Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

Ashtray (1)
Bottle (2)
Bowl (6)
Box (1)
Clock (1)
Coffee Mill (3)
Cup (5)
Dish (50)
Door Knob (2)
Figurine (1)
Hook (1)
Jar (2)
Jardiniere (1)
Jug (1)
Key (11)
Knife (4)
Lock (1)
Napkin Ring (1)
Padlock (3)
Pitcher (4)
Planter (1)
Plate (7)
Pole, Sash (1)
Saucer (7)
Swatter, Fly (1)
Tongs (1)
Towel, Show (1)
Vase (8)
Warmer, Foot (1)
Wastebasket (1)

1861-1869 (11)
1870s (2)
1880s (7)
1890s (5)
1900s (4)
1910s (7)
1920s (5)
1930s (5)
1940s (3)
1950s (4)
1960s (2)
1970s (1)
1990s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Ekart, Umscheid, Riat, Hoferer and Repp family histories and photographs Ekart, Umscheid, Riat, Hoferer and Repp family histories and photographs

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 735,283
Bookbag items: 40,027
Registered users: 12,207

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 142

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Furnishings - Household Accessory

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 142 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


A Clock's Spring Mechanism from 14CT380

A Clock's Spring Mechanism from 14CT380
Date: 1900-1965
This clock's spring mechanism was recovered in 1995 during an archeological salvage project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at a Chautauqua County farmstead. The clock spring controlled the wheels to keep accurate time. Such clocks required periodic winding. This mechanism would have been for a mantle or table top sized clock.


A Cup and a Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701

A Cup and a Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This reconstructed cup and bowl was found in pieces during excavations in 1972 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) field school. The bowl has a red, black and green floral design, though difficult to see. The handless cup has a red, white and blue linear pattern. Both dishes were reconstructed by students at the field school. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701

Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1972
Shown are five views of cleaned and reconstructed artifacts from the excavations at the Baker house in Morris County. Shown are a tablesetting, smoking pipes, a tintype frame, a bowl and pitcher, and a grouping of scissors, needle, thimble, and lens from a pair of spectacles. The artifact collection, along with these photographs, was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The excavation was undertaken by the Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) in 1972. The Baker house and nearby store were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Banded Ware Dishes from Constitutional Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321

Banded Ware Dishes from Constitutional Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321
Date: 1855-1930
Shown are examples of banded ware or annualarware decorated dishes. They were recovered from Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. The building was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.


Banded Ware from the Baker Store, 14MO701

Banded Ware from the Baker Store, 14MO701
Date: 1862
These decorated whiteware sherds were recovered from the Baker store in Morris County by the Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school in 1973. The three rim and body sherds are decorated with banded or annular ware by using a slip applied in bands of varying width and colors. These sherds were among the few from the site that were broken, but not burned. The Baker store and nearby house were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Banded Ware Pitcher from the Baker House, 14MO701

Banded Ware Pitcher from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This pitcher fragment was recovered from the Baker house in Morris County by the Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school in 1972. The collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The small pitcher is banded or annular ware decorated by an applied slip of bands of varying width below a curving band. The Baker store and nearby house were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


Bennington Door Knobs from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Bennington Door Knobs from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
These two door knobs were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The ceramic door knobs are decorated in a style known as Bennington, after the manufacturer, and show a threaded interior. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building within the fort, from where these door knobs were located, burned in 1868.


"Brother" Cup from the Adair Cabin Site

"Brother" Cup from the Adair Cabin Site
Date: 1858-1912
This porcelain tea cup, missing its handle, was recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. Osawatomie and the Adairs were much involved with the abolitionist movement during the "Bleeding Kansas" years. The base of the cup has the country of origin labeling indicating it was made in Germany. The Tariff Act of 1891 made mandatory country of origin labeling in the United States, though Europe had enacted such laws earlier.


Butcher Knife from Camp Fletcher, 14EL307

Butcher Knife from Camp Fletcher, 14EL307
Date: 1865-1867
Butcher knives were designed primarily for butchering animal carcasses. Though deteriorating rapidly, this butcher knife is essentially complete. It was recovered from Camp Fletcher in Ellis County that was abandoned after a devastating flood. The Army then moved to the present location of Fort Hays. This knife was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2003.


C. and W. K. Harvey Maker's Mark from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

C. and W. K. Harvey Maker's Mark from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1869
This plate or platter fragment was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. The dish was manufactured by C. and W. K. Harvey of Longton, England, between c. 1835 and 1852. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County.


Candy Dish from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Candy Dish from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1878-1900
These candy dish fragments were recovered in during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The dish was reconstructed and archeologists were able to identify the material as slag glass, an opaque pressed glass with a swirling color pattern. Purple and white swirls, like the one on this candy dish, were the most popular color. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.


Canning Jar Closures from the Baker House, 14MO701

Canning Jar Closures from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
The canning jar fragments were recovered during excavations at the Baker house in Morris County, undertaken by Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school in 1972. The jars were sealed using a thin metal cap with a wax seal inside the groove separating the parallel rings. The site, along the Santa Fe Trail in Morris County, was the location of the Baker house, which burned in 1862, along with the nearby store, during the murder of the proprietor A.I. Baker by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts.


Carved Horn Scoop

Carved Horn Scoop
Date: Unknown
This horn scoop or spoon was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1963. The scoop was made of a hollowed horn and then intricately carved and decorated. The back of the scoop is carved with a series of diamonds.


Chinese vase

Chinese vase
Date: between 1920 and 1986
Made in the 20th century, this ceramic vase resembles an amphora of the Tang Dynasty and has a glaze similar to Jun ware of the Song Dynasty. The Vice Governor of the Henan Province in China presented it to Governor John Carlin during a 1986 visit. A sister state/province relationship was established in 1979.


Coffee Mill Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Coffee Mill Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These coffee mill hopper and grinder fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. Coffee mills are used to grind roasted coffee beans prior to brewing, but can also be used to grind other substances. These fragments are made of cast iron and were cleaned by the donor with electrolysis, which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Coffee Mill Handle from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403

Coffee Mill Handle from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403
Date: 1867
This coffee mill handle was recovered from the Village on the Pawnee Fork (also called Hancock's Village) in Ness County during excavations in 1977. Coffee mills are used to grind roasted coffee beans prior to brewing. The handle is made of cast iron and was part of a manual grinder. The broken handle was cleaned by electrolysis, which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. The Village on Pawnee Fork, home to several hundred Southern Cheyenne and Southern Teton Oglala people was destroyed by order of Major General Winifred S. Hancock in 1867. The site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Coffee Mill Hopper from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403

Coffee Mill Hopper from the Village on Pawnee Fork, 14NS403
Date: 1867
This coffee mill hopper fragment was recovered from the Village on the Pawnee Fork (also called Hancock's Village) in Ness County during excavations in 1977. Coffee mills are used to grind roasted coffee beans prior to brewing. This hopper fragment is made of cast iron and was part of a manual coffee grinder. The hopper fragment was cleaned by electrolysis, which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. The Village on Pawnee Fork, home to several hundred Southern Cheyenne and Southern Teton Oglala was destroyed by order of Major General Winifred S. Hancock in 1867. The site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Containers from 14JW311

Containers from 14JW311
Date: 1000-1500 CE
These three sherds were collected from an archeological site in Jewell County that had materials from the Middle Ceramic period, such as the two ceramic sherds with cord marked surface treatment shown here, and a small scattering of historic artifacts from the surface, like the amethyst cut glass sherd. All three artifacts served as containers in their time and illustrate that styles may change, but functions do not always do so!


Cream Pitcher from the Plaster House, 14GY307

Cream Pitcher from the Plaster House, 14GY307
Date: 1879-1899
This reconstructed ceramicpitcher was excavated at the Plaster House site in Gray County, possibly a late 19th- or early 20th-century dugout. It is decorated with a blue and brown floral transferware pattern. The occupants of the dugout were most likely the family of Oliver and Anna Mitchell; Oliver Mitchell was described in his obituary as a horse rancher. Settlement in this area of Kansas mostly post-dated the construction of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad in 1872 and experienced a boom during with the construction of the Soule Canal in the mid-1880s.


Crockery from the Wea Presbyterian Mission, 14MM322

Crockery from the Wea Presbyterian Mission, 14MM322
Date: 1837-1909
These crockery fragments were recovered from the Wea Presbyterian Mission in 1997 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew. All have a salt glaze (produced by adding salt to the kiln during firing) on their exterior. The excavations revealed foundations for the Mission house, a spring house, and an outbuilding in addition to a filled in well. The Wea Mission (1834-1837) changed functions over time: it served as the Osage River Subagency (1837-1844), the Wea and Piankeshaw Baptist Mission (1844-1857) and then had other occupants until 1909 when the house burned.


Crock Fragment from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Crock Fragment from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This crock fragment is made of stoneware and was used for storing food. It was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. The crock has an Albany slip, which refers to the dark brown to black slip of clay and water applied before firing of the vessel. The site was the location of a pony express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other out buildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Cup Fragment from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Cup Fragment from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This cup fragment was recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The porcelain cup is decorated in a blue and white Willow pattern, transfer printed on the cup's exterior and handle. Willow ware patterns were designed in imitation of Chinese or East Asian patterns. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Decorated Bottle and Jar Fragments from the Baker Store, 14MO701

Decorated Bottle and Jar Fragments from the Baker Store, 14MO701
Date: 1862
These three decorated bottle and jar fragments were recovered from the Baker Store in Morris County by an Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school in 1973. Two fragments that may have been from jars are decorated with molded swirls. The third fragment is from a bottle that once held hot sauce. The molded decorative style is called Cathedral, as the bottle panels resemble cathedral windows. The Baker Store artifact collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house, situated along the Santa Fe trail, were burned in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered at that time.


Decorated Bowl Fragment from the Grinter Place, 14WY316

Decorated Bowl Fragment from the Grinter Place, 14WY316
Date: 1855-1950
This serving bowl fragment was recovered from Grinter Place State Historic Site in Wyandotte County. It is decorated by transfer printing, a process by which a design is transferred from an engraved metal plate onto the pottery called transferware. Grinter Place is a two-story brick home overlooking the Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River, and is now in the National Register of Historic Places. Moses and Annie Grinter, the latter was a member of the Lenape (Delaware) tribe, owned and operated a ferry and trading post there. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Decorated Dishes from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Decorated Dishes from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1851-1900
These dish sherds were recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. The dishes are decorated in a variety of patterns including hand painting, transfer printing, and a transfer printing that was deliberately blurred, a hallmark of flow blue patterns. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the State of Kansas in 1951 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.