Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1861-1869 (3)
1880s (1)
1900s (2)
1910s (4)
1920s (2)
1930s (1)
1940s (8)
1950s (2)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

C. F. Menninger Memorial Hospital, Topeka, Kansas C. F. Menninger Memorial Hospital, Topeka, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 735,283
Bookbag items: 40,027
Registered users: 12,207

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 36

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Toilet Article

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 36 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301

B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1882
This toothbrush was recovered during excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The toothbrush has holes drilled in its head for inserting stiff bristles (often hog bristles). The toothbrush was manufactured for B. Altman and Company, a luxury department store chain founded in New York City in 1865. It measures 6 1/2" long by 5/8" wide. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Bears Grease Jar Lid from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Bears Grease Jar Lid from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This lid from a jar of Bears Grease hair conditioner was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. The lid reads "Genuine BEARS GREASE (For T)he Hair PREPARED BY JULES HAUEL Perfumer 120 Chestnut St. PHILADELPHIA." Hauel was listed as being located at the 120 Chestnut Street address until 1854 when he moved. He continued to make the Bears Grease product until 1865.


Chamber pot

Chamber pot
Creator: Hanley Pottery
Date: between 1900 and 1913
Ceramic chamber pot, part of a multi-piece toilet set made by Johnson Brother Pottery, England. Flow blue pattern with raised foliate designs. Johnson Brothers was one of the largest earthenware manufacturers. The under-glaze flow blue print on this piece was their major product prior to World War I. The toilet set belonged to the Edwin W. Davis family of Leavenworth, Kansas.


Comb

Comb
Date: between 1941 and 1945
Small black plastic comb. Colonel James C. Hughes used this comb while being held as a Japanese Prisoner of War during World War II. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. During the latter conflict, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Comb Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Comb Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These lice comb fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. Lice combs like these have long fine metal teeth used to remove lice infestations from the hair. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Compact Lid from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Compact Lid from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1900-1970
This compact lid was recovered during excavations at Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. Compacts, also called a powder box or case, often had a mirror in the lid. The building was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.


Dr. D. Jayne's Tonic Vermifuge Bottle

Dr. D. Jayne's Tonic Vermifuge Bottle
Date: 1916-1929
This bottle was found at a multicomponent site in Osage County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2014. Archeologists use the term multicomponent to indicate a site has been occupied periodically throughout time. At this site, artifacts indicate intermittent occupations from the Archaic, Early Ceramic, and Middle Ceramic Periods in addition to a modern occupation. The wording on the patent medicine bottle of Tonic Vermifuge proclaims it to be made by Dr. D. Jayne's of Philadelphia. A bottle maker's mark on the bottom shows that the bottle was made by the Illinois Glass Company between 1916-1929.


Electric hairbrush

Electric hairbrush
Creator: Pall Mall Electric Association
Date: between 1904 and 1910
Dr. Scott's Electric Hair Brush. Ornately decorated blue-green hard rubber brush with black bristles. Also includes the original carboard box and enclosed catalog. George August Scott's hairbrushes and other "electric" devices were widely popular in the United States throughout the 1880s. The handles of the brushes were embedded with a slightly magnetized iron or steel rod, and they were often packaged with a small compass to demonstrate their power. Scott's company, the Pall Mall Electric Association, was based in London, although they also had offices in New York.


Franco American Hygienic Company Jar from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327

Franco American Hygienic Company Jar from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327
Date: 1889-1912
This jar was recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. One side of the jar has the advertising: "FRANCO AMERICAN HYGIENIC CO. CHICAGO." The jar likely held face cream or some other toiletry product.


Hairpin from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Hairpin from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1920
This metal hairpin was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Hairpins generally are long and are used to hold a person's hair in place. The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Hand mirror

Hand mirror
Date: between 1941 and 1945
Small mirror in celluloid case. Hinged metal stand attached to the back. The mirror has a Japanese label on the back. It was housed in a wooden Red Cross box, presumably to transport it without breaking it. Colonel James C. Hughes acquired this mirror while being held as a Prisoner of War (POW) by the Japanese during World War II. The label on the back indicates that he probably purchased it at an exchange or canteen in one of the camps. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. In 1942, he was captured by the Japanese on the Bataan peninsula and spent the next 41 months in various Japanese POW camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Hand Mirror from the Jacob Creek Site, 14CS701

Hand Mirror from the Jacob Creek Site, 14CS701
Date: 1880-1950
These hand mirror fragments were recovered from a farmstead in Chase County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2005. The handle and frame for the mirror is brass decorated in a floral pattern. The site was excavated in 1980 during the Emporia State University's archaeological field school.


Ivory or Bone Comb from the Mine Creek Civil War Battlefield, 14LN337

Ivory or Bone Comb from the Mine Creek Civil War Battlefield, 14LN337
Date: Unknown
This complete ivory or bone comb was recovered from the Mine Creek Civil War Battlefield in Linn County during a 1990 survey by Kansas Historical Society Archeologists. On October 25, 1864 Union and Confederate forces fought one of the largest cavalry battles in the Civil War at this site. The comb, however, was recovered from near the farmstead on the property and may post date the battle.


Jaciel Compact Case from the Martindale Cabin, 14GR332

Jaciel Compact Case from the Martindale Cabin, 14GR332
Date: 1928-1934
This brass compact case was recovered from the Martindale Cabin in Greenwood County. One side of the brass compact has a stamped butterfly motif and the other has the word "Jaciel." The Jaciel brand cosmetics line was manufactured by the Nordia Company for the J. C. Penney Company from 1928 to 1934. The case once contained face powder. The Martindale Cabin was built of stone for William Martindale in 1857 and was occupied by the Martindale family until 1869. Later the cabin was used for both living and storage purposes.


Lice Comb from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Lice Comb from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This lice comb was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. Lice combs have tightly spaced teeth to remove the lice nits from the hair and scalp. A partial manufacturer's name is visible: "U. COMB CO." The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Marvelous Cold Cream Jar from the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association Dump, 14SH379

Marvelous Cold Cream Jar from the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association Dump, 14SH379
Date: 1919-1950
This jar of "Marvelous Cold Cream" was recovered from the dump at the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association in Shawnee County. The brand was first created by Richard Hudnut (of New York and Paris), and though his company was sold in 1914 the cold cream still bore his stamp. Old advertisements guarantee the cold cream will not promote the growth of down. Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association, begun in 1916, eventually included a hospital, a cooperative farm, a school, a hotel, and provided homes for orphans and the elderly.


Pond's Cream Jar from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop, 14JO356

Pond's Cream Jar from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop, 14JO356
Date: 1858-1886
This milk glass jar and lid of Pond's Cream was recovered during excavations in 1988 during a joint venture between Kansas Historical Society archeologists, Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers, and the City of Olathe. This artifact has the original cap with paper lining, though the company mark is no longer viewable. The site consists of the residence and out buildings built by James and Lucinda Mahaffie in 1858. The farmstead later served as a stagecoach stop on the Santa Fe trail. Pond's Cream has been manufactured since 1846.


Pond's Extract Company Jar from the Jacob Creek Site, 14CS701

Pond's Extract Company Jar from the Jacob Creek Site, 14CS701
Date: 1914-1955
This Pond's face cream jar was recovered from a farmstead in Chase County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2005. The jar contained either Pond's Cold Cream or Pond's Vanishing Cream. The product was made by the Pond's Extract Company of New York, New York with the company's intertwined initials appearing on the lid. The site was excavated in 1980 during the Emporia State University's archaeological field school.


Razor

Razor
Date: between 1942 and 1945
Col. James C. Hughes acquired this razor while being held as a Japanese Prisoner of War during World War II. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. During the latter conflict, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. The "56" printed on the paper inside the case referes to the prisoner number Hughes wore between 1942 and 1943 while in Karenko, a camp for high-ranking officers in Taiwan. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Razor

Razor
Date: between 1942 and 1945
Col. James C. Hughes acquired this razor while being held as a Japanese Prisoner of War during World War II. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. During the latter conflict, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Scalp Food Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Scalp Food Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1897-1921
This aqua patent medicine bottle was recovered during excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The advertising on the bottle states that it contained "SCALP FOOD CRANITONIC HAIR FOOD" made by the "CRANITONIC HAIR FOOD CO." of "PARIS LONDON NEW YORK." As the bottle dates to a later time than the fort's occupation it may have been part of a dumping episode. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Scissor Fragment from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403

Scissor Fragment from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403
Date: 1867
This scissor half was recovered from the Village on the Pawnee Fork in Ness County during excavations in 1977. The artifact was cleaned by electrolysis which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. It was in 1867 that the village of several hundred Southern Cheyenne and Southern Teton Oglala was destroyed by order of Major General Winifred S. Hancock. The site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Secret Deodorant Jar

Secret Deodorant Jar
Date: 1956-1958
This Secret Deodorant jar was recovered from a farmstead site in Montgomery County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. In addition to the name brand "Secret" and the floral design, the lid carries ingredient information and directions: "APPLY TO ENTIRE UNDERARM. LET DRY. GENTLE TO NORMAL SKIN. KEEP CAP ON TIGHT. DO NOT APPLY TO BROKEN SKIN. IF A RASH DEVELOPS DISCONTINUE USE." Secret deodorant was manufactured by Proctor and Gamble first in 1956. Roll-on deodorant was first manufactured in 1958, but the cream may have continued in use for some time after that.


Tiny Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Tiny Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
A small bottle, such as this one, may have once held medicine or perfume. It was recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Toilet Paper

Toilet Paper
Creator: Robinson, David
Date: 1918
Single square of two-ply toilet paper. Before the time of donation, it was found in a desk drawer in the city light plant in Ellinwood, Kansas. A portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm II wearing a spiked military helmet is printed in red ink on the paper. The image is identical to those used to promote the 1918 anti-German film "The Kaiser, the Beast of Berlin." It is unclear whether the toilet paper was made specifically to promote the movie or if it was simply inspired by the film. Newspapers indicate the movie was shown at the Knights of Columbus Opera House in Ellinwood on May 7 and/or 8, 1918. It was scheduled to be shown at the Echo Theater in Great Bend on May 15-16, 1918, but was rescheduled to May 22-23, 1918. The movie was heavily advertised in local papers for serveral weeks leading up to the showings.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.