Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1400-1499 (1)
1500-1599 (1)
1600-1699 (1)
1700-1799 (1)
1800-1819 (7)
1820s (3)
1830s (3)
1840s (10)
1850s (6)
1854-1860 (14)
1861-1869 (52)
1870s (24)
1880s (19)
1890s (47)
1900s (31)
1910s (27)
1920s (22)
1930s (26)
1940s (52)
1950s (24)
1960s (15)
1970s (7)
1980s (4)
2000s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Holy Trinity Orthodox church, Kansas City, Kansas Holy Trinity Orthodox church, Kansas City, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 734,162
Bookbag items: 39,218
Registered users: 12,009

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 579

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 579 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1819 One cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1819 One cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This one cent coin was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The cent, now commonly called a penny, was also called a large cent. The Matron head design shown here was minted between 1816 and 1839. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1823 Liberty Dime from Soldier Creek Crossing, 14OS1302

1823 Liberty Dime from Soldier Creek Crossing, 14OS1302
Date: 1823
This Liberty dime was recovered at a Santa Fe trail stream crossing site in Osage County. The silver dime, minted in 1823, is a type called "Capped Bust," meaning it was struck over a 1822 Liberty dime with the "3" of 1823 directly on top of the "2" of the 1822 date. The site was the focus of a 1995 Kansas Archeology Training Program event with Kansas Historical Society archeologists and volunteers from the Kansas Anthropological Association.


1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1844
This quarter was minted in 1844 in New Orleans. It was recovered from the site of the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program, the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. It shows a seated Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1853 Half Dime from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

1853 Half Dime from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1853-1868
This silver half dime was recovered from Fort Zarah during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The obverse side shows a Seated Liberty with her right hand resting on a striped shield and her left hand holding a Liberty pole. Six-pointed stars surround Liberty and arrows are present on each side of the date of 1853. The reverse side has the words "HALF DIME" and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" surrounded by a wreath of laurel leaves. Fort Zarah, located along the Santa Fe trail in Barton County, was active from 1864 to 1869.


1856 One-Cent Coin from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

1856 One-Cent Coin from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1856-1872
This one-cent coin was found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation and was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The obverse of the coin shows Liberty with braided hair surrounded by stars and the date 1856. The reverse side shows an oak leaf wreath surrounding the words "ONE CENT." Large one-cent coins were discontinued in 1857 and replaced with smaller one-cent coins of the size we use today. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


1866 Three cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1866 Three cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This three cent coin was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The three cent coin was minted from 1851 to 1889, first in silver and then in 1865, in nickel. This coin was minted in 1866 and has a Liberty head on the obverse side and a Roman numeral III on the reverse. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1876 Liberty Quarter from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1876 Liberty Quarter from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1876-1889
This seated Liberty quarter was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. On the obverse side of the quarter Liberty is seated on a rock holding a liberty pole, resting her hand on a shield and surrounded above by 13 stars. On the reverse side is an eagle with a ribbon with the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" on it. An olive branch and arrows are positioned in the eagle's talons and there is a shield on its breast. The quarter was minted in 1876 in Carson City, Nevada. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1876
The 1876 penny was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The penny, sometimes called an Indian Head cent or Indian Head penny shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.


1880 Liberty Head Half Eagle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1880 Liberty Head Half Eagle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1880-1889
This coin was recovered during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The $5.00 coin is 90% gold and 10% copper. Minted in 1880, the coin has a Liberty or Coronet head on the obverse side and an eagle with shield on the reverse side. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1897 Liberty Head V Nickel from 14WY408

1897 Liberty Head V Nickel from 14WY408
Date: 1897
This 1897 nickel was collected from a multicomponent camp site in Wyandotte County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2018. On the obverse is Liberty wearing a coronet and wreath with the date. On the reverse is "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA V E PLURIBUS UNUM."


Admiral John E. Gingrich's hat

Admiral John E. Gingrich's hat
Creator: Unt Rankin Leather Company
Date: between 1945 and 1947
This U.S. Navy full dress bicorne hat belonged to Admiral John Edward Gingrich (1897-1960). Gingrich was born in Dodge City, Kansas. He attended the University of Kansas and graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1919. As Captain of the cruiser Pittsburgh in 1945, he received a silver star for assisting the crippled aircraft carrier Franklin. He also received a Legion of Merit and gold star for safely sailing his cruiser following severe typhoon damage in June 1945. Gingrich promoted to Rear Admiral late in 1945. In 1947, he became the first director of the Division of Security and Intelligence at the Atomic Energy Commission. Gingrich commanded the Blockade and Escort Force in 1952, for which he received the Distinguished Service Medal. He retired in 1954 with the rank of four-star Admiral. He died in New York City in 1960.


Alfred Landon campaign button cap

Alfred Landon campaign button cap
Date: 1936
Beige cap covered with campaigns buttons promoting the 1936 Presidential campaign of Alfred Landon and William Knox. Landon served as governor of Kansas from 1933-1937.


Alpha Kappa Alpha bracelet

Alpha Kappa Alpha bracelet
Date: 1953
Silver metal charm bracelet of the shield and symbols of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. Kappa Alpha is a traditional black sorority. This bracelet was a souvenir of 1953 National Convention of the AKA Sorority and was worn by Mamie Williams at local meetings and at Boule 1953-1956.


An Eclectic Collection from 14JO417

An Eclectic Collection from 14JO417
Date: Unknown
These three items were collected from a multicomponent site in Johnson County with occupations in both the prehistoric and historic time periods. These artifacts were from the later time period. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2006. Do they represent the remains of someone's prize collection? Shown is a bisque figurine of Donald Duck riding a hobby horse with "WALT DISNEY" on one side. Also pictured is a plastic duck head that was once affixed on another object and a marine shell similar to a whelk shell.


Anti-Populist political ribbon

Anti-Populist political ribbon
Date: 1894
A blue political campaign ribbon sponsored by the Emporia Gazette (newspaper) promoting "more [corn], less hell" in 1894. The slogan is a rebuttal of the Populist appeal that farmers raise "less corn and more hell" often attributed to Populist agitator Mary Elizabeth Lease.


Antoine Barada's Parfleche

Antoine Barada's Parfleche
Date: 1861
Parfleches, like this one, were generally made of a dried buffalo hide that had been stretched and shaped to form a bag or container. This parfleche, donated to the Kansas Historical Society, was made for Antoine or Antonine Barada, 1807-1885, son of an Omaha mother and a French-American fur trapper and interpreter. Barada was something of a local folk hero in Nebraska, credited with feats of strength. The parfleche is decorated with a painted red, black and yellow geometric pattern on the front and back. The inner closure flap has "A. Barada 1861" in pencil. The seams are sewn with sinew.


Apron

Apron
Date: between 1918 and 1919
White linen apron. Mid-length skirt. Short bib without neck strap. Worn by Marie Inez Walker (1899-1974) while working at Topeka's Cremerie Restaurant from 1918 to 1919. The Cremerie (occasionally advertised as The Creamerie) first opened on the 700 block of Kansas Avenue in Topeka in June of 1892. It continued operations until about 1934, going through several remodels, moves, and reorganizations during that time.


Arapaho Quillwork Bag

Arapaho Quillwork Bag
Date: Unknown
This buffalo hide bag or pouch entered the Kansas Historical Society's collection in 1956. The records indicate it was Arapaho in origin. The bag is edged with a calico binding and leather thongs. Both sides have five rows porcupine quills dyed purple and yellow. The bag is 3 3/4" x 3".


Army 1st Infantry Division Patch

Army 1st Infantry Division Patch
Date: between 1943 and 1946
United States Army 1st Infantry Division "Big Red One" should patch. Belonged to Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Army Air Force uniform

Army Air Force uniform
Creator: Sol Frank Military Supply Co.
Date: between 1940 and 1945
United States Army officer's uniform. The uniform is made of lightweight, khaki-colored wool. An Army Air Force patch is sewn on the left sleeve of the coat. Galen L. Warnock of Topeka, Kansas, wore this uniform during World War II. He was a 2nd Lieutenant with 835th Bomber Squadron, 486th Bomber (Heavy), serving as a B-24 navigator. In 1944, Warlock went missing on a mission over Austria. His name is included on the Tablets of the Missing in Sicily-Rome American Cemetery in Nettuno, Italy.


Army duffel bag

Army duffel bag
Date: between 1943 and 1946
U.S. Army duffle bag. Carried by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Army garrison cap

Army garrison cap
Date: between 1943 and 1946
World War II United States Army garrison cap. Khaki with light blue Infantry piping. Worn by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Army garrison cap

Army garrison cap
Date: between 1943 and 1946
World War II United States Army garrison cap. Olive drab wool with light blue Infantry piping. Worn by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Army jacket

Army jacket
Date: between 1943 and 1946
U.S. Army Eisenhower-style jacket. Worn by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Army leggings

Army leggings
Creator: Nasco Awnings, Inc.
Date: 1942
Pair of United States Army M1938 dismounted leggings. Worn by Private First Class John Lee Meyer, Jr. Meyer, a native of Phillipsburg, Kansas, was drafted into the Army in 1943. He saw heavy combant in Germany as part of the 1st Infantry Division, 18th Regiment, Company F, eventually receiving both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After the war, Meyer was reassigned to the 1st Division, Chief of Council, Presentation Department in Nuremberg. His new duties included building the architectural model for the redesigned courtroom at the Palace of Justice in preparation for the Nuremberg Trials.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.