Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1800-1820 (2)
1840s (2)
1850s (1)
1854-1860 (5)
1861-1869 (9)
1870s (6)
1880s (4)
1890s (4)
1900s (4)
1910s (4)
1920s (29)
1930s (19)
1940s (1)
1950s (2)
1960s (1)
1980s (1)
2010s (6)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Homes and businesses in the area near the future site of the Topeka Boulevard bridge in Topeka, Kansas Homes and businesses in the area near the future site of the Topeka Boulevard bridge in Topeka, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 604,080
Bookbag items: 36,393
Registered users: 11,076

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 91

Category Filters

Thematic Time Period - Trails, 1821 - 1880 - Santa Fe Trail

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 91 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


.58 Caliber Minie Balls from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

.58 Caliber Minie Balls from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1855-1869
These five minie balls were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. The minie balls are .58 caliber, have three grease grooves and conical or hollow bases. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Act establishing commission for treaties with Osage Indians a creation of trail

Act establishing commission for treaties with Osage Indians a creation of trail
Date: March 3, 1825
This act was written establishing a commission to make treaties with the Osage Indians to create the Santa Fe Trail and treaties with the Osage tribes.


Arrival of the Caravan at Santa Fe

Arrival of the Caravan at Santa Fe
Date: Between 1844 and 1845
This illustration from Josiah Gregg's Commerce on the Prairies depicts a caravan of Americans arriving in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The Santa Fe Trail, opened in 1821 by William Bucknell, served as a freight route and passed through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and New Mexico.


As The Old Santa Fe Trail Looks Today

As The Old Santa Fe Trail Looks Today
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: 1930
This is a monograph by Louis Palenske, addressing the Old Santa Fe Trail as it looked in 1930 shortly after the author traveled the length of the trail by car, taking panoramic photographs along the route. Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Ball and Cone Earrings from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Ball and Cone Earrings from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
These three ball and cone earrings were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post, where these earrings were located, burned in 1868. Ball and cone earrings were a popular trade item. Two of these are missing their cones. The remaining cone has been flattened.


Bent's Fort, Colorado

Bent's Fort, Colorado
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: 1928-1938
This panorama was taken from Bent's Fort on the Old Santa Fe Trail, about nine miles west of Lamar, Colorado. In this view, looking west, we see the Arkansas River as well as the remains of old Fort Lyon. This photo was created by Louis Palenske using a Korona Panoramic View Camera. Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Bent's Fort, Colorado marker

Bent's Fort, Colorado marker
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: Around 1928
Louis Palenske photographed all of the points of historic interest along the Old Santa Fe Trail. This is his view of the historic marker at the location of Bent's Fort in southeastern Colorado on the Old Santa Fe Trail. On the reverse of the photo is written, "Marker designating the spot where old Bent's Fort stood. Built in 1828, destroyed in 1852. Photo by L. Palenske." Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1834-1843
This brass 4-hole sew through button was recovered at the Kaw Mission during the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. It was made by the Benedict & Burnham Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. The company produced brass buttons from 1834-1843. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Brass Plate from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Brass Plate from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
This brass plate was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The plate advertises "BEARD & BRO" of "ST. LOUIS, MO." This may be a reference to the Beard and Brother company of St. Louis, established in 1848, that manufactured safes, vaults, cotton ties, and a nut-lock for safes. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building within the post, where the plate was found, burned in 1868.


Brown and Desnoyers Shoe Company, Diamond Springs, Kansas

Brown and Desnoyers Shoe Company, Diamond Springs, Kansas
Date: 1880s
This photograph shows the exterior of a store selling boots and shoes in Diamond Springs, Kansas. The sign reads, "Brow[n & D]esnoyers Shoe Co. Boots/Shoes for sale here." A family of six, two men and a team of horses are visible in the photograph.


Buffalo hides in Dodge City, Kansas

Buffalo hides in Dodge City, Kansas
Date: April 4, 1874
This photograph, taken in Dodge City, Ford County, Kansas, shows a large pile of buffalo hides obtained from hunting expeditions in western Kansas. It is estimated that the pile contains around 40,000 hides. Charles Rath, who purchased the hides, is seated on the pile. The men in the background are operating a hide baling machine. Dodge City was located on the Santa Fe Trail. During the period in which these hides were gathered, American hunters decimated the bison heards in the West, leaving Native American tribes without one of their primary sources for food, clothing, and tools.


China Buttons from the Baker Store, 14MO701

China Buttons from the Baker Store, 14MO701
Date: 1862
These five china buttons were recovered from the Baker store in Morris County by Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school in 1973. Shown is a single 2-hole sew through button with a raised center and four plain 4-hole sew through buttons. The orange peel-like textures on the back of the buttons indicated they were made using the Prosser manufacturing process and post date the 1840s. The buttons and the artifact collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house, situated along the Santa Fe trail, were burned in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered at that time.


Clay Pipes from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Clay Pipes from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These two clay pipe bowls were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. Both bowls show some dottle, tobacco residue, indicating they had been smoked. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Council Grove, Kansas

Council Grove, Kansas
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: 1928-1938
This panorama of Council Grove, Kansas was photographed on Louis Palenske's photographic excursion on the Old Santa Fe Trail. At the left center of the photo one can see the easily recognizable farmers and Drovers Bank. Palenske created this photo with his Korona Panoramic View Camera. Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Counterweight from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Counterweight from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
This counterweight was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The counterweight may have been used for a scale. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building within the fort, where this counterweight was located, burned in 1868.


Crockery from the Baker Store, 14MO701

Crockery from the Baker Store, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This crock, which was reconstructed in the Archeology lab at the Kansas Historical Society, is made of glazed stoneware and was used for storing food. It is labeled as a three-gallon crock and has a leaf decoration. The crock fragments were recovered from the Baker Store in Morris County by Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school in 1973. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house, situated along the Santa Fe trail, were burned in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered during the event.


Crossing the Plains, the journal of Harriett Bidwell Shaw

Crossing the Plains, the journal of Harriett Bidwell Shaw
Creator: Shaw, Harriet Bidwell
Date: 1851
Harriett Bidwell Shaw started a journal in September 18,1851, when she and her husband, Reverend James Milton Shaw traveled in a wagon train via the Santa Fe Trail to New Mexico. Harriett was the only woman to accompany the wagon train. She documented their daily activities, the weather conditions, hardships on the trail, encounters with Indians, and buffalo hunting. When the Shaws passed through Kansas they stayed at Shawnee Baptist Mission, Council Grove, and Pawnee Rock and stopped near Fort Mackey on the Arkansas river. They reached Santa Fe on November 14, 1851, where the journal ends. The Shaws eventually went to Albuquerque and then Socorro to establish Baptist missions among the Spanish people. In sum, Shaws journal presents a remarkable picture of the difficulties and rewards of travel to the American West prior to the American Civil War.


Dodge City, Kansas

Dodge City, Kansas
Creator: Knight, J. Lee
Date: 1872
This photograph of a street scene in Dodge City, in Ford County, depicts three of the town's buildings. The building on the left was the first dance hall in Dodge City, owned by a man named Jones. The second building was a grocery and general store owned by George O. Smith and J. B. Edwards, and the third building, also a general store, was owned by a man named Wolf. Also visible are a crowd of men standing in the street, and two horse-drawn wagons loaded with buffalo hides. Dodge City is located on the Santa Fe Trail in western Kansas.


Dr. Woodworth residence, Council Grove, Kansas

Dr. Woodworth residence, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1870s
This photo-postcard shows the residence of Dr. Woodworth in Council Grove, Kansas. The handwritten description states that the yard was "full of choice shrubs and bulbs! In 1880 the bulbs would persist in showing themselves every spring."


Dress Buttons from the Baker Store, 14MO701

Dress Buttons from the Baker Store, 14MO701
Date: 1862
These three black glass buttons were recovered during excavations in 1973 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school at the Baker Store in Morris County. The decorated buttons have loop style attachments and may have been made for ladies clothing. The Baker Store artifact collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house, situated along the Santa Fe trail, were burned in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered at that time.


Fort Lyon and Fort Union

Fort Lyon and Fort Union
Creator: Riddle, J. R.
Date: Between 1886 and 1890
These are views of soldiers and buildings at Fort Lyon, Colorado, and Fort Union, New Mexico. Fort Lyon was active from 1868 through 1888. It was laid out as a typical 19th-century western military fort possessing a central parade ground surrounded by officers' row in the north, company quarters on the east and west, and the headquarters building to the south. Fort Union was established in 1851 as the guardian of the Santa Fe Trail. During it's forty-year history, three different forts were constructed close together. The third Fort Union was the largest in the American Southwest and functioned as a military garrison, territorial arsenal, and military supply depot for the southwest.


Fort Osage, Missouri

Fort Osage, Missouri
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: 1928-1938
Two unidentified men stand near the ruins of Fort Osage, Missouri, with the Missouri River in the background. Louis Palenske took this photo with his Korona Panoramic View Camera while on his photographic excursion along the Old Santa Fe Trail. Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Fort Union Ruins, Watrous, New Mexico

Fort Union Ruins, Watrous, New Mexico
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: Around 1928
Louis Palenske photographed the ruins at Fort Union at Watrous, New Mexico while on his photographic excursion along the Old Santa Fe Trail. On the reverse of the image is written, "Ruins of Fort Union. Photo by L. Palenske" Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Fort Union Ruins, Watrous, New Mexico

Fort Union Ruins, Watrous, New Mexico
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: Around 1928
Louis Palenske photographed the ruins at Fort Union at Watrous, New Mexico while on his photographic excursion along the Old Santa Fe Trail. On the reverse of the image is written, "Ruins of Fort Union. This shows ruins of the old hospital building." Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Fort Union Ruins, Watrous, New Mexico

Fort Union Ruins, Watrous, New Mexico
Creator: Palenske, Louis F., 1858-1943
Date: Around 1928
Louis Palenske photographed the ruins at Fort Union at Watrous, New Mexico while on his photographic excursion along the Old Santa Fe Trail. On the reverse of the image is written, "Ruins of Fort Union. Photo by L. Palenske" Funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission through the Kansas State Historical Records Advisory Board.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.