Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

Bead (18)
Bracelet (5)
Brooch (5)
Comb (1)
Earring (7)
Gorget (1)
Locket (1)
Necklace (4)
Pendant (5)
Pin (6)
Ribbon (1)
Ring (3)

1400-1499 (1)
1500-1599 (1)
1600-1699 (1)
1700-1799 (1)
1800-1820 (3)
1830s (2)
1840s (5)
1854-1860 (4)
1861-1869 (8)
1870s (7)
1880s (2)
1890s (3)
1900s (2)
1910s (3)
1920s (2)
1930s (3)
1940s (3)
1950s (4)
1960s (3)
1970s (1)
1980s (2)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Paul H. Meadow's U. S. Army wall locker in Germany Paul H. Meadow's U. S. Army wall locker in Germany

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 610,623
Bookbag items: 36,936
Registered users: 11,187

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 91

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Adornment

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 91 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Alpha Kappa Alpha bracelet

Alpha Kappa Alpha bracelet
Date: 1953
Silver metal charm bracelet of the shield and symbols of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. Kappa Alpha is a traditional black sorority. This bracelet was a souvenir of 1953 National Convention of the AKA Sorority and was worn by Mamie Williams at local meetings and at Boule 1953-1956.


Ball and Cone Earrings from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Ball and Cone Earrings from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
These three ball and cone earrings were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post, where these earrings were located, burned in 1868. Ball and cone earrings were a popular trade item. Two of these are missing their cones. The remaining cone has been flattened.


Beaded Pocket

Beaded Pocket
Date: Unknown
This beaded pocket was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1962. It is not known who made it or when it was made. The buckskin was cut into three shaped pieces and sewn together prior to beading. Bands of yellow and blue beads decorated the longer portion of the pocket, which is topped with 11 strings of blue, yellow and red beads. The pocket portion of the beadwork shows a blue, red and yellow beaded four pointed star surrounded by a circle of red and white beads mimicking a twisted pattern. The reverse of the pocket is decorated with a yellow and blue circle of beads. The entire piece has alternating red and white beads along the edge.


Beads from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Beads from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874 CE
These three beads were recovered from a site in Morris County during a 2006 survey by a Kansas Historical Society archeologist and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s. The site may have been one of three Kansa sites along the Neosho River. All three of the beads are made of glass. Two are hexagonal shaped, one blue the other clear. The third bead is dark green and faceted.


Beads from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop

Beads from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop
Date: 1858-1886
These two beads were recovered at excavations in 1988 during a joint venture between Kansas Historical Society archeologists, Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers, and the City of Olathe. Both beads are oblong and red, but the darker red bead may be manufactured of wood, while the brighter red bead may be of glass. It is difficult to tell the materials without harming the bead. The site consisted of the residence and out buildings built by James and Lucinda Mahaffie in 1858. The farmstead later served as a stagecoach stop on the Santa Fe trail.


Beads from the Mem Site, 14MN328

Beads from the Mem Site, 14MN328
Date: 1500-1800 CE
These beads were excavated in 1986 during a highway salvage project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers at the Mem site. The black glass ovoid bead, of European manufacture, was recovered from the upper fill of a cache pit. The disc-shaped turquoise bead and the two ceramic beads were recovered from the same cache pit. The Mem site, in Marion County, is a Great Bend aspect, ancestral Wichita village.


Beads from the Radio Lane Site, 14CO385

Beads from the Radio Lane Site, 14CO385
Date: 1400-1899 CE
These three beads were among the many that were excavated at the Radio Lane site, a large Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita) village in Cowley County. The amber glass faceted bead was likely made in Bohemia and dates to the mid-to-late 19th century. The white glass trade bead has a light brown swirl within the glass. The turquoise bead was recovered from deep within a bell shaped pit feature. Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew excavated there during a Phase IV archeological investigation in 1995.


Beads from the Shrope Site, 14CO331

Beads from the Shrope Site, 14CO331
Date: 1400-1725 CE
In 1995 a Phase IV highway salvage excavation was conduction by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew at the Shrope site, a large Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita) village in Cowley County. At the site, 41 archeological features were uncovered in three areas. The shell bead shown here, and numerous artifacts, were recovered from deep within a bell-shaped pit. The mussel shell is delicate and great care must have been taken to create the oval hole and shape the bead. The bone bead was found at shallower depths in a different pit. Both ends of a bird bone have been scored, snapped and smoothed to create the bead.


Bone Beads from the Saxman Site, 14RC301

Bone Beads from the Saxman Site, 14RC301
Date: 1500-1650 CE
This group of bone beads were recovered from the Saxman site in Rice County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2016. The beads were made from a section of bird bone, as bird bones are mostly hollow. They were scored, then cut or snapped, and finally had their edges smoothed, to form the tabular beads. The Saxman site, a large Great Bend aspect village, was occupied by the ancestral Wichita peoples.


Bone Beads from the Sharps Creek Site, 14MP408

Bone Beads from the Sharps Creek Site, 14MP408
Date: 1500-1800 CE
Shown are four bone beads recovered from the Sharps Creek site, a Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita) village in McPherson County. The beads were made from a section of bird bone, as bird bones are mostly hollow. They were scored, then cut or snapped, and finally had their edges smoothed, to form the tabular beads. The shortest bead was recovered during excavations at the 1993 Kansas Archeology Training program field school and the other three were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993.


Bone Beads from the Tobias Site, 14RC8

Bone Beads from the Tobias Site, 14RC8
Date: 1400-1600 CE
These two bone beads were excavated during the 1977 and 1978 Kansas Archeology Training Program field schools at the Tobias site in Rice County. The beads were made from a section of bird bone, as bird bones are mostly hollow. They were scored, then cut or snapped, and finally had their edges smoothed, to form the tubular beads. The Tobias site is a Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita) village that had dense artifact deposits, house remains, and numerous deep trash-filled storage pits. The site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Bone Ornament from El Cuartelejo, 14SC1

Bone Ornament from El Cuartelejo, 14SC1
Date: 1650-1750 CE
Shown is a bone ornament that was recovered from the El Cuartelejo site in Scott County. The site, unique in Kansas, is the location of a seven room pueblo occupied by refugees from the Taos and Picuris pueblos in New Mexico in addition to Dismal River aspect groups (Apache). El Cuartelejo, also called the Scott County Pueblo, has been excavated and studied by many archeologists since 1898. This artifact was recovered during the 1976 Kansas Archeology Training Program. The bone ornament has cut marks visible on each end. It was made from a medium sized animal.


Bone Pendant from the Markley Site, 14OT308

Bone Pendant from the Markley Site, 14OT308
Date: 1000-1500 CE
This bone pendant was recovered from House 1 at the Markley site, a Smoky Hill Phase occupation site containing two or more houses. The small bone has a drilled hole and one end and is tapered to a point at the other end.


Bowling pins brooch

Bowling pins brooch
Date: between 1930 and 1959
Costume jewelry brooch featuring a braid-wrapped ball with dangling bowling pins. Ball is formed of pale pink/green/yellow braid wrapped in concentric circles and stitched to front of clear plastic disk with a single red wooden bead. Some braid loops hang past the disk's bottom, and dangling on these loops are ten wooden bowling pins. Pin necks are painted with green, red, blue, or purple bands.


Brass Beads from the Curry Site, 14GR301

Brass Beads from the Curry Site, 14GR301
Date: 1200-1600 CE
These 13 brass beads were recovered from the Curry site and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. The Curry site is a multicomponent (multiple occupations) village in Greenwood County. These beads, similar to a Rondelle shape, were likely traded for other goods.


Brass Bracelet from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop, 14JO356

Brass Bracelet from the Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop, 14JO356
Date: 1858-1886
The brass fragments shown here came from a single bracelet that was recovered during excavations in 1988 during a joint venture between Kansas Historical Society archeologists, Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers, and the City of Olathe. There are very few hints of the delicate bracelet's former shine. The Mahaffie Farmstead and Stagecoach Stop was the residence and out buildings of James and Lucinda Mahaffie, built in 1858. The farmstead later served as a stagecoach stop on the Santa Fe trail.


Brass Bracelet from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403

Brass Bracelet from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403
Date: 1867
This bracelet was fashioned out of a brass wire. The bracelet was recovered from the Village on the Pawnee Fork in Ness County during excavations in 1977. The site was home to several hundred Southern Cheyenne and Southern Teton Oglala. It was destroyed by order of Major General Winifred S. Hancock in 1867. The Village on Pawnee Fork is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Brass Ring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Brass Ring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
This brass ring was found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. During the 1800s it would have been bright and shiny, but time has dulled its shine.


Brooch

Brooch
Date: between 1860 and 1880
Small, oval-shaped gold brooch. Engraved black enamel tracery design at center. Stippled texture in gold around design; gold in the design is smooth. Bar closure on back with a "t" hinge and "c" clasp. Brooch belonged to Sophia Brockmeyer Hollenberg Kalhoefer. Her first husband was Garet Henry Hollenberg, who operated Hollenberg Station at Hanover, Kansas.


Brooch

Brooch
Date: between 1860 and 1880
This oval-shaped, black celluloid cameo brooch depicts the bust of a Classical-style woman. The donor, Clara May Hesse, was born in 1884. Her parents, William and Rebecca Hesse, were among the earliest settlers to Pottawatomie County, Kansas, having bought their farm from Pottawatomie Indians. It is possible that this is a piece of mourning jewelry.


Brooch from 14EL430

Brooch from 14EL430
Date: 1869-1870
This delicate brass brooch was made in a filigree-like floral pattern with a possible silver center. The brooch was collected at a site that may be the location of a camp used by General George A. Custer and the Seventh Calvary. The site is near Fort Hays in Ellis County. Elizabeth Bacon Custer joined her husband, General George Custer, whenever possible at the 7th Cavalry camps. Perhaps this brooch belonged to her? Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Catlinite Pendant from Jefferson County

Catlinite Pendant from Jefferson County
Date: Unknown
This carved pipestone or Catlinite pendant was found in Jefferson County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1979. The soft fine grain material enabled the pendant's carver to shape and smooth the piece, score the lines on each end, and drill a hole for suspending the pendent.


Conchos from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Conchos from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
These three conchos were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Conchos were used to decorate clothing, saddles and bridles. These conchos may be made of German silver, which is actually a copper alloy with nickel.


Cone Tinkler from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Cone Tinkler from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1800 CE
This cone tinkler was collected from the surface of the Fanning site, a protohistoric period Kansa village site in Doniphan County. Tinklers were used to decorate hair, clothes and other objects. They were often made of brass salvaged from other items.


Cone Tinkler from the Wea Presbyterian Mission, 14MM322

Cone Tinkler from the Wea Presbyterian Mission, 14MM322
Date: 1837-1857
This cone tinkler was recovered from the Wea Presbyterian Mission in 1997 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew. The excavations revealed foundations for the Mission house, a spring house, and an outbuilding in addition to a filled in well. The Wea Mission (1834-1837) changed functions over time: the Osage River Subagency (1837-1844), the Wea and Piankeshaw Baptist Mission (1844-1857) and other occupants until 1909 when the house burned. Tinklers were used to decorate hair, clothes and other objects.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.