Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1800-1820 (8)
1840s (5)
1850s (1)
1854-1860 (15)
1861-1869 (9)
1870s (15)
1880s (30)
1890s (35)
1900s (24)
1910s (22)
1920s (16)
1930s (18)
1940s (10)
1950s (4)
1960s (2)
1970s (2)
1980s (3)
1990s (2)
2000s (1)
2010s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Walker Winslow correspondence Walker Winslow correspondence

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,240
Bookbag items: 35,874
Registered users: 10,890

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 168

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Furnishings

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 168 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


105 Kansas County Quilt

105 Kansas County Quilt
Creator: Stitching Traditions Quilt Shop
Date: between 2010 and 2013
Commemorative quilt made by the Woman's Kansas Day Club, with a separate block for every one of Kansas's 105 counties. Each block was made by a representative from that county. The quilt was then constructed, bordered, and bound by staff at Topeka's Stitching Traditions Quilt Shop and custom machine quilted by Topeka's A Touch of Class Quilting.


A Cup and a Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701

A Cup and a Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This reconstructed cup and bowl was found in pieces during excavations in 1972-1973 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University). The bowl has a red, black and green floral design, though difficult to see. The handless cup has a red, white and blue linear pattern. Both dishes were reconstructed by students at the 1972 - 1973 field school. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The archeological site, along the Santa Fe Trail in Morris County, was the location of the Baker House, which burned in 1862, along with the nearby store, during the murder of A.I. Baker.


Abernathy desk chair

Abernathy desk chair
Creator: Abernathy Furniture Company
Date: between 1918 and 1925
Oak desk chair with a blond finish, made by the Abernathy Furniture Company of Leavenworth, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri. LaVern Clair Noyes of Osborne acquired the chair from the Larosh Family of Osborne County, possibly in trade for services. Noyes was a custom harvester who also sold insurance and real estate.


Album Patch quilt

Album Patch quilt
Date: 1895
Album Patch quilt with numerous handwritten signatures inked on the top. Marks on the center block include the name of Rev. L. C. Schnacke, the notation he was pastor of the First Congregational Church in Great Bend, and the date May 2, 1895. Most of the other names are for residents of Great Bend. This quilt probably was a fund raiser, with a small fee being charged for names to be recorded on it. The marks all appear to be written by the same person.


Album Patch quilt top

Album Patch quilt top
Date: between 1854 and 1856
This Album Patch quilt top is composed of multi-colored pieced calico blocks set on a white muslin ground. Inked names handwritten on the center of each block include Lyda Davis, Sarah Emminger, Ellen Wiestline, and Mary Swartz. White paper fragments with handwritten names are pinned to the center of some blocks. Dates written on the top include 1854, 1855, and 1856. This top probably was made in Pennsylvania and later brought to Kansas.


Album sampler quilt

Album sampler quilt
Creator: Rowden, Deb
Date: 2006
Album sampler quilt comprised of 30 blocks, each in a different pieced or appliqued pattern. Quilt incorporates a wide variety of reproduction 19th century textiles designed for Moda Fabrics by Kansas quilt historians Barbara Brackman and Terry Clothier Thompson. Machine quilted in a different pattern on each block. An inscription sewn to backing lists the pattern names, designers, and sewers of each block. This quilt was made in 2006 by members of the Kaw Valley Quilters Guild, Lawrence, to celebrate the group's 30th anniversary. The 30 blocks feature patterns taken from the Guild's block-of-the-month collection over 30 years. Patricia Ann Marlo Sullivan of Topeka won the quilt in a drawing.


Applique quilt

Applique quilt
Creator: Kramer, Maria
Date: between 1840 and 1899
Red, green, and white appliqué quilt. Unnamed block pattern features a large 8-lobed red rosette with seven radiating green leaves, a thick green stem, and a red bud on a side shoot. Wide red sashing separates the blocks. Appliqued vines on borders. Red binding is a replacement. Quilted in a grid on blocks, and diagonally on sashing and borders. This quilt was made and used by Maria Kramer of Evansville, Indiana.


Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701

Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1972
Shown are five views of cleaned and reconstructed artifacts from the excavations at the Baker house in Morris County. Shown are a tablesetting, smoking pipes, a tintype frame, a bowl and pitcher, and a grouping of scissors, needle, thimble, and lens from a pair of spectacles. The slides were processed in 1972. The artifact collection, along with these photographs, was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The excavation was undertaken by Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) in 1972. The house was burned in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts.


Autograph quilt

Autograph quilt
Creator: Burgett, Marie Marcellus
Date: 1986
Blue and white quilt featuring the embroidered signatures of 24 prominent Kansans. Made by Marie Marcellus Burgett of Junction City to celebrate Kansas' 125th anniversary of statehood, 1986. Burgett obtained the signatures of 24 living Kansans on white fabric squares, and embroidered the signatures along with a summary of each individual's achievements. The quilt won a grand prize at the Riley County Fair, and reserve champion prize at the Geary County Fair, and was exhibited in the Kansas Capitol. According to Burgett, the blue fabric represents the Kansas skies. Made of cotton/synthetic blend fabrics. White binding and navy blue backing. Machine-pieced. Hand-quilted with outline stitching around signatures, and also sunflower and wheat designs.


Baby Blocks or Tumbling Blocks quilt

Baby Blocks or Tumbling Blocks quilt
Creator: Chambers, Regina V. Mills
Date: between 1888 and 1889
Red, brown and white cotton quilt in Baby Blocks or Tumbling Blocks pattern. The quilt maker was Regina Mills Chambers, born in Ohio in 1867, who immigrated to Kansas in the 1880s where she briefly taught school in Alma. Chambers eventually settled in Hoxie, Kansas, where she practiced law with her husband. About 180 names are inscribed in brown ink on the quilt's white pieces. Some inscriptions also include locations and professions. There are Kansas place names as well as a number of other states. All marks were written by the same hand (probably Chambers) in brown ink. Hand-pieced and hand-quilted in outline stitching. Red cotton binding and white cotton backing.


Bear's Paw quilt

Bear's Paw quilt
Creator: Nye, Mary Alice Koger
Date: between 1890 and 1925
Red and blue cotton quilt made in Bear's Paw pattern. The maker was Mary Alice Koger Nye and the quilt was used in her family's household in Belle Plaine, Kansas. Fabrics in the pieced blocks came from dresses worn by Nye and her daughters before World War I, while fabric for the plain red blocks and blue/white pinstriped backing were purchased after the war. Batting appears to be a thin cotton sheet or blanket. Blocks are hand-pieced, and top was assembled by machine. Hand-quilted in diagonal lines.


Bedspread

Bedspread
Creator: Adolph, Henry
Date: 1876
Jacquard woven bedspread in red, green, and white. Title blocks in two corners read, "Made by H. Adolph. Clinton, Kansas. 1876." French born Henry Adolph (1815-1907) immigrated to Ohio around 1838. From there he slowed moved westward, living for several years in Indiana, Iowa, and then Missouri. By 1866 he had arrived in Douglas County, Kansas, where he stayed until around 1880, when he moved back to Missouri.


Bennington Door Knobs from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Bennington Door Knobs from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1864-1868
These two door knobs were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The ceramic door knobs are decorated in a style known as Bennington, after the manufacturer, and show a threaded interior. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building within the fort, from where these door knobs were located, burned in 1868.


Betty lamp

Betty lamp
Date: between 1800 and 1850
Cast iron betty lamp that has been painted gold. Circular reservoir with protruding spout and wick support. Keyhole-shaped opening on cover plate for missing swiveling cover. Iron handle arches above reservoir opposite spout, ending in lug from which dangles a swiveling spike that is missing its hanging hook. The donor's grandfather claimed to have found this sperm oil lamp in the Tarrytown Road headquarters of General George Meade after the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. Meade was placed in charge of the Union Army shortly before the battle. His Tarrytown headquarters was approximately 17 miles from the battlefield.


Brass Lamp Burner from Grinter Place, 14WY316

Brass Lamp Burner from Grinter Place, 14WY316
Date: 1857-1920
This artifact was used as part of the burner for an oil lamp. The wick extended through the slot on the top. It was recovered from excavations at Grinter Place is a two-story brick home overlooking the Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River, and is now in the National Register of Historic Places. Moses and Annie Grinter (she was a Lenape Delaware) owned and operated a ferry and trading post there. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Brinkley for Governor paperweight

Brinkley for Governor paperweight
Date: Between 1930 and 1934
This paperweight, in the shape of a horned goat, was distributed as part of one or more of Dr. John R. Brinkley's unsuccessful campaigns for the office of Kansas governor. Dr. Brinkley, a physician from Milford, Kansas, until his medical license was revoked in 1930, was famous for his advocacy of goat gland transplants. He ran as an independent write-in candidate for governor of Kansas in 1930, 1932, and 1934.


Broken Star quilt

Broken Star quilt
Date: between 1880 and 1930
Blue, white and pink cotton quilt in Broken Star pattern, with close and fine quilting overall. The binding is marked with the initials "M E T" on the back. According to the donor, the quilt belonged to her uncle's parents, Eugene and Annie Elizabeth Carmichael Metzger. They were married in Missouri in 1880 and moved to Hunter, Mitchell County, Kansas and then later to Lane, Franklin County, Kansas. The quilt may have been part of Annie Metzger's hope chest.


"Brother" Cup from the Adair Cabin Site

"Brother" Cup from the Adair Cabin Site
Date: 1858-1912
This porcelain tea cup, missing its handle, was recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. Osawatomie and the Adairs were much involved with the abolitionist movement during the "Bleeding Kansas" years. The base of the cup has the country of origin labeling indicating it was made in Germany. The Tariff Act of 1891 made mandatory country of origin labeling in the United States, though Europe had enacted such laws earlier.


Butcher Knife from Camp Fletcher, 14EL307

Butcher Knife from Camp Fletcher, 14EL307
Date: 1865-1867
Butcher knives were designed primarily for butchering animal carcasses. Though deteriorating rapidly, this butcher knife is essentially complete. It was recovered from Camp Fletcher in Ellis County that was abandoned after a devastating flood. The Army then moved to the present location of Fort Hays. This knife was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2003.


Candle lantern

Candle lantern
Date: between 1800 and 1850
This is a pressed and pierced tin candle lantern. Half-round lantern has clear glass pane beneath pierced conical top. Hinged metal door with snap latch opens to reveal candle socket on interior. Hiram C. Coville brought this lantern to Kansas Territory from Ohio. The Covilles were early settlers, landing first in Lawrence and quickly moving west to the Topeka area in 1855. Hiram was a soldier in the 2nd Kansas Militia, Company B, when he was killed during the Price Raid in 1864. His son, Allen, also used the lantern on the farm in Shawnee County.


Cedar tree quilt

Cedar tree quilt
Creator: Anderson, Arlene A. Auchard
Date: 1988
Small quilted wall hanging featuring pieced cedar trees alternating with Nine Patch squares. Three strips of solid fabrics form the borders. Dark green binding. Backing of pink sprigged fabric. Hand-quilted and machine-stitched. This small quilted wall hanging was made by Arlene Anderson and auctioned off on Apr. 30, 1988 for the benefit of the Kansas Quilt Project (KQP). Founded in 1986, the KQP's mission was to collect quilt histories and establish a repository for the resulting data at the Kansas Historical Society. The donor/quilter was married to John Anderson, Jr., Governor of Kansas from 1961-1965. The Andersons were the first governor's family to occupy the executive residence known as Cedar Crest, so named because of its location on the crest of a hill overlooking the cedar-lined Kansas River valley.


Ceramic Doorknobs from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Ceramic Doorknobs from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1887
These two doorknobs were among the many recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. One is only the knob portion while the other has a remnant of the cast iron shank. Both show a flint enamel glaze, either in a Rockingham or Bennington pattern. Marble-like swirls such as these were first patented in 1841 and were popular from the 1860s into the 20th century. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Checkerboard quilt

Checkerboard quilt
Date: between 1910 and 1935
Checkerboard pattern quilt pieced with pale pink and blue cotton fabrics. The pieced blocks are shirting prints and gingham checks. This bedcover was used in the Hamilton home in north Topeka. It may have been made by Lena Hamilton.


Child's lounge

Child's lounge
Date: between 1895 and 1905
Child's lounge with carved wooden frame and plush textured burgandy upholstery. Given to Sarah Ellen "Saraleen" Curtis (1892-1989) as a child by her father, Robert M. Curtis (1841-1903), to furnish her playhouse in the yard of their home, located 412 Polk in Topeka. The playhosue had originally been built by a local contractor who sold it to Curtis after his own children outgrew it. In an 1893 interview with the Museum, Saraleen fondly remembered tea parties in the playhouse with her friends.


Child's quilt

Child's quilt
Creator: Mary L. Wilson Carl
Date: between 1940 and 1943
This child's quilt features 15 small embroidered figures on a white cotton ground. The figures are all animals, some anthropomorphized (e.g., duck with top hat and cane). The quilt has a pale blue border, white binding and backing and is machine-stitched, with both machine- and hand-quilting. Mary Carl (1865-1943) made this baby quilt in Parsons, Kansas, probably for her only great-grandson, William R. Hunter (1940-1985).


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.