Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1840s (1)
1854-1860 (6)
1861-1869 (4)
1870s (3)
1880s (3)
1890s (2)
1900s (1)
1910s (1)
1920s (1)
1930s (2)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's diesel engine Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company's diesel engine

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 735,254
Bookbag items: 39,858
Registered users: 12,168

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 41

Category Filters

Thematic Time Period - Trails, 1821 - 1880 - Oregon-California Trail

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 41 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Bloodletting Lancet from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Bloodletting Lancet from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1900
This lancet was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Lancets such as this one were used during bloodletting, or phlebotomy, a practice once thought to have beneficial results to one's health. The popularity of bloodletting began to decline in the mid-1800s and fell out of favor by the early twentieth century. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Bottle Base with a Pontil Scar from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Bottle Base with a Pontil Scar from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1910
This bottle base was recovered from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County during the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. The base shows a pontil scar, also called a ring pontil, that indicates the bottle was made using a blow pipe. This type of scar is common from the 1750s through the 1910s, though their frequency began to decline with the advent of bottle making machines in the 1880s. The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings.


Brooch Safety Pin from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Brooch Safety Pin from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This brooch pin was recovered from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County during the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. The pin is painted a bright light blue. The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings.


Bullets from Fort Harker, 14EW310

Bullets from Fort Harker, 14EW310
Date: 1867-1872
These lead bullets were recovered from Fort Harker during the 1996 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. The bullet in the top row is a .57 caliber and the three on the bottom row are all .44 caliber. Fort Harker was located adjacent to what was to become the town of Kanopolis in Ellsworth County.


Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These white glass buttons, all with assorted colors around and on their edges, were recovered during excavations at the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. They are more commonly called "china buttons." The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Crock Fragment from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Crock Fragment from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This crock fragment was recovered from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County during the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. The interior and exterior of the crock are covered with an Albany slip, a surface treatment that originated in New York State and was most popular from the late 19th- to early 20th centuries. The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings.


Decorated Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Decorated Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These glass and jet buttons were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Shown are buttons decorated with facets, molded lines, star bursts, floral patterns, and one with a raised copper floral pattern on top and around the edge. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Decorated Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Decorated Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These buttons were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Shown are glass, bone, hard rubber, and plastic buttons in a variety of colors. The button styles represented include shank, 2-hole, and 4-hole. The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Decorated Dish Fragments from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Decorated Dish Fragments from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These dish fragments were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. A wide variety of decorated dishes were recovered from the site with transferware, banded ware, and hand painted patterns. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Decorated Dish Fragments from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Decorated Dish Fragments from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These dish fragments were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. A wide variety of decorated dishes were recovered from the site including shell-edged, transferware, banded ware, hand painted, and Rockingham patterns. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Doll Fragments from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Doll Fragments from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These china and bisque doll fragments were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. The fragments represent at least four different dolls. Shown are fragments of four faces, three different legs, and two arms. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Dominoes from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Dominoes from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These dominoes were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. The larger domino may have been homemade. Dominoes are used in a variety of tile-based games. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Excavations at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Excavations at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1991
These black and white photographs were taken before and during the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Shown are a view of the Pony Express Station prior to being lifted off its foundation and after it was moved to the side so excavation could occur. Also shown are two progress views of the work during the field school, an ash covered, packed surface interpreted as an original dirt floor, room 6 after excavation, and a final view of the excavations. The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Flatware from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Flatware from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These spoon and handle fragments were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Though eroded, four different patterns of flatware are visible. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Flatware from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Flatware from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This knife and fork were recovered from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County in 1991. They were found below the station and may have been lost anytime during the buildings use as a home or station. The knife has lost all of its wooden handle, but the fork still retains traces of its wooden handle. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier, as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


"For Gentlemen" from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

"For Gentlemen" from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1900-1941
This button was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Wording on the button is "FOR GENTLEMEN" in addition to stars and swirls at the bottom. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


George Walter, History of Kanzas

George Walter, History of Kanzas
Creator: Walter, George
Date: 1855
This history was written by George Walter, agent for the New York Kanzas League. The purpose of the League was to assist individuals and families to emigrate to Kansas and help provides reduced prices and other assistance. The office of the New York Kanzas League was located on the 3rd floor of No. 110 Broadway, New York City. Walter provided the information he thought emigrants to Kansas would need including descriptions of the situation in the territory, its climate, soil, rivers, and native products. He also gave information about industry in Kansas Territory, particularly the milling industry. He provided information on routes and supplies needed as well as a copy of the reemption law. The text of the Bill to organize the territories of Kansas and Nebraska was included on pages 24 through 48 of the pamphlet.


Glass Bottle Stopper from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Glass Bottle Stopper from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This glass bottle stopper was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Bottle stoppers were essential to close bottles once they had been opened. Some bottle stoppers were meant to be disposable, while others such as this one could be reused. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Glass Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Glass Buttons from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
These glass buttons were recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. All are in the 4-hole dish style. The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Hairpin from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Hairpin from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1920
This metal hairpin was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Hairpins generally are long and are used to hold a person's hair in place. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


History of Kansas and emigrant's guide

History of Kansas and emigrant's guide
Creator: Chapman, J. Butler
Date: 1855
The title page of the printed volume indicated that it contained "a description geographical and topographical--also climate, soil, productions and comparative value with other states and territories, including its political history, officers-candidates-emigrant colonies-election, abolition, squatter and pro-slavery contentions and inquisitions; with the prospects of the territory for freedom or slavery." Mr. Chapman was a resident of the territory and the information in the booklet was compiled by traveling through Kansas Territory in 1854. The description covers most of the territory and includes information about Native American tribes and lands.


Hollenberg Pony Express Station Buttons, 14WH316

Hollenberg Pony Express Station Buttons, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
Several buttons were found during the 1991 excavations at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. One button fragment is made of shell and the rest are glass. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Jewelry from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Jewelry from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This jewelry was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Shown are a stick pin, a pin clasp, a brass and rhinestone flower, and a brass and marine shell pendant. A mother-of-pearl pin and a cameo ring complete the group. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Kansas : early routes, old trails, historic sites, landmarks, etc.

Kansas : early routes, old trails, historic sites, landmarks, etc.
Creator: Root, George A. (George Allen), 1867-1949
Date: 1939 December
This map, created by George Allen Root and later reproduced by the Kansas Turnpike Authority, depicts trails, landmarks, and historic sites in the state of Kansas. The original map was compiled by George Allen Root and delineated by W. M. Hutchinson from information obtained from the Kansas State Historical Society.


Key Plate from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Key Plate from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This key plate was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. The fancy plate allowed access to the lock tumblers by the key. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.