Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Irrigation canal, Finney County, Kansas Irrigation canal, Finney County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 734,162
Bookbag items: 39,221
Registered users: 12,012

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 61

Category Filters

People - American Indians - Tribes - Kaw

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 61 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Abraders from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Abraders from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1700 CE
These abraders were recovered from Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1981. Archeologists call these abraders groundstone tools as they are shaped by grinding. The sandstone abraders could be used as pairs, one on each side, to smooth a wood shaft or individually to sharpen or smooth other items. The Fanning site was a Late Ceramic to early Contact Period village occupied by the Kansa.


Ammunition from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Ammunition from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1840-1870
These seven round pellets and one spent bullet were recovered during excavations at the 2016 and 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field schools at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. The round pellets and bullet were made of soft lead that was melted and poured into molds. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Animal Effigy from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Animal Effigy from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1700 CE
This stone animal effigy was recovered from the Fanning site in Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1981. It has been suggested that the effigy represents a lizard-like figure, but it could equally represent some other animal. Holes have been drilled into the effigy, perhaps in preparation for making this piece a pipe. The Fanning site was a Late Ceramic to early Contact Period village occupied by the Kansa.


Arrow Points from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Arrow Points from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These arrow points were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. The side-notched arrow point on the left is made of Smoky Hill silicified chalk, which outcrops in western Kansas and Nebraska. The corner-notched arrow point on the right is made of local Flint Hills chert that was heated prior to its completion to make it easier to knap. The notches aided in hafting the points to the arrow shafts. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and may have been one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Bell Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Bell Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These bell fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. The bells are made of sheet metal and are decorated with two lines encircling the waist (body) of the bell. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and may have been one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Bone Button from Fool Chief's Village, 14SH305

Bone Button from Fool Chief's Village, 14SH305
Date: 1830-1844
This button was recovered from Fool Chief's Village, a Kansa village in Shawnee County that was the site of the 2012 Kansas Archeology Training Program after which excavations continued through 2013. This style of button was made of chow shin bone and used on men's shirts and underwear. The center hole was from the manufacturing process in which a hole was drilled in the bone to mount it on a lathe. The center hole would not have been used when sewing the button onto clothing. The button is 3/4" in diameter.


Bone Gaming Pieces from Fool Chief's Village, 14SH305

Bone Gaming Pieces from Fool Chief's Village, 14SH305
Date: 1828-1844
These bone gaming pieces were recovered from Fool Chief's Village, a Kansa village in Shawnee County that was the site of the 2012 Kansas Archeology Training Program after which excavations continued through 2013. Sometimes called a cup and pin game, the goal was to catch the deer phalanges, shown here, on a bone pin, scoring points for the number caught.


Bottle Bases with Pontil Scars from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Bottle Bases with Pontil Scars from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These bottle bases were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. Each base shows a pontil scar, also called a ring pontil, that indicates the bottle was made using a blow pipe. This type of scar is common from the 1750s through the 1910s, though their frequency began to decline with the advent of bottle making machines in the 1880s. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Bracelet Fragment from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Bracelet Fragment from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
This bracelet was recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. The brass bracelet has remnants of applied flowers and vines attached by soldering. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and may have been one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Bracelets from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Bracelets from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These bracelet fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. They are made of brass and are decorated in a variety of lines, no two exactly alike. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century. These bracelets date from the Kansa occupation.


Brass Earrings from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Brass Earrings from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These earring fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. The earrings are made of brass and are decorated with a variety of lines. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and may have been one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Brass Pendant from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Brass Pendant from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
This brass pendant for an earring or necklace was recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century. This pendant dates from the Kansa occupation.


Brass Rings or Earrings from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Brass Rings or Earrings from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These ring or earring fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. The rings are made of brass and are decorated with a variety of lines. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century. This jewelry dates from the Kansa occupation.


Comb Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Comb Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These lice comb fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. Lice combs like these have long fine metal teeth used to remove lice infestations from the hair. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Cone Tinklers from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Cone Tinklers from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These cone tinklers were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. Tinklers were used to decorate hair, clothes and other objects. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century. The tinklers date from the Kansa occupation.


Decorated Dish Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Decorated Dish Fragments from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These dish fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site with shell-edged, transferware, bandedware, and flow blue patterns. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


Decorated Pipe Bowls from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Decorated Pipe Bowls from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These clay pipe bowl fragments were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. All were mass produced using molds, but each pipe bowl is decorated in a different style below the rim. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century.


English Gunflints from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

English Gunflints from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These gunflints were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol to ignite the powder and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These gunflints were quarried and manufactured in southern England. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century. These gunflints date from the Kansa occupation.


English Gunflints from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

English Gunflints from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These gunflints were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol to ignite the powder and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These gunflints were quarried and manufactured in southern England. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century. These gunflints date from the Kansa occupation.


French Gunflints from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

French Gunflints from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These gunflints were recovered from an archeological site in Morris County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2020. The square gunflints were quarried and manufactured in France. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol to ignite the gunpowder and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period (8000 to 2000 years ago) to the late 1800s and was one of three large Kansa sites along the Neosho River occupied during the mid-19th century. These gunflints date from the Kansa occupation.


Gaming Piece from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Gaming Piece from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1700 CE
This ceramic disk was made from a broken pottery sherd that was ground into a circular gaming piece. The piece may have then been used in games of chance such as the bowl and dice game played by the Kansa and other Siouan tribes. It was recovered from the Fanning site in Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1981. The Fanning site was a Late Ceramic to early Contact Period village occupied by the Kansa.


Gaming Piece from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Gaming Piece from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1700 CE
This ceramic disk was made from a broken pottery sherd that was ground into a circular gaming piece. The piece may have then been used in games of chance such as the bowl and dice game played by the Kansa and other Siouan tribes. It was recovered from the Fanning site in Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1981. The Fanning site was a Late Ceramic to early Contact Period village occupied by the Kansa.


Glass Bead and Turquoise Colored Glass from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Glass Bead and Turquoise Colored Glass from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1700 CE
These turquoise colored glass artifacts, one a bead and the other a melted fragment, were recovered from the Fanning site in Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1981. The melted fragment may have once formed a bead similar to the one shown. Beads such as this were widely traded until the 1850s. The Fanning site was a Late Ceramic to early Contact period Kansa village.


Grinding Slab from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Grinding Slab from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1700 CE
This grinding slab was recovered from Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1981. A grinding slab or metate is the lowermost millstone for grinding foods or pigments by hand. Traces of a red pigment remain on one side of this example. The Fanning site was a Late Ceramic to early Contact Period village occupied by the Kansa.


Grinding Slab from the Fanning Site, 14DP1

Grinding Slab from the Fanning Site, 14DP1
Date: 1500-1700 CE
This grinding slab was recovered from the Fanning site in Doniphan County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1981. Grinding slabs like this one are the lowermost millstone for grinding foods or pigments by hand. This one has been used on both sides. The Fanning site was a Late Ceramic to early Contact Period village occupied by the Kansa.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.