Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1700-1799 (1)
1800-1820 (9)
1830s (10)
1840s (8)
1850s (2)
1854-1860 (17)
1861-1869 (4)
1870s (2)
1880s (1)
1890s (1)
1900s (3)
1910s (1)
1930s (6)
1940s (2)
2000s (2)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Independent Oil Company, Topeka, Kansas Independent Oil Company, Topeka, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,308
Bookbag items: 35,864
Registered users: 10,930

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 69

Category Filters

People - American Indians - Tribes - Iowa

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 69 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Bisque Doll Leg from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bisque Doll Leg from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
Shown is a bisque doll leg from the toes up to the knee. It was found during excavations at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Bottles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bottles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
Shown are two small bottles that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Both bottles likely once held medicine or pharmaceuticals.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1886
Shown are three of many buttons that were recovered from excavation at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, in Doniphan County. The Mission was built as a boarding school for Iowa and Sac and Fox children and later changed its purpose to an Orphan Indian Institute. Shown are a four hole sew through wooden or bone button with a fifth hole partially drilled in the center. The small shell button is also a four hole sew through, and likely was used for a child's or infant's clothing. The final button shown is a four hole dish china button with a brown asterisk calico pattern.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These seven buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are a brass button front with a Greek Key pattern and two shell buttons, one with an inset center and the other a three-hole button in a floral shape. Additionally, there are four china buttons: two four-hole dish buttons (one with traces of purple coloring), a three-hole dish button and a two-hole Prosser button in two shades of brown.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These five buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are three four-hole sew through buttons, one each of wood, china, and shell. Also shown is a brown china two-hole sew through button and a shell and brass loop or shank style button.


Chief White Cloud

Chief White Cloud
Date: Between 1930 and 1939
This is a postcard showing James White Cloud "The gro-wo-nung" born May 15, 1840, on the Iowa Indian Mission east of Highland Kansas. He served in the Union Army as a Scout for Company C of the 14th Kansas Cavalry. From 1866 until his death on July 16, 1940, he served as Chief of the Iowa Indian Nation.


Chief of the Iowas drawing

Chief of the Iowas drawing
Creator: McKenney, Thomas Loraine, 1785-1859
Date: 1933
This is a drawing of Mahaskah, Chief of the Iowas, and son of Chief Mahaska and Rantchewaime. On the death of his father, Mahaskah was unanimously elected chief of the Iowas. The bear claws worn around his neck in this drawing belonged to his father. The drawing was copied from "The Indian Tribes Of North America with Biographical Sketches and Anecdotes of the Principal Chiefs" by Thomas L. McKenney and James Hall, new edition, edited by Frederick Webb Hodge.


Chronology of the Iowa and Sac and Fox Indians in Doniphan County, Kansas

Chronology of the Iowa and Sac and Fox Indians in Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: 1882
This chronology details major events occurring between 1837-1855 among the Iowa and Sac and Fox Indians who had been relocated to Kansas after the Indian Removal Act of 1830. Topics mentioned within the chronology include warfare among relocated tribes, the arrival of white emigrants, disease, mission buildings, and treaties ceding land to the United States government.


Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1854-1864
Shown are two coins that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. The 1854 half dime shows a seated Liberty, 13 stars, and an arrow on each side of the year on the obverse side. The arrows indicate that that the coin weight had been reduced. The reverse of the half dime shows the face value of the coin, a wreath, and the words "UNITED STATES of AMERICA." The 2¢ coin's obverse side shows a shield with "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the banner and the mint date of 1864. The reverse side is too corroded to discern what was present.


Colonel Don Estevan Miro to the Ioway Indians

Colonel Don Estevan Miro to the Ioway Indians
Date: March 15, 1784
This document was presented to Antoine Burada by his uncle, George Campbell. George Campbell was the "half-breed" son of Vance Murray Campbell, a fur trader and U. S. treaty interpreter, who fathered several children by the daughter of No Heart, an Ioway chief. Their daughter Emily (sister of George) married Michael T. Barada. Their son Antoine Barada (1863-1924) of White Cloud, Kansas, was one of several by that name in the Ioway and Omaha tribes, so he is not to be confused with his first cousin Antoine Barada (1807-1885) of Barada, Nebraska, a celebrated figure in that state's folklore. This is the Antoine Barada who signed the treaty between the United States and the Kansas Nation, at St. Louis, in 1815. The document is addressed to "de la Nacion Ayoas" - the Ioway nation - and was signed by Colonel Don Estevan Miro, who was the Spanish governor of Louisiana during the period when it was secretly deeded by the French to the Spanish. It was presented to the Iowa Nation at the Spanish Office of the Province of Louisiana, at New Orleans, March 15, 1784. This document was donated to the Kansas Historical Society circa 1905 according to the Transactions of KSHS, vol. 9 (1905-1906), p. 251, note 55.


Die Indianer der Vereinigten Staaten

Die Indianer der Vereinigten Staaten
Creator: Hunnius, Ado, 1842-1923
Date: 1870-1900
This item contains an article on the Indians of the United States written by Carl Julius Adolph Hunnius. Known as Ado to his friends and colleagues, Hunnius was a Civil War veteran, Indian Wars veteran, artist, writer, and long time resident of Kansas. The article, printed entirely in German, contains information compiled by Hunnius on the Native American tribes in the United States. Details include the branch of the tribe (Stamm), place of residence (Wohnsitz), county, and the total number of men, women and children (Manner, Weiber, und Kinder) for each tribe. The information provided in the article was taken from the offical reports of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs. The article also mentions that there were a total of 100,000 civilized Indians, 135,000 half-civilized Indians, and 81,000 "Wild" Indians.


Dishes from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dishes from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These six dish sherds were recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The sherds represent six different plates or cups and are either decorated by hand painting or by transfer printing. They depict floral and landscape motifs. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1831-1905
This aqua patent medicine bottle was recovered from excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The medicine was advertised as being for "sprains, bruises, etc." David Jayne, 1798/99-1866, offered various cures from 1831 onward. The medicinal line continued to make the products after Jayne's death. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1831-1905
This aqua patent medicine bottle was recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The medicine was advertised as being for "sprains, bruises, etc." David Jayne, 1798/99-1866, offered various cures from 1831 onward. The medicinal line continued to make the products after Jayne's death. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Eastman's map of Kansas and Nebraska territories showing the location of the Indian reserves according to the treaties of 1854

Eastman's map of Kansas and Nebraska territories showing the location of the Indian reserves according to the treaties of 1854
Date: Between 1854 and 1856
This map shows the locations of the new or reduced lands of Indian tribes according to the treaties of 1854. With the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854, the former Indian Territory was opened to white settlement, and the government looked for ways to relocate the native tribes who had made their homes in Kansas. To create more land for white settlement, George Manypenny, the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, negotiated treaties with Indian tribes that ceded much of the Indians' lands to the government. This land could then be sold to white emigrants. Naturally, these events helped to exacerbate existing tensions between settlers and Native Americans, contributing to the Indian Wars that occupied the U.S. Army during and after the American Civil War.


Emil Campbell audio interview on experiences in World War II

Emil Campbell audio interview on experiences in World War II
Creator: Campbell, Emil
Private First Class [PFC] Campbell was drafted into the Army (Infantry) in 1942 and served until 1946 in the Company B, 324th Regiment, 82nd Infantry Division, 9th Army. He was in an anti aircraft group that trained at Camp Wallace near Galveston, Texas. He ultimately served in Europe. He describes what they saw on Omaha Beach about a month after the invations, the Siegfried Line, Berlin, and other places in Europe. He was interviewed by Suzette McCord-Rogers. He was born on the Iowa Reservation in Brown County, Kansas, on September 9, 1923. He said that he only finished 10th grade but that he also attended Haskell Institute (now Haskell Indian Nations University) in Lawrence, Kansas, for 2 years. After the war, he used the G. I. Bill for training to become a furniture finisher and upholsterer. He indicated that furniture refinishing was his occupation but at another point in the interview he said he worked in a packing house in Omaha, Nebraska. He also used the G. I. Bill for a home loan. The 2005 Kansas Legislature passed a bill funding the WWII Veterans Oral History grant program. This transcript is from one of the nine community institutions that received these grants. The transcript from the interview is presented here; the original audio copy of the interview is available through the Doniphan County Historical Society (Troy) and through the Kansas State Historical Society.


George A. Root to Mr. Elliott of Coffeyville

George A. Root to Mr. Elliott of Coffeyville
Creator: Root, George A. (George Allen), 1867-1949
Date: February 22, 1933
In this letter to Mr. Elliott of Coffeyville, Kansas State Historical Society Curator of Archives George A. Root provides some brief information regarding Samuel Irvin. Root explains that Irvin "arrived in Kansas in 1837, and established at Highland a mission for the Iowa and Sac Indians. He is described as a man of slight build, and absolutely fearless."


Glen Campbell video interview on experiences in World War II

Glen Campbell video interview on experiences in World War II
Creator: Campbell, Glen
Private Campbell enlisted in the Army (Infantry) in 1941 and served until 1943 in the Co. B, 134th Infantry Division, 35th Division; Special Services. He worked in a movie theater in Mineal Wells, Texas. He used the G. I. Bill for a home loan. He had joined the National Guard with friends before he enlisted in the Army. He was interviewed by Suzette McCord-Rogers. He was born on the Iowa reservation near White Cloud, Kansas, on September 1, 1919. He attended school in Seattle, Washington; Genoa, Nebraska; and Haskell Indian Junior College in Lawrence, Kansas. He did not graduate from Haskell. He worked with a carnival for a number of years before the war running a concession stand. In 1937, he worked in a Civilian Conservation Camp in Montana. After the war, he worked for General Motors in Kansas City for 27 years. The 2005 Kansas Legislature passed a bill funding the WWII Veterans Oral History grant program. This transcript is from one of the nine community institutions that received these grants. The transcript from the interview is presented here; the original video copy of the interview is available through the Doniphan County Historical Society (Troy) and through the Kansas State Historical Society.


H.E. Bruce to Charles Cecil Howes

H.E. Bruce to Charles Cecil Howes
Creator: Bruce, H.E.
Date: May 18, 1939
These are several items from H.E. Bruce that were sent to Charles Cecil Howes. The first item is a letter from Bruce to Howes that concerns the meeting Bruce was having with the Potawatomies on May 21, 1939. Bruce, U.S. Indian Agent for the Potawatomie, attached a copy of the 43-page speech that he was going to give, as well as a sample ballot that was going to be used "in voting on certain questions." In the end, Bruce explained to Howes that "agitators have stirred up a very unwholesome situation, which I think this meeting will largely overcome."


History of Kansas and emigrant's guide

History of Kansas and emigrant's guide
Creator: Chapman, J. Butler
Date: 1855
The title page of the printed volume indicated that it contained "a description geographical and topographical--also climate, soil, productions and comparative value with other states and territories, including its political history, officers-candidates-emigrant colonies-election, abolition, squatter and pro-slavery contentions and inquisitions; with the prospects of the territory for freedom or slavery." Mr. Chapman was a resident of the territory and the information in the booklet was compiled by traveling through Kansas Territory in 1854. The description covers most of the territory and includes information about Native American tribes and lands.


Home Sweet Home Cap

Home Sweet Home Cap
Date: 1904
This black velvet cap was donated in 1980 to the Kansas Historical Society. The interior is cotton lined with the sides stiffened with cardboard. The exterior decorated with "1904" in white beads and "HOME SWEET HOME" in gold beads and embellishments. On top there is a velvet covered button surrounded by beads and tassels with beaded loops. Caps such as these were made and sold by Ioway Indians at the White Cloud Agency.


Iowa Indians

Iowa Indians
Creator: Catlin, George, 1796-1872
Date: between 1840 and 1850
Group of Iowa Indians copied from The Iowa (1911) by William Harvey Miner.


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1938 and 1945
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: 1938
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission in Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission in Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.