Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Paul Scheufler interview, WWII oral history, Hutchinson, Kansas Paul Scheufler interview, WWII oral history, Hutchinson, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 626,655
Bookbag items: 37,074
Registered users: 11,217

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 19

Category Filters

Built Environment - Function - Defense - Military Facility - Officers' quarters

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 19 of 19 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Cheyenne Agency, Indian Territory

Cheyenne Agency, Indian Territory
Creator: Hunnius, Ado, 1842-1923
Date: January 16, 1876
This pencil sketch of the New Post of Cheyenne Agency, Indian Territory, is taken from the Ado Hunnius diary and depicts the post from "east of square." The drawing shows the post trader, C. S. store house, Adj. office, Q.M.[x]. House, and stables.


Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas

Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas
Date: April 30, 1879
This photograph shows a group of people gathered on the front porch of the commanding officers' quarters at Fort Dodge, Kansas. The military fort was established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, a member of the 11th Kansas Cavalry, to protect the United States mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail. The facility was located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail, a few miles southeast of present day Dodge City, Kansas.


Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas

Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas
Date: June 1869
This illustration, from Harper's New Monthly Magazine, shows the first Commanding Officers' Quarters at Fort Dodge, Kansas. The military fort was established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, a member of the 11th Kansas, to protect the United States mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail. The facility was located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail a few miles southeast of present day Dodge City, Kansas.


Commanding officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas

Commanding officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1920
This is a photograph of the commanding officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U. S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed on May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U. S. Army. In November 1866, Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U. S. Cavalry, the Fifth U. S. Infantry, and the Tenth U. S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Commanding officer's quarters at Fort Larned, March, 1875.

Commanding officer's quarters at Fort Larned, March, 1875.
Date: March 1875
View of the commanding officer's quarters at Fort Larned, March, 1875. Col. Lyster was the commanding officer.


Commanding officer's residence at Fort Larned

Commanding officer's residence at Fort Larned
Date: Between 1879 and 1889
Photo of the commanding officer's quarters at Fort Larned.


Fort Larned buildings

Fort Larned buildings
Date: 1962
Views of historic Fort Larned enlisted men's barracks and officer's quarters.


Fort Larned officers' quarters

Fort Larned officers' quarters
Creator: Sohl, Stanley D, 1924-1998
Date: 1956
This photograph shows the Fort Larned officers' quarters and commanding officers' quarters.


Fort Riley Avenue card

Fort Riley Avenue card
Creator: Pennell and Zellner
Date: Between 1891 and 1893
This is a cabinet card showing the residences along Fort Riley Avenue in Fort Riley, Kansas.


Fort Scott army post, officers quarters

Fort Scott army post, officers quarters
Date: Between 1890 and 1900
The Fort Scott officers quarters were constructed between 1842 to 1848. Army officers and their families who were posted at Fort Scott lived in the quarters.


John Edmund Yard seated on the porch of his quarters at Camp Supply, Indian Territory

John Edmund Yard seated on the porch of his quarters at Camp Supply, Indian Territory
Date: Between 1886 and 1887
A photograph showing a log building at Camp Supply, Indian Territory. The officer seated on the porch is Col. John Edmond Yard, who was later commander at Fort Hays, Kansas.


Officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas

Officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1960
A photograph of the officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Despatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866 Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Officer's quarters at Old Fort Larned, Kansas

Officer's quarters at Old Fort Larned, Kansas
Date: Between 1879 and 1889
These photographs and the colored postcard show the officer's quarters at old Fort Larned in the 1880's.


Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas

Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas
Date: Between January 01, 1865 and December 31, 1867
This photograph shows a view of Fort Dodge, Kansas. The military fort was established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, a member of the 11th Kansas Cavalry, to protect the U.S. mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail. The facility was located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail a few miles southeast of present day Dodge City, Kansas.


Officers' quarters, Fort Scott

Officers' quarters, Fort Scott
Date: 1842
This photograph, taken by an unknown photographer, depicts the officers' quarters at Fort Scott. The building to the left was Col. Charles W. Blair's residence, which was razed between 1905 and 1906. The site was identified in 1993 as HS-3, because of the sub-surface stone foundation which has survived. The building to the right was a boarding house and was identified in 1993 and HS-4. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Blair and Lincoln Avenues.


Officers' quarters at Camp Supply, Indian Territory

Officers' quarters at Camp Supply, Indian Territory
Date: Between 1886 and 1887
A photograph of women and children walking on a sidewalk in front of the officers' quarters, Camp Supply, Indian Territory. The young girl (second from left) is the daughter of Col. John Edmond Yard, who was later the commander at Fort Hays, Kansas.


Old military drive at Fort Scott, Kansas

Old military drive at Fort Scott, Kansas
Creator: Tresslar Bros., Fort Scott, KS.
Date: Between 1880 and 1889
This is a stereograph showing the old military drive and officers' quarters on the north side of the plaza at Fort Scott, Kansas.


Quartermasters' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas

Quartermasters' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas
Date: Between 1878 and 1880
This photograph shows the Quartermasters' Quarters at Fort Dodge, Kansas. The military fort was established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, a member of the 11th Kansas Cavalry, to protect the United States mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail. The facility was located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail a few miles southeast of present day Dodge City, Kansas.


Views of Fort Hays buildings before restoration

Views of Fort Hays buildings before restoration
Date: Between 1920 and 1970
Several photographs of buildings at Fort Hays. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Showing 1 - 19

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.