Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1800-1819 (15)
1820s (5)
1830s (11)
1840s (10)
1850s (3)
1854-1860 (23)
1861-1869 (8)
1870s (7)
1880s (10)
1890s (10)
1900s (7)
1910s (17)
1920s (1)
1930s (7)
1940s (2)
1950s (1)
1960s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

19310101

-

Random Item

Frankwood E. Williams Papers Frankwood E. Williams Papers

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 738,499
Bookbag items: 42,717
Registered users: 12,918

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 135

Category Filters

People - American Indians - Tribes - Sac and Fox

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 135 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1853 - Sac and Fox Agency

1853 - Sac and Fox Agency
Creator: Green, Charles R.
Date: September 1, 1853
This item lists tribes under the Superintendency of Indians Affairs in St. Louis headed by B.A. James and Colonel Alfred Cummings. In particular, the item lists the Ottawas, Chippewas of Swan Creek, and the Black River Sacs and Foxes.


Arthur Davis and Edward Butler, Sauk and Fox portrait

Arthur Davis and Edward Butler, Sauk and Fox portrait
Date: Undated
This portrait shows Arthur Davis and Edward Butler of the Sauk and Fox Nation, today the common spelling is Sac and Fox. Arthur Davis is the son of Wawpelawpe who is the son of Mokohoko. Mokohoko was the leader of the Sac and Fox Nation in 1869 and fought to remain in Kansas until the late 1880s rather than emigrate to Oklahoma.


Arthur Spitto and Ella Masquat

Arthur Spitto and Ella Masquat
Date: Between 1890 and 1899
This is a photograph of Arthur Spitto and his wife Ella Masquat (We Ko Ka Ma Ge). She was a member of the Sac & Fox tribe.


Bark covered Sac and Fox lodge house

Bark covered Sac and Fox lodge house
Date: Between 1850 and 1870
Sac and Fox tribal members in front of bark covered lodge house.


Bisque Doll Leg from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bisque Doll Leg from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
Shown is a bisque doll leg from the toes up to the knee. It was found during excavations at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Black Hawk, Sauk Indian

Black Hawk, Sauk Indian
Creator: Catlin, George, 1796-1872
Date: 1832
This portrait, painted by the well-known artist George Catlin, depicts the fierce leader of the Sauk and Fox tribe after his arrest in 1832. Black Hawk and some of his tribe had resisted removal from their land in Illinois to lands west of the Mississippi River, but the Black Hawk War, as it came to be known, ended in defeat. The original of this portrait is on exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery, which is part of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. The Sauk and Fox would eventually be relocated to Kansas.


Bone and Shell Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bone and Shell Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These buttons were recovered from excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers in 1994. The shell buttons retain traces of incised scallops around the edge and their small size suggests they were used on children's clothing or underwear. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired the property in 1941 and transferred it to the Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska in 2022.


Bottles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bottles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
Shown are two small bottles that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Both bottles likely once held medicine or pharmaceuticals.


Buckles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buckles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These buckles and strap slides were recovered from excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers in 1994. The upper left slide was patented on May 2nd, 1867. The upper right artifact may have been a suspender buckle and was made by the Nashawannuk Manufacturing Company of Easthampton, Massachusetts, who began making suspenders in 1850. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired the property in 1941 and transferred it to the Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska in 2022.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1886
Shown are three of many buttons that were recovered from excavation at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, in Doniphan County. The Mission was built as a boarding school for Iowa and Sac and Fox children and later changed its purpose to an Orphan Indian Institute. Shown are a four hole sew through wooden or bone button with a fifth hole partially drilled in the center. The small shell button is also a four hole sew through, and likely was used for a child's or infant's clothing. The final button shown is a four hole dish china button with a brown asterisk calico pattern.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These seven buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are a brass button front with a Greek Key pattern and two shell buttons, one with an inset center and the other a three-hole button in a floral shape. Additionally, there are four china buttons: two four-hole dish buttons (one with traces of purple coloring), a three-hole dish button and a two-hole Prosser button in two shades of brown.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These five buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are three four-hole sew through buttons, one each of wood, china, and shell. Also shown is a brown china two-hole sew through button and a shell and brass loop or shank style button.


Charles R. Green to George W. Martin

Charles R. Green to George W. Martin
Creator: Green, Charles R.
Date: June 28, 1910
In this letter to George W. Martin, Charles R. Green addresses details of Sac and Fox history.


Charles R. Green to George W. Martin

Charles R. Green to George W. Martin
Creator: Green, Charles R.
Date: June 20, 1910
In this letter to George W. Martin, Charles R. Green addresses information related to the Sac and Fox tribe. Green, proprietor of Green's Library and Museum in Olathe, Kansas, explains that he interviewed a missionary named Samuel Black, who once served as a missionary for the Sac and Fox. Green explains that Black assisted in recruiting African American men to fight in Company K, 1st U.S. Colored Troops.


Chief Moses Keokuk

Chief Moses Keokuk
Date: Between 1880 and 1890
This cabinet card shows Chief Moses Keokuk of the Sac and Fox tribe. Moses was the son of Keokuk, the United States government-recognized leader of the Sac and Fox. Upon Keokuk's death in 1848, Moses assumed his father's position and followed a policy of cooperation with the United States government.


Chief Pashepaho

Chief Pashepaho
Date: 1884
This photograph shows Chief Pashepaho of the Sauk. The tribes, also spelled Sac, is recognized today as the Sac and Fox Nations.


Chief Pashepaho and Sauk Indian tribe

Chief Pashepaho and Sauk Indian tribe
Date: 1884
This photograph shows the Sauk Tribe, also spelled Sac and recognized today as the Sac and Fox Nation. Standing in the center of the men is Chief Pashepaho of the Sauk. Chief Pashepaho joined Mokohoko and his band in 1869 in their refusal to move to Oklahoma and fight to remain in Kansas which lasted until the late 1880s.


Chronology of the Iowa and Sac and Fox Indians in Doniphan County, Kansas

Chronology of the Iowa and Sac and Fox Indians in Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: 1882
This chronology details major events occurring between 1837-1855 among the Iowa and Sac and Fox Indians who had been relocated to Kansas after the Indian Removal Act of 1830. Topics mentioned within the chronology include warfare among relocated tribes, the arrival of white emigrants, disease, mission buildings, and treaties ceding land to the United States government. During the period covered in this item unfolded a large number of white settlers began moving into the lands that the tribes occupied, especially after the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854.


Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1854-1864
Shown are two coins that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. The 1854 half dime shows a seated Liberty, 13 stars, and an arrow on each side of the year on the obverse side. The arrows indicate that that the coin weight had been reduced. The reverse of the half dime shows the face value of the coin, a wreath, and the words "UNITED STATES of AMERICA." The 2¢ coin's obverse side shows a shield with "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the banner and the mint date of 1864. The reverse side is too corroded to discern what was present.


Coronado's route to Quivira, 1541

Coronado's route to Quivira, 1541
Creator: Ritchey, William E
Date: 1903
This map of Kansas Territory in 1856 shows Coronado's route to and from Quivira in 1541. The Santa Fe Trail is annotated in red. On the reverse is a newspaper article with a map drawn by George Allen Root showing Coronado's route to Quivira and giving distances between points. There is a note from W[illiam] E Ritchey, Harveyville, Kansas, July 9, 1903, to A. R. Greene, Special Inspector, Department of the Interior requesting that Greene mention Ritchey's work in an article that will be published by the Kansas Historical Society. The location of a number of Indian reservations are shown on the map.


Decorated Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Decorated Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These buttons were recovered from excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers in 1994. Shown are a variety of button styles: loop, shank, overall button, and button fronts. The black button with the loop motif has a back mark that reads "N R CO GOODYEAR'S P=T 1851." This is the mark of the Novelty Rubber Company that manufactured these type of buttons between 1853 and 1872. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired the property in 1941 and transferred it to the Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska in 2022.


Dinner Plate from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dinner Plate from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1870
This partial dinner plate was recovered from excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers in 1994. The scalloped shell-like edge is a transferware pattern called "shell-edged" that was popular from the late 1700s to the 1860s. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired the property in 1941 and transferred it to the Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska in 2022.


Dishes from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dishes from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These six dish sherds were recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The sherds represent six different plates or cups and are either decorated by hand painting or by transfer printing. They depict floral and landscape motifs. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1831-1905
This aqua patent medicine bottle was recovered from excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The medicine was advertised as being for "sprains, bruises, etc." David Jayne, 1798/99-1866, offered various cures from 1831 onward. The medicinal line continued to make the products after Jayne's death. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1831-1905
This aqua patent medicine bottle was recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The medicine was advertised as being for "sprains, bruises, etc." David Jayne, 1798/99-1866, offered various cures from 1831 onward. The medicinal line continued to make the products after Jayne's death. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2023 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.