Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1800-1819 (1)
1830s (1)
1840s (2)
1850s (2)
1854-1860 (6)
1861-1869 (11)
1870s (6)
1880s (4)
1890s (15)
1900s (15)
1910s (8)
1920s (12)
1930s (11)
1940s (22)
1950s (14)
1960s (12)
1970s (4)
1980s (2)
2000s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Richardson photograph collection Richardson photograph collection

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 731,901
Bookbag items: 38,003
Registered users: 11,663

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 190

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Clothing

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 190 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Admiral John E. Gingrich's hat

Admiral John E. Gingrich's hat
Creator: Unt Rankin Leather Company
Date: between 1945 and 1947
This U.S. Navy full dress bicorne hat belonged to Admiral John Edward Gingrich (1897-1960). Gingrich was born in Dodge City, Kansas. He attended the University of Kansas and graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1919. As Captain of the cruiser Pittsburgh in 1945, he received a silver star for assisting the crippled aircraft carrier Franklin. He also received a Legion of Merit and gold star for safely sailing his cruiser following severe typhoon damage in June 1945. Gingrich promoted to Rear Admiral late in 1945. In 1947, he became the first director of the Division of Security and Intelligence at the Atomic Energy Commission. Gingrich commanded the Blockade and Escort Force in 1952, for which he received the Distinguished Service Medal. He retired in 1954 with the rank of four-star Admiral. He died in New York City in 1960.


Alfred Landon campaign button cap

Alfred Landon campaign button cap
Date: 1936
Beige cap covered with campaigns buttons promoting the 1936 Presidential campaign of Alfred Landon and William Knox. Landon served as governor of Kansas from 1933-1937.


Apron

Apron
Date: between 1918 and 1919
White linen apron. Mid-length skirt. Short bib without neck strap. Worn by Marie Inez Walker (1899-1974) while working at Topeka's Cremerie Restaurant from 1918 to 1919. The Cremerie (occasionally advertised as The Creamerie) first opened on the 700 block of Kansas Avenue in Topeka in June of 1892. It continued operations until about 1934, going through several remodels, moves, and reorganizations during that time.


Army Air Force uniform

Army Air Force uniform
Creator: Sol Frank Military Supply Co.
Date: between 1940 and 1945
United States Army officer's uniform. The uniform is made of lightweight, khaki-colored wool. An Army Air Force patch is sewn on the left sleeve of the coat. Galen L. Warnock of Topeka, Kansas, wore this uniform during World War II. He was a 2nd Lieutenant with 835th Bomber Squadron, 486th Bomber (Heavy), serving as a B-24 navigator. In 1944, Warlock went missing on a mission over Austria. His name is included on the Tablets of the Missing in Sicily-Rome American Cemetery in Nettuno, Italy.


Army garrison cap

Army garrison cap
Date: between 1943 and 1946
World War II United States Army garrison cap. Olive drab wool with light blue Infantry piping. Worn by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Army garrison cap

Army garrison cap
Date: between 1943 and 1946
World War II United States Army garrison cap. Khaki with light blue Infantry piping. Worn by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Army jacket

Army jacket
Date: between 1943 and 1946
U.S. Army Eisenhower-style jacket. Worn by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Army leggings

Army leggings
Creator: Nasco Awnings, Inc.
Date: 1942
Pair of United States Army M1938 dismounted leggings. Worn by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Asian clogs

Asian clogs
Date: between 1941 and 1945
Pair of Asian clogs with wooden soles. The soles are carved in a single piece and have low heels. Black leather strap across the instep. Owners initials are carved into the soles. Colonel James C. Hughes acquired the clogs while being held as a Japanese Prisoner of War during World War II. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. During the latter conflict, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


AT & SF conductor's cap

AT & SF conductor's cap
Creator: A. G. Meier & Company
Date: between 1950 and 1969
Railroad conductor's cap for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, donated by the AT&SF General Offices. Cap has dark blue wool crown, black mesh band, and shiny black synthetic visor. Stamped brass strap secured at sides with brass Santa Fe buttons. According to the AT&SF, this cap dates from the 1950s or 1960s. The latest possible year of use would have been 1971, when the AT&SF ceased passenger service.


Avis Chitwood's dress

Avis Chitwood's dress
Date: between 1897 and 1900
This childhood dress of Avis Chitwood is made of brown and rust-colored silk. Chitwood grew up in Mound City, Kansas, and took an early interest in art. As she aged, she took classes in watercolor and china painting, etching, and architectural design. The works she produced were displayed in exhibitions and won awards and honors. One of her etchings was displayed at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City. Chitwood gave this dress to her niece, Janice Gartrell, who donated it to the museum.


Baby Santa Claus outfit

Baby Santa Claus outfit
Creator: J.C. Penney
Date: between 1960 and 1965
Joan Ledeboer arrived just in time for Christmas, on December 3,1963, in Belvue, Kansas. Her aunt and uncle, Mary and David Prickett, bought this infant's Santa Claus ensemble for Joan's first holiday. Mary had purchased it from J.C. Penney, a major retailer that issued its first catalog that very same year.


Baby's shawl

Baby's shawl
Date: 1896-1897
Baby's off-white wool shawl with a hand-embroidered floral decoration in two corners. Emily (Stephens) Grinter embroidered the shawl around 1896 or 1897. She was born in New York in 1833 and married Thomas A. Grinter in 1865. The couple lived in Wyandotte County, Kansas. Thomas was the cousin of Moses Grinter, who operated a trading post and ferry on the Kansas River in Wyandotte County. The date of the shawl suggests that Emily might have made this for one of her grandchildren.


Bamboo sandals

Bamboo sandals
Date: between 1941 and 1945
Pair of natural fiber sandals. The strap on one of the sandals has been repaired with a piece of army green cotton fabric. Colonel James C. Hughes acquired the sandals while being held as a Japanese Prisoner of War during World War II. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. During the latter conflict, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Beaded Moccasin

Beaded Moccasin
Date: 1875-1925
This single beaded moccasin was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2006. The linear motif pattern, similar to a Central Plains style, is sewn with white, green, blue, and red beads. Beads also border the sole and a strip of beading is on the moccasin back, above the heel.


Beaded Moccasins

Beaded Moccasins
Date: Unknown
These moccasins were originally on display at the Highland Museum (later the Iowa and Sac and Fox Historic Site) in Doniphan County. The rounded toe moccasins have fur lined flaps and hard leather soles. Black cotton bands, stuffed with a red, white and blue printed cotton, trims the sides. The uppers and sides are decorated with a linear motif in red, white and blue beads.


Beaded Moccasins

Beaded Moccasins
Date: Unknown
The pair of slip-on beaded moccasins were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2003. They are likely either decorated in a Pawnee or Plains style. The leather moccasins were beaded with dark blue, red and green beads in a floral pattern on the uppers and around the sides. Traces of animal hair remain on the soles in addition to some writing in pencil.


Beaded Moccasins

Beaded Moccasins
Date: Unknown
The pair of slip-on beaded mocassins were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1923. The leather mocassins were beaded with dark and light blue, red and yellow beads in a geometric pattern on the uppers and around the edges. The soles were possibly recycled from a parfleche, a container made from a hide that was dried by stretching it onto a frame and then sewn together. The interior sole of the moccasins shows the painting that would have decorated the parfleche.


Beaded Pocket

Beaded Pocket
Date: Unknown
This beaded pocket was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1962. It is not known who made it or when it was made. The buckskin was cut into three shaped pieces and sewn together prior to beading. Bands of yellow and blue beads decorated the longer portion of the pocket, which is topped with 11 strings of blue, yellow and red beads. The pocket portion of the beadwork shows a blue, red and yellow beaded four pointed star surrounded by a circle of red and white beads mimicking a twisted pattern. The reverse of the pocket is decorated with a yellow and blue circle of beads. The entire piece has alternating red and white beads along the edge.


Bone Buttons from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Bone Buttons from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1878-1920
These three bone buttons were recovered during the 1990 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. Shown are two 2-hole pants buttons and a recessed 4-hole sew through button. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.


Bone Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Bone Buttons from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1882
These five buttons were recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. All six buttons are bone four hole sew through buttons, likely made with a lathe. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Bone Tatting Shuttle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Bone Tatting Shuttle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1888-1978
This bone tatting shuttle was recovered during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. Tatting is a technique for making lace and tatting shuttles come in a variety of shapes. The sheep ranch was established by Abraham Pratt, from Yorkshire, England, in 1878. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Bottle from the Fent Site, 14CS703

Bottle from the Fent Site, 14CS703
Date: 1880-1954
This bottle was one of many artifacts recovered during excavation at 14CS703 at an Emporia State University field school. The Chase County artifact collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2005. The clear bottle still retains traces of black residue on the interior, possibly shoe polish, and a smudge of white paint on the exterior. The only mark on the bottle is below the lip, which reads "2 1/2 OZ."


Brass Belt Buckle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Brass Belt Buckle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This center bar belt buckle was recovered during excavations at historic Fort Hays, in Ellis County, by Kansas Historical Society archeologists in 1966. Formerly the buckle was shiny brass, as is shown by the back, but at some point the prong was painted pink. The buckle measures 1 3/4" by 1 7/16". Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Brass Button from Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1834-1843
This brass 4-hole sew through button was recovered at the Kaw Mission during the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. It was made by the Benedict & Burnham Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. The company produced brass buttons from 1834-1843. The Kaw Mission State Historic Site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.