lead and jet designs and retains traces of dottle (tobacco residue) within the bowl. The Tinker collection includes hundreds of items such as these revealing the rich facets of Osage culture.


Pamplin Pipes from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Pamplin Pipes from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
These pipe bowl fragments were recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. This pipe style, Pamplin, was named after those made at the Pamplin Pipe Factory in Pamplin, Virginia (1879-1952). They are also sometimes called reed stem pipes. Manufactured from clay, they are a common find at archeological sites. They all retain traces of dottle (tobacco residue) in their interiors. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Pamplin Style Pipe

Pamplin Style Pipe
Date: 1879-1972
This pipe was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1972. The pipe style, Pamplin, was named after those made originally at the Pamplin Pipe Factory in Pamplin, Virginia (1879-1952). They are also sometimes called reed stem pipes. Manufactured from clay, they are a common find at archeological sites. The lower portion of the bowl is decorated with an acorn pattern and the stem area is faceted.


Peter Dorni Pipe Stem from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Peter Dorni Pipe Stem from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1869
This pipe stem was recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The stem has "PETER" on one side and "DORNI" on the other in block letters. The lettering is encircled by bands and towards the bowl end of the stem are two rows of oak leaves. This type of pipe is said to be made by Peter Dornier of France that date from 1850 to 1880. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Pipe

Pipe
Date: between 1943 and 1946
German hunter's pipe. Collected by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Pipe Bowl from the Baker Store, 14MO701

Pipe Bowl from the Baker Store, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This ceramic pipe bowl fragment was recovered from the Baker store in Morris County by the Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school in 1973. The pipe bowl, made in a mold, is decorated with zigzags below an embossed rim. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Pipe Clay Pipes from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Pipe Clay Pipes from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This complete pipe and pipe bowl fragments were recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The pipes are made of white clay, sometimes called pipe clay. The pipe bowl in the upper left has a back mark of "T D," often part of pipe molds used at the time of manufacture and not a maker's mark. The pipe bowl in the upper right is decorated with a leaf and reed pattern. Only the T.D. pipe retains traces of dottle (tobacco residue) in the interior. The pipe on the right has a worn area on the base of the stem where the smoker held the pipe between their teeth. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Pipe Cover from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Pipe Cover from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1930
This brass smoking pipe cover was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Pipe covers protected the pipe and the tobacco within from wind and rain. This one is vented with a circle of cut outs. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Pipe Fragments from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Pipe Fragments from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
These four pipe bowl fragments were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation and were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The pipe bowls were manufactured using a mold. Two glazed bowl fragments are decorated with parallel horizontal lines and may be from the same pipe. The smallest pipe bowl fragment is also glazed and may represent a face pipe. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Pipe Fragments from the Jotham Meeker Farmstead, 14FR308

Pipe Fragments from the Jotham Meeker Farmstead, 14FR308
Date: 1845-1865
These pipe fragments were recovered from the Jotham Meeker farmstead site in Franklin County. The pipe fragments are made of white clay, sometimes called pipe clay. They are decorated with horizontal and vertical molded lines. The site was excavated in 1985 at a Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. Jotham Meeker served as a Baptist missionary among the Ottawa on their reservation.


Pipe from 14CT347

Pipe from 14CT347
Date: 1880-1910
This pipe fragment was recovered from a farmstead in Chautauqua County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The pipe is manufactured of clay in a two-part mold (mold seams visible) and was decorated with a series of diagonal lines. The site had multiple occupations, what archeologists call a multicomponent site, dating from the Early Ceramic period (2000 to 1000 years ago) to the first half of the 20th century. This pipe dates to the latter occupation.


Pipe from 14MY313

Pipe from 14MY313
Date: Unknown
This pipe fragment was recovered from an Early Ceramic period archeological site in Montgomery County. The pipe was made in a mold as is evidenced by the mold lines. The pipe stem and bowl fragment has a brown glaze. As the pipe was manufactured long after the occupation at the site it was likely a modern intrusion from the surface.


Pipe from the Baker House, 14MO701

Pipe from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This nearly complete clay pipe was recovered during excavations in 1972 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archaeological field school. The pipe is decorated in a rib and scallop pattern and has a heel at the base of the bowl typical in pipes from 1820 to 1860. The collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.