Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Football party in the clubhouse at Lake Quivira, Kansas Football party in the clubhouse at Lake Quivira, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 731,878
Bookbag items: 38,003
Registered users: 11,662

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 7

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Adornment - Pendant

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Bone Pendant from the Markley Site, 14OT308

Bone Pendant from the Markley Site, 14OT308
Date: 1000-1500 CE
This bone pendant was recovered from House 1 at the Markley site, a Smoky Hill Phase occupation site containing two or more houses. The small bone has a drilled hole and one end and is tapered to a point at the other end.


Catlinite Pendant from Jefferson County

Catlinite Pendant from Jefferson County
Date: Unknown
This carved pipestone or Catlinite pendant was found in Jefferson County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1979. The soft fine grain material enabled the pendant's carver to shape and smooth the piece, score the lines on each end, and drill a hole for suspending the pendent.


Pendant and Bead from the Kohr Site, 14SA414

Pendant and Bead from the Kohr Site, 14SA414
Date: 780860 CE
This pendant fragment and bead, both made of shell, were collected in the 1930s from Kohr House No. 1 at a large village site in Saline County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1971. The Kohr site was occupied by Smoky Hill aspect people and had several rectangular houses. Radiocarbon dates on maize indicate it was occupied during the Early Ceramic period.


Pendant Fragment from the Killdeer Site, 14CO501

Pendant Fragment from the Killdeer Site, 14CO501
Date: 1500-1725 CE
This light green stone fragment, possibly turquoise, may have once been part of a pendant. It was recovered from the Killdeer site in Cowley County, a Lower Walnut focus Great Bend aspect site in Cowley County with numerous pits, basins and post molds. The Killdeer site was excavated during the Kansas Archeology Training Program field school in 1994 and later with Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew members. The people that inhabited Great Bend aspect sites are ancestral to the Wichita and affiliated tribes.


Pendant from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Pendant from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1888-1978
This pendant was recovered during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The pendant was struck on sheet brass and made by the Schwaab Stamp and Seal Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, founded in 1888 by Andrew Schwaab. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt, from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.


Pendant from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Pendant from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Unknown
This pendant was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The circular metal frame has nylon thread woven and tied in the center so as to form a web-like design. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Pipestone Pendant

Pipestone Pendant
Date: 1350-1850 CE
This pipestone or Catlinite pendant was found in Jefferson County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1999. The soft fine grain material enabled the pendant's carver to shape and smooth the piece, drill two holes for suspending the pendent, and to incise the fine lines that partially depict an image.


Showing 1 - 7

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.