Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1861-1869 (3)
1870s (4)
1880s (11)
1890s (9)
1900s (9)
1910s (15)
1920s (6)
1930s (10)
1940s (6)
1950s (15)
1960s (18)
1970s (7)
1980s (1)
1990s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Mount Marty yearbook, 1925, Rosedale, Kansas Mount Marty yearbook, 1925, Rosedale, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 602,371
Bookbag items: 36,268
Registered users: 11,025

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 92

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Recreational Artifacts - Toy

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 92 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


African American doll

African American doll
Date: between 1937 and 1945
Handmade African American cotton cloth doll. The doll has short, black yarn hair, and her facial features are embroidered. She wears a simple light green cotton dress. The donor received the doll when she was a child from an African American neighbor. Her family lived in Topeka at the time of her birth in 1937. They left Topeka for California in 1946. She believes that she received the doll between the time of her birth and her fourth birthday.


Apache Doll in Cradleboard

Apache Doll in Cradleboard
Date: Between 1900 and 1968
This Apache doll in its cradleboard was donated first to the Highland Mission (now called the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission) and then to the Kansas Historical Society in 1968. The doll has a face drawn with ink and black yarn for hair. She is tucked into the cradleboard with a white velvet blanket. The cradleboard is covered in finely tanned leather and trimmed in sequins and beads of assorted colors and shapes.


Architectural building blocks

Architectural building blocks
Creator: American Manufacturing Concern
Date: 1914
The American Manufacturing Concern in Jamestown, New York made these wooden building blocks. Alice Elizabeth Bouse (1912-2002) of Centralia, Kansas received the set as a Christmas gift in 1914.


Astro Captain mechanical toy

Astro Captain mechanical toy
Creator: Mego
Date: between 1950 and 1970
The Astro Captain's plastic arms and tin legs move when wind up key is wound. It is mostly made of tin and was made in Japan by DAIYA and imported and distributed by MEGO. It was made between 1955 and 1970. Japan dominated the production of toy robots after World War II. The U.S. "Space Race" to explore the solar system in the late 1950's to early 1970's generated huge public interest and a large market for space related products.


Autograph dog

Autograph dog
Date: 1960
Stuffed dog made of heavy white cotton fabric. The dog has a dachshund-like shape, with short legs, a long body, and droopy ears. Facial features are painted in black. The donor received the dog as gift from a family friend, who probably purchased it at a store in Marysville, Kansas. The donor received most of the autographs while attending a Brownie Day Camp held in Marysville during the summer of 1960. Her family was preparing to move to New York, and her Brownie friends signed the dog. The most notable signature on the dog is that of Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, who was the basketball coach at the University of Kansas from 1919 to 1956. The donor's father played under Allen while attending KU in the late 1920s. He visited the family before they moved and signed the dog.


Bisque Doll from 14GR301

Bisque Doll from 14GR301
Date: Unknown
This bisque doll head and body was recovered from the Curry site in Greenwood County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. The Curry site was a multicomponent (multiple occupations) site occupied periodically during the Archaic, Early Ceramic and Middle Ceramic Periods. However, this doll shows that there was also modern material recovered at the site. The doll had jointed arms and legs and may have once had a painted face and hair, though, if so, no trace remains.


Building blocks

Building blocks
Creator: F. Ad. Richter & Co.
Date: between 1880 and 1900
Richter's Anchor [Anker] Box Containing Building Stones. Box No. 13. Contains 259 cast stone building blocks in three colors. Also includes wooden box with sliding lid and lift-out tray and five instruction books and sheets. The F. Ad. Richter & Co. first produced Anker blocks in the factory in Rudolstadt, Germany in 1880. The blocks were very successful, thanks in part to Richter's aggressive and innovative marketing, and were soon sold across Europe and America.


Cast Iron Horse from the Shawnee Methodist Mission, 14JO362

Cast Iron Horse from the Shawnee Methodist Mission, 14JO362
Date: 1890-1934
This cast iron horse was recovered from excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew at the Shawnee Indian Mission in Johnson County. The Mission was established in 1839 and operated as a school until 1854. It then passed into private ownership and served different functions until it was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1927. Cast iron toys, like this half of a horse, were usually mass produced. This toy was cleaned by electrolysis which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact.


Clay Marble from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Clay Marble from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1951
This clay marble was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The clay marble is the size called "commies" or common and represents hours of fun. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Construction set

Construction set
Date: between 1880 and 1900
This set of wooden blocks was owned by Mary Josephine Patterson Hambleton (b. 1879) and later given to her son, Philip Newton Hambleton (1910-1991). They were used in Lincoln, Le Roy and Topeka, Kansas.


Construction set

Construction set
Creator: G.B. Lewis Company
Date: 1931
This set consists of wood pieces, and a book of objects you can build with the set. It was made by the G.B. Lewis Company in Watertown Wisconsin in 1931. They were primarily a lumber company and used that as a selling point.


Cracker-Jack clown

Cracker-Jack clown
Creator: Albert Schoenhut Company
Date: between 1905 and 1910
This Cracker-Jack clown has a jointed wooden body, molded head and hand-painted features. It was sold as an accessory set for the Humpty-Dumpty circus created by Albert Shoenhut.


Dick Tracy two-way wrist radio

Dick Tracy two-way wrist radio
Creator: American Doll & Toy Corporation
Date: between 1946 and 1964
This set includes instructions, two black plastic powerpacks with buttons for transmission, and a plastic wrist radio with a synthetic strap and speaker. It was made between 1946 and 1970 by The American Doll & Toy Corp. Dick Tracy is a long-running comic strip character. The police detective was created by Chester Gould in 1931. His now iconic 2-way wrist radio premiered in 1946 and was replaced with a 2-way wrist TV in 1964.


Doll

Doll
Date: 1886
Bisque doll with blond hair wearing a tan dress and stockings, leather shoes, and two beaded necklaces. Marked "166 2" on back of shoulders. Belonged to Helena Olivia Lassen (1878-1969) of Atchison. Her father emmigrated from Denmark in 1865, and the doll was sent to her by relatives still in Denmark when she was eight years old. The clothes were sewn by a relative in Denmark, and the necklaces were added by Helena.


Doll Arm from 14OT323

Doll Arm from 14OT323
Date: 1880-1940
This bisque tie-on doll arm was recovered from the Ottawa County archeological site. The arm measures 2 1/4" long and, while difficult to ascertain, appears to represent a left arm and hand. The site probably marked the spot of a vanished farmstead. Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society visited the site in 1993 during a Highway survey project.


Doll Fragments from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372

Doll Fragments from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372
Date: 1850-1920
These four doll fragments were collected from the Plowboy site in Shawnee County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2017. Shown are a porcelain lower leg and foot with a ladies high heel shoe, a porcelain ear, and a porcelain leg and arm. The leg was reconstructed by the donor. The Plowboy site was home to the Kansa, the Potawatomi, and Euro-Americans. At various times, the site contained a farm, a trading post, and a post office with nearby military trails, Mormon routes, a railroad and the California-Oregon trail.


Doll Fragments from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102

Doll Fragments from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102
Date: 1877-1910
These five porcelain doll fragments were recovered from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout site during the 2006 excavations by Washburn University and the 2007 Kansas Archeology Training Program. The collections from Washburn University were later donated to the Kansas Historical Society. The fragments include a portion of black hair & eyebrows along with a portion of the doll's face, a fragment of a doll's left hand and three pink cheek fragments. This domestic site was related to the settlement of Nicodemus, Kansas, an all black community in western Kansas.


Doll Head from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Doll Head from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This china doll head was excavated in 1966 at Fort Hays in Ellis County. China doll heads are described by their hair style. This doll, with her center parted hair and comb marks on the side most resembles those of the 1850s and 1860s. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Doll in a Cradleboard

Doll in a Cradleboard
Date: Unknown
This doll in a cradleboard was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1980. The doll's face was drawn with colored pencils and has black yarn hair. It is wrapped in a dark blue wool blanket remnant, with a trade blanket type pattern. The cradleboard and U-shaped framing above the doll's head are also decorated in the dark blue wool with green, red, pink and blue small round "seed" beads. Above the doll's head hangs two brass bells and a small beaded figure that may be an owl.


Erector set

Erector set
Creator: A.C. Gilbert Company
Date: 1935
This erector set of steel and iron parts in a cardboard box was made in 1935. The Erector Set was created by A.C. Gilbert and marketed by him in 1913. William Kvicala received this set as a gift between 1936 and 1940. William grew up in Nortonville, Kansas.


French Yerri doll

French Yerri doll
Creator: Hansi
Date: 1918
A French Yerri doll purchased by a U.S. nurse during WWI. The doll is wearing a traditional Alsatian costume and a black fur hat. This Yerri doll was created in 1918 by French artist Hansi, to commemorate the recapture of Alsace at the end of WWI. The donor, Martha E. Keaton, purchased this particular doll while she was stationed in Langres, France as a nurse in 1918 during WWI. Keaton served at Base Hospital 53 in Langres until returning to Kansas in 1919.


Girl and doll

Girl and doll
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This black and white photograph shows a young girl with a big bow in her hair, informally posing with a doll and doll carriage. There is also a parasol over the doll carriage. The photograph is taken outside in a yard.


Girl with dolls

Girl with dolls
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This black and white photograph shows a young girl dressed in formal clothing with her dolls in a garden setting. One doll is in a doll buggy and the little girl is holding a smaller doll.


Glass Marble from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop, 14JO356

Glass Marble from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop, 14JO356
Date: 1858-1886
This clear glass marble with an orange swirl, called a swirly, was recovered during excavations in 1988 during a joint venture between Kansas Historical Society archeologists, Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers, and the City of Olathe. Glass marbles were first produced in Germany in 1846, but mass production in the United State began in the 1890s. This marble may represent a later time period at the site. The site consisted of the residence and out buildings built by James and Lucinda Mahaffie in 1858. The farmstead later served as a stagecoach stop on the Santa Fe trail.


Hand Sewn Doll

Hand Sewn Doll
Date: Unknown
This hand sewn doll was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1963. Her body is made of cotton stuffed muslin, her facial features were embroidered with black cotton thread, and her hair is made of loosely woven black material. Her clothing is decorated with both seed beads (smaller) and pony beads (larger) of assorted colors. The doll's high topped cowhide boots still have the cow hair on the soles. The boots also have unusual upturned toes.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.