Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1800-1819 (1)
1840s (3)
1850s (4)
1854-1860 (3)
1861-1869 (16)
1870s (8)
1880s (7)
1890s (8)
1900s (6)
1910s (5)
1920s (3)
1930s (1)
1940s (13)
1970s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union memory book Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union memory book

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 730,632
Bookbag items: 37,731
Registered users: 11,556

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 94

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Personal Gear

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 94 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1844
This quarter was minted in 1844 in New Orleans. It was recovered from the site of the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program, the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. It shows a seated Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1853 Half Dime from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

1853 Half Dime from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1853-1868
This silver half dime was recovered from Fort Zarah during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The obverse side shows a Seated Liberty with her right hand resting on a striped shield and her left hand holding a Liberty pole. Six-pointed stars surround Liberty and arrows are present on each side of the date of 1853. The reverse side has the words "HALF DIME" and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" surrounded by a wreath of laurel leaves. Fort Zarah, located along the Santa Fe trail in Barton County, was active from 1864 to 1869.


1856 One-Cent Coin from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

1856 One-Cent Coin from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1856-1872
This one-cent coin was found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation and was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The obverse of the coin shows Liberty with braided hair surrounded by stars and the date 1856. The reverse side shows an oak leaf wreath surrounding the words "ONE CENT." Large one-cent coins were discontinued in 1857 and replaced with smaller one-cent coins of the size we use today. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1876
The 1876 penny was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The penny, sometimes called an Indian Head cent or Indian Head penny shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.


Antoine Barada's Parfleche

Antoine Barada's Parfleche
Date: 1861
Parfleches, like this one, were generally made of a dried buffalo hide that had been stretched and shaped to form a bag or container. This parfleche, donated to the Kansas Historical Society, was made for Antoine or Antonine Barada, 1807-1885, son of an Omaha mother and a French-American fur trapper and interpreter. Barada was something of a local folk hero in Nebraska, credited with feats of strength. The parfleche is decorated with a painted red, black and yellow geometric pattern on the front and back. The inner closure flap has "A. Barada 1861" in pencil. The seams are sewn with sinew.


Arapaho Quillwork Bag

Arapaho Quillwork Bag
Date: Unknown
This buffalo hide bag or pouch entered the Kansas Historical Society's collection in 1956. The records indicate it was Arapaho in origin. The bag is edged with a calico binding and leather thongs. Both sides have five rows porcupine quills dyed purple and yellow. The bag is 3 3/4" x 3".


Army duffel bag

Army duffel bag
Date: between 1943 and 1946
U.S. Army duffle bag. Carried by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701

Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1972
Shown are five views of cleaned and reconstructed artifacts from the excavations at the Baker house in Morris County. Shown are a tablesetting, smoking pipes, a tintype frame, a bowl and pitcher, and a grouping of scissors, needle, thimble, and lens from a pair of spectacles. The slides were processed in 1972. The artifact collection, along with these photographs, was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The excavation was undertaken by Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) in 1972. The Baker house and nearby store were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Beaded Bag

Beaded Bag
Date: Unknown
This beaded leather bag was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1920. The bag measures 3 1/2" by 6" and the beads are sewn on with sinew, a tough tendon or ligament tissue. The red, dark blue, medium blue, green and white beads form a geometric pattern on the front, sides and flap. There are 26 tinklers attached to leathered thongs along the lower edge. Two more tinklers are attached on each side of the upper edge. The back of the bag is leather that has been dyed red.


Beaded Cushion Top

Beaded Cushion Top
Date: Unknown
This beaded top of a cushion was donated to the Kansas Historical Society and may have a Kaw or Kansa association. The beading was done on maroon wool. The edges have scalloped green, clear, and blue beads with a border of blue, red, clear and green beads. The floral pattern on top has purple, blue, green, clear, gold, white and red beads. Kaw Mission was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Canteen

Canteen
Date: between 1861 and 1865
Kidney-shaped metal filter canteen dating from the Civil War. Sergeant William W. Dimond used this canteen during his service with Co. G of the 83rd Pennsylvania Infantry. Dimond had this canteen with him when he was injured at Malvern Hill, Virginia. He was discharged in 1863 and eventually moved to Downs, Kansas.


Canteen

Canteen
Date: between 1861 and 1864
Wooden drum canteen, taken by Union Captain John C. Collins from a Confederate soldier during the Battle at Laurel Creek, West Virginia, on February 15th, 1864. Collins commanded the 14th Kentucky Infantry's companies B, H, and G during this battle. The inscribed initials SAA are probably those of the soldier who originally owned this canteen. After the war, Collins moved to Richland, Kansas, with his wife. They farmed and had nine children.


Carry Nation's cane

Carry Nation's cane
Date: between 1890 and 1899
Carry A. Nation, a nationally recognized temperance advocate, used this unfinished wooden cane. Nation, a resident of Medicine Lodge, Kansas, achieved infamy for attacking saloons with a hatchet to discourage drinking. She was frequently jailed for vandalism. Later in life, Nation donated many items to the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, including this cane.


Carry Nation's purse

Carry Nation's purse
Date: between 1860 and 1911
Carry Nation carried this purse for many public appearances and was photographed with it on several occasions. In her autobiography, entitled The Life of Carry A. Nation, the author refers to a "leather case" that is almost certainly the same bag.


Carter's Ink Bottle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Carter's Ink Bottle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1890-1920
This brown glass ink bottle was recovered during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The ink bottle has a conical body, tooled double ring finish, and traces of a paper label. Embossed on the bottle bottom is the bottle mold number and "CARTER'S," indicating it was manufactured for the Carter Ink Company (1858-1976). The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt, from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.


Ceramic Pipe Bowl from the Paint Creek Site, 14MP1

Ceramic Pipe Bowl from the Paint Creek Site, 14MP1
Date: 1500-1800 CE
This ceramic pipe bowl was found at the Paint Creek village in McPherson County, Kansas. There are no traces of tobacco residue within the bowl. The pipe bowl was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1971. The Paint Creek site is part of the Little River focus of the Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita), whose people practiced fishing, hunting, gathering, and agriculture.


Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
These pipe stem and bowl fragments were recovered from Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the location of the original fort building. The top row shows three glazed pipe bowls. The upper right pipe bowl is a fragment of a Presidential pipe. Based on the remnant of hair and right eye it depicts President Ulysses S. Grant and was made and distributed from 1865 to 1870. The bottom row shows an unglazed bowl, a decorated bowl and stem fragment, and a stem fragment. Fort Zarah was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.


Ceramic Pipe from the Ade Site, 14MP311

Ceramic Pipe from the Ade Site, 14MP311
Date: 1850-1900
This pipe fragment was collected from a multicomponent site in McPherson County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2004. Most of the artifacts from this site dated to the Middle Ceramic and Late Ceramic periods, but this artifact is firmly into the Historic Period. Only the stem end of the pipe remains. It shows no traces of having been smoked.


Ceramic Pipe Stem from 14MY349

Ceramic Pipe Stem from 14MY349
Date: Unknown
This pipe stem was recovered from a multicomponent site in Montgomery County with both Historic and Early Ceramic period artifacts. The pipe was made with a two part mold and has diagonal lines on both sides. The site has been much impacted by pot hunters and a reservoir.


Change purse

Change purse
Date: between 1870 and 1895
Small half-round leather coin purse with metal snap frame. Interior is fitted with smaller fixed purse, creating a total of three compartments. Hinged nickel-plated metal frame with brass snap lock. This coin purse belonged to James Burnett Abbott, an early arrival in Kansas Territory. Abbott came to Lawrence with other New England abolitionists in 1854 and became involved in efforts to make Kansas a free state. He joined the militia and participated in the Battle of Black Jack and the 1856 defense of Lawrence. While agent to the Shawnee tribe, he led a party of them in the Price Raid of 1864. Abbott served in the first Kansas House of Representatives and later as a state senator.


Children's Scissors from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Children's Scissors from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1856-1986
This pair of right-handed children's scissors was recovered from Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. Children's scissors have several safety features such as blunt tips, a blade that is shorter and less sharp, and a smaller size to fit little fingers. The building, named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution, is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace the building's construction history prior to renovation.


Coins and Coin Purse from the Martindale Cabin, 14GR332

Coins and Coin Purse from the Martindale Cabin, 14GR332
Date: 1859-1942
This copper chain-link coin purse and clasp along with four coins were recovered separately from excavations at the Martindale Cabin site in Greenwood County. The earliest coin was an 1859 Indian Head penny with a perforation on top allowing it to be worn on a necklace or bracelet. The other coins were an 1865 two-cent piece, an 1873 Indian Head penny, and a 1942 Mercury dime. The cabin, home to William and Sallie Martindale, was built in 1857.


Coins from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Coins from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1878-1909
These coins were recovered during the 1990 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The pennies, sometimes called an Indian Head cents or Indian Head pennies, shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The coin on the left was minted in 1865 and coin on the right in 1890. The sheep ranch was established by Abraham Pratt, from Yorkshire, England, in 1878. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Coins from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Coins from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1868
Both of these coins were recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. One is a shield nickel minted in 1868. The obverse side shows a shield representing the United States, while the reverse side shows the denomination surrounded by stars. The other coin, also minted in 1868, is an Indian head penny. The obverse side shows Liberty with a head dress, while the reverse side depicts a laurel wreath. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1854-1864
Shown are two coins that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. The 1854 half dime shows a seated Liberty, 13 stars, and an arrow on each side of the year on the obverse side. The arrows indicate that that the coin weight had been reduced. The reverse of the half dime shows the face value of the coin, a wreath, and the words "UNITED STATES of AMERICA." The 2¢ coin's obverse side shows a shield with "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the banner and the mint date of 1864. The reverse side is too corroded to discern what was present.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.